Return to “Announcements”

Development Logs

As of today, I'm starting to publish development logs to be as transparent and informative as possible. I want to constantly ensure you guys that progress on LT is being made on a daily basis, and that I was completely serious when I said I was going to dedicate myself completely to the project! The logs will contain a daily summary of what I worked on, as well as a per-hour breakdown of my time allocation.

You can read more about the purpose/method behind these logs here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=309, and you can view them in the "Dev Logs" subforum.

Hope it helps you all to feel even more connected to this project! :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Re: Development Logs

Josh its excellent transparency effort with this project ... many surprises me as I believe in your dream for that reason we support your proposal on Kickstarter besides this project after many great things that will come to you ... remember that not only you're in this dream and I each gave our contribution to a greater or lesser degree want to see this dream come true...sincerely Walter De Jesus Sanchez Vasquez (Medellin - Colombia) I BACKED LIMITH THEORY :lol:

Awesome : ) Now we can all spy on you and heavy breath over your shoulder :p

But honestly it will be awesome to watch your progress and know that you are still crunching away at code. Also thanks for the link to that program, know i have a great tool to use for tracking projects!

I was actually about to suggest something like this. I like the idea of holding yourself accountable, especially when you're an indie developer and you're trying to make sure you're giving your fans/backers what they deserve. It's that sort of thing that separates the hobbyists from those that are more serious. Although, I definitely wouldn't hold you accountable for 11 hours a day... But I don't blame you if you end up doing more. I've had many a sleepless nights coding myself because I get so wrapped up in something or making something especially cool.

I would also recommend that you either write some white papers or a larger entry for when you do make something really cool (tricks with infinite texture resolution as your Dec 23rd log shows) so that you become a resource for others, a resource for your portfolio, and last but not least, a method for driving more traffic your way. :D

Great either way!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Josh, this is very nice way to keeps us updated BUT !! please, please, please remember ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JOSH A DULL BOY :cry: . You need to ensure you get the correct life/work balance. It's no good working your ass of and then burning out, so don't forget to have breaks and family time.

Best wishes - Ozzie

Ozzieorl wrote:Josh, this is very nice way to keeps us updated BUT !! please, please, please remember ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JOSH A DULL BOY :cry: . You need to ensure you get the correct life/work balance. It's no good working your ass of and then burning out, so don't forget to have breaks and family time.
Yeah, I agree. The dev logs are great, but you do need to be careful not overworking yourself. Of course everyone's different, and some people can handle more than others, but remember that you'll be working on this project for over a year, and you don't want to burn out halfway through. I work as a freelancer myself, and I take care not to log more than 8-9 hours a day and keep weekends and holidays off whenever possible – and internet stuff and testing counts as work, too.

Good on ya Josh,

I say this as someone who is pretty much neurotically awaiting some compiled code to plonk itself onto my machine.... good on ya for making the commitment and the blogs, very nice touch, but make sure that there is some 'Josh time' in them hours you are putting in matey. Work/life balance is a big thing. ;)

Any real programmer knows it's not an issue until he is spending 16+ hours a day coding. Until then, it's not even considered hobbyist. :lol: :lol:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now