Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #2: February 2013

'Scuse me, I need some 'alone' time after watching this...

What can I say? I loved it. I now have no doubt in my mind that I backed the right project.

The customizability looks great, the long-range bombardment looks great, seeing a shield drop on a cap ship? Great!

Oh yeah, and there is no such thing as too many missiles. That looked epic.

Just two minor questions;

1) What happens when you're in the holographic interface and you set the color to the hover color (the reddish one)?

2) I saw that there was no mention of energy requirements for the weapons in the inventory, just their range and type. I'm guessing that even though energy distribution is set up in the interface, that energy generation isn't yet created? Or is it completely dynamic? (weapons, engines, and the like adjust their 100% to be in balance/sync with the rest of the items equipped)

Great progress Josh! It's nice to put a visual to all the stuff we read in the dev logs!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:1) What happens when you're in the holographic interface and you set the color to the hover color (the reddish one)?

2) I saw that there was no mention of energy requirements for the weapons in the inventory, just their range and type. I'm guessing that even though energy distribution is set up in the interface, that energy generation isn't yet created? Or is it completely dynamic? (weapons, engines, and the like adjust their 100% to be in balance/sync with the rest of the items equipped)

Great progress Josh! It's nice to put a visual to all the stuff we read in the dev logs!
:)

Ah yes, great questions. 1) I'll need to do something about that, as you're right, it would prevent you from knowing that something is hovered. Maybe automatically set it to the opposite color? Or maybe I will allow the user to choose a "primary" and "secondary" color for the interface, and it will use those colors all over the place (like primary for non-hovered, secondary for hovered).

2) You're right, energy requirements are not implemented yet! I'm not exactly sure how it will work yet though. IMO, the dynamic element definitely changes the way this will work. For example, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to, in your fighter, equip a powerful beam weapon that's usually fitted to destroyers - knowing that to get anything out of it you'll basically have to turn off your other subsystems, and it's pretty much the only weapon you'll be able to use at any given time. I think the hard restriction should be more about the size of the hardpoint than the energy requirements of the generation, although maybe there is a hard floor. Open to thoughts/suggs on this :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I loved the video enough I hate to give criticism, constructive or otherwise. I'm definitely looking forward to when this comes out. That said, I thought of two points during the video.

1) Could you add a reset button to the power distribution menu? Maybe even a few presets like "All power to engines"?

2) Even though those looked like dumbfire missiles, will/do capital turrets engage them in a point-defense mode? Will such a mode be implemented?

What I can suggest after watching this movie is this:
A user-defined shortcut to save power configuration and then recall it whenever you need.

I don't want to make it sound too complicated so here's how I would see it:
1) you set engines to 10% and weapons to full, then hit (for example) SHIFT+1
2) you then set 10% to weapons and engines to full and hit SHIFT+2
3) when you press 1, you get "full weapons mode" while pressing 2 will give you "full engines" mode.

I would love this as anyone could define the setup they need as well as keys they want these setups to be available under.
Rest is yours to judge ;)

Other than that, wonderful job :)
I don't know how you plan to include all the players' suggestion in the game considering you're just one human being there, but if there's anyone capable of doing it, I believe it's you :)

I also do get a feeling I've backed the right project :)

First off, I loved the video. Can't wait to see what the end of March will bring us. One thing I did notice is that your asteroids are rather unmoved by your antics of shooting at them. Will they remain stationary, or will they move about a bit?

And the railgun... Well, if the weapons are generated procedurally, as you had said before, there is a chance of a ranged weapon that's as powerful as your railgun. So... here's hoping.

Good luck with the March & April Combat Extravaganca (aka MACE) with regards to getting the prototype ready. And I hope that when you release the prototype you won't forget about the other gameplay elements, such as trading, and mining and stuff like that. :)
Last edited by madjo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed

Akarius Trent wrote:What I can suggest after watching this movie is this:
A user-defined shortcut to save power configuration and then recall it whenever you need.

I don't want to make it sound too complicated so here's how I would see it:
1) you set engines to 10% and weapons to full, then hit (for example) SHIFT+1
2) you then set 10% to weapons and engines to full and hit SHIFT+2
3) when you press 1, you get "full weapons mode" while pressing 2 will give you "full engines" mode.
This is a similar to the idea of how you control multiple squads in current RTS games. Ctrl + F1-F10 to set, then Alt + F1-F10 to recall.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Every time I think it can't possibly look any slicker or better, you find ways of defying expectations, Josh, in all the best ways. The game is looking incredible, and I think we can all wait as long as it takes for the prototype. On the plus side, it's probably best to have a bit more time to cool our heels. Once we get even the slightest taste of the space-faring deliciousness that is Limit Theory, we'll want the whole enchilada. :mrgreen:

Looking great Josh :)

As mentioned above, when watching the video it crossed my mind that a "reset" button would be useful for the power distribution, but the later suggestions for pre assigning numbers or F keys is even better idea (maybe both!).

Also that rail gun - please leave that in - even if it costs a planet or two, I want one!

Great job, keep up the good work. Enjoy your day off!
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

I'm in total agreement with you guys about making power distribution shortcuts. I will add buttons for resetting the grid / turning individual systems to 0 / 50 /100 %. And yes, later on down the line, I am planning to allow creation/saving of "presets" that can be bound to hotkeys, so that you can, for example, hit Ctrl-1 for "all power to weapons" or Ctrl-2 for "shields up" in the middle of battle without having to go through the interface. Want to make it as fast and easy as possible :D

HowSerendipitous wrote:Well, it was 1:20 am when I got home from my other half's house. I remembered the Limit Theory update and fired up the PC. Now it's 1:46 am and I have to get up for work in 5 and a bit hours.

Totally worth it though. :twisted:

Was hoping to see the Molecular Disruptor in action though!
Bah, sorry, I completely forgot to show beam weapons in this one (that's what the disruptor was). Although, not much has changed with beam weapons, except that they now have a sound :?

Online Now