Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

ToreadorVampire wrote:Pish, that's a TIE Advanced, not a regular 'Fighter'

Edit: Yes, I came to the forums to point that out before I watched the actual update video. My priorities are screwed up.
Come now, I've already been corrected by three people on KS :P Why'd it take you so long!!

:roll:

PS ~ IMO, your priorities are spot-on ;) Star Wars comes first.

Always.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Looks like a TIe Bomber to me... I remember the tie advanced having more square side panels with pointy things on them.

Seems we gained a lot of new info on LT!

Question: How do hardpoints get decided? Do players add them by adding equipment? Or is there a limited amount of hardpoints per factor?

I *loved* the RTS interface. The hologram style suits very nicely. Makes me feel like a commander in Star Wars.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

What the vampire dude said. The tactical interface visuals are the shiggedy shiznit/bee's knees/cat's pyjamas of tactical interface visuals. They remind me of the stuff shown in the saturday morning cartoons I used to watch as a child (well, Galaxy Rangers and Ulysses 31 mostly, in this case), and that's a damn good thing in my book. Definitely the best thing I've seen on a computer screen this week.
Looks like a TIe Bomber to me... I remember the tie advanced having more square side panels with pointy things on them.
Nah, the bombers have 2 hulls between the side panels. It's Vader's personal TIE figher, as seen in the first movie.
Image (From top left, clockwise: TIE Defender, TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, TIE Fighter, TIE Advanced, and another TIE Fighter)
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

HowSerendipitous wrote:Perfect timing. Dinner + Video.
Perfect, I was hoping I would get it right :D
Katorone wrote:Looks like a TIe Bomber to me... I remember the tie advanced having more square side panels with pointy things on them.

Seems we gained a lot of new info on LT!

Question: How do hardpoints get decided? Do players add them by adding equipment? Or is there a limited amount of hardpoints per factor?

I *loved* the RTS interface. The hologram style suits very nicely. Makes me feel like a commander in Star Wars.
Hardpoints are a property of the ship. Each ship type has a certain number/arrangement of various types of hardpoints, like turret, engine, generator, etc. If you design your own ship, you can customize the location/number of hardpoints.

Glad you like it, "commander in Star Wars" is exactly what I was going for ;)
Hardenberg wrote:What the vampire dude said.
:lol:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I love the RTS interface!
I do have some suggestions though.
1) Height Lines.
What I mean:
It looks like in the RTS interface you have a plane with a grid that goes through it. A height line would be a line from an object (ship) to that plane such that the line is perpendicular to the plane. When an object is above the plane this line might be green. When an object is below the plane this line might be red. (note, asteroids should probably not have hight lines as they would create a lot of clutter)
2) Movement Vectors.
What I mean:
Similar to height lines a movement vector would be a (blue?) line drawn from an object (ship) in the direction it is going with the length of the line indicating it's speed. Since this is space and you could theoretically accelerate in one direction, then spin your ship around and face "backwards" while still flying in the original direction being able to see where things are heading and how fast at a glace might be nice.
3) Unit Icons.
What I mean:
You mention in the video as things get small you'll replace them with icons. If this interface is supposed to scale to very large battles with say dozens or more capital ships then keeping track of every little fighter may become difficult. That being the case then perhaps ships could be grouped as units with a single icon representing them. Units wouldn't even have to be created in advance (but they could be?) as they could be determined ad hoc, for example if I select 4 ships and then issue the follow command then they become a de facto unit as they are all doing the same thing. Likewise if I select 3 ships and tell them to attack a specific target then they become a de facto unit. Hovering the mouse over the unit icon could give you a listing of the ships in that unit.

Both would be toggleable so you could show or hide them as desired.

JoshParnell wrote:
Katorone wrote: Question: How do hardpoints get decided? Do players add them by adding equipment? Or is there a limited amount of hardpoints per factor?
Hardpoints are a property of the ship. Each ship type has a certain number/arrangement of various types of hardpoints, like turret, engine, generator, etc. If you design your own ship, you can customize the location/number of hardpoints.
Interesting!

When designing our own ship do we have to define the type? Will there be a limited number of hardpoints?

Will there be any limit of modules you can fit in a hull (power generators, cargo bay, docking bay, ...) besides the size/factor of the ship?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now