Return to “General”

Re: THE May, 2014 Devlog Discussion

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Everyone quoting the same line :lol:
Of course! This is big news.
Dev Log wrote: Inject a bit of planetary orbital asteroid field action, just for fun ;)
On another note, most of the reason why there was no orbital mechanics in the first place from what I understand is because of things like the trade lanes. If you have one go through an asteroid field, it could lead to sudden death without any way to prevent it (you might not know an asteroid is cross at the far end). I'm really curious if this issue is taken into consideration, or if some ideas have changed.

Either way, I loves me some orbital asteroid field action! :thumbup: :clap:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:On another note, most of the reason why there was no orbital mechanics in the first place from what I understand is because of things like the trade lanes. If you have one go through an asteroid field, it could lead to sudden death without any way to prevent it (you might not know an asteroid is cross at the far end). I'm really curious if this issue is taken into consideration, or if some ideas have changed.
Possible solution

ThymineC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:On another note, most of the reason why there was no orbital mechanics in the first place from what I understand is because of things like the trade lanes. If you have one go through an asteroid field, it could lead to sudden death without any way to prevent it (you might not know an asteroid is cross at the far end). I'm really curious if this issue is taken into consideration, or if some ideas have changed.
Possible solution
I was mostly referring to a trade lane crossing an asteroid field like the one above to get to a planet. I do like your idea though to solve for planetary orbital mechanics.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Pretty sure he just means there's a ring of asteroids around the planet with fixed positions.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

DWMagus wrote:
Dev Log wrote: Inject a bit of planetary orbital asteroid field action, just for fun ;)
On another note, most of the reason why there was no orbital mechanics in the first place from what I understand is because of things like the trade lanes. If you have one go through an asteroid field, it could lead to sudden death without any way to prevent it (you might not know an asteroid is cross at the far end). I'm really curious if this issue is taken into consideration, or if some ideas have changed.

wait wait wait, the Rings move?! Omg :clap:

As to dangers of collision from moving asteroids, couldn't a trade Lane just emit a push field against moving asteroids? I thought it was a collision engine limitation...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
DWMagus wrote:

wait wait wait, the Rings move?! Omg :clap:

As to dangers of collision from moving asteroids, couldn't a trade Lane just emit a push field against moving asteroids? I thought it was a collision engine limitation...
Not sure. In Duke Nukem 3D, to avoid things like collision engine limitation, when they did large swaths of movement, they would basically create a new frame of reference. This way they only had to deal with collisions on the edges.

Depending on how Josh is doing it, this may or may not work since he would have something cutting through the rotational disc.

Online Now