Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Combat Drones & Why I Oppose them for Limit Theory

outlander4 wrote:Aye, so here's the key difference. Well, each one is entitled to his own thoughts, I guess. Me thinks I should go to bed. Need to make another presentation about yet another way to mess up our planet tomorrow...

The last thing - I had a random thought: H-technology is so good at explaining everything because it's just a generic 'dedicate processing time to make stuff happen' thing.

For example, you don't need a diaphragm, a ribcage and a set of muscles to breathe; with H-breather you cat just put air in there if you have enough CPU processing time. If not, well, bad luck!

So of course H-thingie makes perfect sense in explaining pretty much everything; you don't even need to say it because it's a given. It's the nature of things.
Pretty much.

Can we keep the H-stuff debate in it's topic? Unless I am mistaken it has not been confirmed for LT as of yet. This topic should be about debate on if combat drones (As in designed for combat not just a mining drone told to fly into a capital ship for the lulz.) should be absent from LT.

I have made my views on the topic known. I personally hope they are not included in LT. And I sure as heck do not want them to have "Magic Physics/AI" as an excuse to have them.

AbhChallenger wrote:Can we keep the H-stuff debate in it's topic? Unless I am mistaken it has not been confirmed for LT as of yet. This topic should be about debate on if combat drones (As in designed for combat not just a mining drone told to fly into a capital ship for the lulz.) should be absent from LT.

I have made my views on the topic known. I personally hope they are not included in LT. And I sure as heck do not want them to have "Magic Physics/AI" as an excuse to have them.
I believe the Heisenberg stuff is just a potential in-lore explanation for the game mechanics that will be in place anyway. It doesn't matter much if its "confirmed" since it's not something that's really implemented exactly.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

AbhChallenger wrote:And I sure as heck do not want them to have "Magic Physics/AI" as an excuse to have them.
I think you're missing something important...

The game isn't being made to make the lore make sense. The lore is being put in to excuse and mask the limitations of the game. In this case, the game came before the lore, not the lore before the game.

Because of that, why does it matter what lore or explanations are in place to mask the limits of the game's functionality?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I'd really want combat drones in the game, because they're going to add the amount epicness in any battle they're in, because of the numbers. No matter if my computer gets killed because of that. It would get killed way faster, if there was the same amount of actual, awesome AI NPCs.

Also, cloud computing sounds a great limiting factor. A reason to hack the communications and it doesn't remove the possibility that you have an army of 50 drones. I atleast originally thought, that drones are not able to function independently, and this pretty much covers it.

TL;DR: Yes for combat drones and bandwidth.

Also, H-fields are awesome. :thumbup:
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

That's it; we have this argument because we mean different things when we talk about drones.

I and the author of the thread (I believe) think that drones are basically programmable units able to operate on their own; as such, they are equal to ships in terms of physics, collisions and so on. The main concern is about NPCs spamming thousands of combat drones and bringing PC to its knees.

For ThymineC & Co, drones are just weapons de-attached from the ship and flying around.

Of course, the second version limits them nicely, but I don't want to have it in the first place because it's ridiculous; EVE does it because EVE is not a simulator of any sort. It's not about dogfighting. Not that dogfighting in space makes any sense, but hey - it's a game!
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

outlander4 wrote:That's it; we have this argument because we mean different things when we talk about drones.

I and the author of the thread (I believe) think that drones are basically programmable units able to operate on their own; as such, they are equal to ships in terms of physics, collisions and so on. The main concern is about NPCs spamming thousands of combat drones and bringing PC to its knees.

For ThymineC & Co, drones are just weapons de-attached from the ship and flying around.

Of course, the second version limits them nicely, but I don't want to have it in the first place because it's ridiculous; EVE does it because EVE is not a simulator of any sort. It's not about dogfighting. Not that dogfighting in space makes any sense, but hey - it's a game!
Do you want to know, why there's dogfighting in space? So that fighting wouldn't devolve into shooting instakill missiles into eachother from a million kilometers away.

And for the primary thing: Game-y mechanics or total CPU kill? Pick one.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

outlander4 wrote:That's it; we have this argument because we mean different things when we talk about drones.

[...]

Well, not just weapons but yeah, you get the gist.
Neandertal wrote:
DWMagus wrote:
AbhChallenger wrote: Because of that, why does it matter what lore or explanations are in place to mask the limits of the game's functionality?
Because ThymineC is using his lore to explain why what he wants should be instead of the other way around.
Actually, I'm primarily proposing a gameplay mechanic (combat drones exist and are limited by bandwidth) and then justifying that using lore (H-tech). You can see that I've been defending the idea of bandwidth in this thread even when H-tech is taken out of the equation.
Behemoth wrote:Also, cloud computing sounds a great limiting factor. A reason to hack the communications and it doesn't remove the possibility that you have an army of 50 drones. I atleast originally thought, that drones are not able to function independently, and this pretty much covers it.
Another thing I've just thought of: you're flying a fighter, swift and nimble, and you're going up against a large and slow drone carrier. The drone carrier releases 50 drones into the battlefield and they all start swarming towards you.

These drones rival your own agility, and while each of them aren't individually very powerful, collectively they form an intimidating threat. But you're an ace pilot and you're weaving in and around them. Even so, they're landing hits on you; shields are down to 40%. But you keep flying, getting closer and closer to the carrier. 20%. 10%. Shields are down, but you only have the last two kilometers to clear. Laser fire and bullets are spraying around you, but then you're up against this titan and he hasn't got anything to hit you with himself. You flirt around the boundaries of his shields as your systems analyse his shield frequencies. Your computer cracks the pattern, adapts your shields and you dive beneath it. You perform a quick scan of his system and your HUD brings up an overlay of all his key exposed systems. And that's where you see it - his comms array, just off of port bow. You swoop down and fly your craft just above the body of the carrier, loose a few volleys of missiles at the array and pull back up away from the ensuing explosion just in time to watch all the drones get rendered inactive.
Last edited by ThymineC on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThymineC wrote:Another thing I've just thought of: you're flying a fighter, swift and nimble, and you're going up against a large and slow drone carrier. The drone carrier releases 50 drones into the battlefield and they all start swarming towards you.

These drones rival your own agility, and while each of them aren't individually very powerful, collectively they form an intimidating threat. But you're an ace pilot and you're weaving in and around them. Even so, they're landing hits on you; shields are down to 40%. But you keep flying, getting closer and closer to the carrier. 20%. 10%. Shields are down, but you only have the last two kilometers to clear. Laser fire and bullets are spraying around you, but then you're up against this titan and he hasn't got anything to hit you with himself. You flirt around the boundaries of his shields as your systems analyse his shield frequencies. Your computer cracks the pattern, adapts your shields and you dive beneath it. You perform a quick scan of his system and your HUD brings up an overlay of all his key exposed systems. And that's where you see it - his comms array, just off of port bow. You swoop down and fly your craft just above the body of the carrier, loose a few volleys of missiles at the array and pull back up away from the explosion just in time to watch all the drones get rendered inactive.
So why can he have only drones?

Neandertal wrote:So why can he have only drones?
There's nothing to say ships with drone carrier roles can't have other weapons. In this case, maybe this was all part of fleet combat and the drone carrier was highly specailised and had been relying on direct damage coming in from his allies. Maybe the pilot was strapped for cash after buying all those drones and didn't have enough left to spend on guns and lasers of his own. Maybe he'd installed drone support modules in all of his available hardpoints. Maybe he was just a bit silly.

Online Now