Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

The truth is he probably thought he could make a game and fast realised he didn't have the skills to complete it. He collected a large amount of money and produced nothing.
If a real life bricks and mortar business were to do that, there would be lots of questions, lots of investigation and at least a full explanation from the guy where the money went, what it was spent on etc.

Goodbye folks. ;)

Triopalite wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:50 am
The truth is he probably thought he could make a game and fast realised he didn't have the skills to complete it. He collected a large amount of money and produced nothing.
If a real life bricks and mortar business were to do that, there would be lots of questions, lots of investigation and at least a full explanation from the guy where the money went, what it was spent on etc.

Goodbye folks. ;)
Just wanted to point out that a brick and mortar could easily pull off this same gig and get away with it. The difference is that the type of people who invest in brick and mortar stores aren't idiots and actually play an active role in their investment's development. They give money for shares in the product, not because they hope the product will eventually get built and consider the developer to be smarter than they are so are blindly throwing money at someone who makes outstanding claims.

Kickstarter is really the worst thing to ever happen, because the types of people who kickstart something don't understand the first thing about investment, and when their investment goes wrong they start screaming about how illegal it all is and how rather than the investor being a complete idiot for blindly giving money to an open hand. In the real world, initial estimates are rarely correct and investors know this... in the kickstarter world if your initial estimate is "more realistic" then you're just trying to steal money, better to set the bar too low and try making due with too little.

Even more so, a good investor has contacts, so if your investment is struggling, the investor would say "these guys are familiar with this industry and could help you out here." A kickstart investor just throws money at a problem (money that isn't even backed by contract, that is.)

Kickstarter investors are always whining about something, yet they choose a platform which specifically puts all the power in the dev's hands, not their own... and often complain about things that happen in real world investing.

I mean, there is nothing illegal about standing on a corner requesting people give you money so you can build a stairway to heaven, not even making promises that you can complete it in a few years. So long as a reasonable effort is made to actually build a stairway, and the funds were used to finance said stairway's construction (which includes paying for yourself, and you can set your own wage).

Consider, Jimbo Wales sets his own wage... every time he spews about how Wikipedia needs donations to survive, he and his staff are taking a good part of that cut. There are some legal limitations (the non-profit status has some too I believe) but you literally are paying his salary when you donate to Wikipedia, how much of it actually goes to server upkeep isn't disclosed, but it doesn't need to be... people still donate regardless of knowing where their investment is going.

zircher wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 am
Another way to look at it is the value that I have gotten out of the community. Sure, the money is gone, but I have reaped benefits in other ways. I consider it worth the shot. [Gets back to learning more about Godot...]

It's a double edged sword for me.

I am overall a pretty private person, and probably opened up to a few people here more than I normally do.

Problem is the community quickly clasped after Josh officially ended it all. It reminds me of the same feeling when you pass certain points in our life's journeys. Examples include finishing high school or moving out of your parents home for the first time. The life before you still exists, and you can hang on to some of it with effort, but the effort needed increases more and more over time, until you get to a point where you let most of it go.

Me coming back to this message board every few months is my current effort. Though everytime I return, there is less and less new posts here. At some point the forum will be gone, I can put effort into keeping in contact via other means, but will know at some point this will need to become a distant memory. Like letting go of old high school friends, or accepting your independence from your parents and forging your new life, hopefully with a soul mate.

My life had changed a ton since I first joined here. My youngest was a small child and now is in high school. I had a parent pass, and my job moved to a new building. I became a grandfather last year, and feel it. I am old now, and that's ok.

Anyways, enough introspective for now.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:58 pm
It's a double edged sword for me.

….

Problem is the community quickly clasped after Josh officially ended it all. It reminds me of the same feeling when you pass certain points in our life's journeys. Examples include finishing high school or moving out of your parents home for the first time. The life before you still exists, and you can hang on to some of it with effort, but the effort needed increases more and more over time, until you get to a point where you let most of it go.
Nicely formulated. I fully share the sentiment, a page turning, after years of daily interactions fading away. Excellent analogy with leaving school.
Ends are of course always with some sadness, but all things must end, and the alternative of not having good experiences to avoid the sadness of the end is not really attractive:-).

Just wondering why - as in this case, the forum dynamic was high even in face of no progress of the official topic LT - the end of the project so quickly killed the community in the forum (possibly it is still going on on other platforms). But anyway, just richer for the experience, no regrets!

It's interesting that I still drift through here from time to time. Not really sure why, hope or just to see if people are still around? It was a great community but with nothing left to wait for or discuss it was always going to fizzle out. Maybe if the source code had been released there would have been more chatter, maybe not. Anyway, just passing through so hi to anyone who still reads stuff on here!

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:23 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:15 am
The part of the community that frequented IRC didn't die, we just moved to discord. We play DnD and REKT there and talk about all kinds of stuff really.
I might stomp by. Got a linkee? :twisted:
here ya go
Last edited by Dinosawer on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now