Return to “Games”

Re: The Official Sales/Free Games Thread

Silverware wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 pm
CSE wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:46 pm
Elite? I was already getting ready to grab, wanted to try how it compares to my C64 version, but...
bummer, PC only :-(

And btw, :wave: hi Talv, hope you are doing good!
Grab it anyway :3
That about sums up what I do with ever free game.

Looks boring? Grab it anyway
Already have it? Grab it anyway
Never going to play it? Grab it anyway
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Nope, no Kickstarter or anything else. That's a lonnngggg way off. I've only briefly tested it for tabletop so far, so the current plan is thus:

1. Compile all the wiki stuff into a ultra-rough-draft corebook, eliminate the outdated stuff (there's a lot), and add all the stuff that's missing (there's a lot) (This is the current stage - I'm presently sitting on roughly 150k words, and it's a bit of a mess)
2. Hammer on it for a while until I feel like I'm about ready to show it to people for testing purposes
3. Send it to an editor that will scream at me for my poor choices and bad decisions
4. Fix the poor choices and bad decisions
5. Distribute half-finished corebook to a handful of players, old and new, so they can give their impressions AND so we can playtest and decide what needs altered for balance
6. Fix what needs altered for balance (even if it means ripping some systems out)
7. Continue playtesting
8. When the system is playtested/polished sufficiently, POSSIBLY KICKSTARTER!
9. Artwork, corebook design, visual polish, last
10. Publish and distribute
11. ???
12. Happy dance

Coming: when it's ready
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

That sounds super exciting! As being one of the original players in REKT I honestly look forward to whatever adventures can be had in the REKT table top RPG. Thank you for creating this REKT universe Tal, and letting us participate in it. I spent many nights thinking of ways to overcome the problems presented to me from these stories, and I enjoyed them immensely.

Did any of you ever discover what happened to the original crew?

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:50 pm
5. Distribute half-finished corebook to a handful of players, old and new, so they can give their impressions AND so we can playtest and decide what needs altered for balance
6. Fix what needs altered for balance (even if it means ripping some systems out)
Just a thought, don't be a slave to balance. A perfectly balanced game can suck the fun out of character diversity. I've seen a few games that were full on meh due to that.
--
TAZ

zircher wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 am
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:50 pm
Just a thought, don't be a slave to balance. A perfectly balanced game can suck the fun out of character diversity. I've seen a few games that were full on meh due to that.
--
TAZ

In general, balancing the utility of options is a nice high-level game design metric for maximizing the number of "interesting choices."

But that said, "don't be a slave to balance" is also good advice. Everything perfectly balanced risks turning into mush, where no choice matters because every option has been made as good as another.

This is where I like Warren Spector's point that he doesn't think "choice" in itself is interesting -- what matter are the consequences of choices. So a better rubric for engaging game design than maximizing or balancing player choice is actually "consequentiality": making choices matter.

Which is where unbalance comes into play. Giving a character low Intelligence in the first two Fallout games, for example, made some things considerably harder, or even impossible, but it made a 100% perceptible difference in how one experienced the full game. Finding a Jedi holocron in Star Wars Galaxies led to building characters who could (and did) murder literally every single NPC in an Imperial-aligned town. Underpowered, overpowered -- other concerns aside, you can't say these weren't consequential choices.

In general, I suspect the best design is to have most of the game-mechanical options generally in balance, but with some carefully handcrafted oddball choices that are both consequential and (in most cases) well-signposted. "You can totally go with an Endurance of 1, but this character is likely to be killed by harsh language. Are you sure this is what you want?"

Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 pm
In general, I suspect the best design is to have most of the game-mechanical options generally in balance, but with some carefully handcrafted oddball choices that are both consequential and (in most cases) well-signposted. "You can totally go with an Endurance of 1, but this character is likely to be killed by harsh language. Are you sure this is what you want?"
I agree. For example for Issss'hh it was really a defining moment when he decided to switch to Lanthanium anions. His morphology did not allow it.

PS: Talv rule book should not be in a free games thread - we are willing to buy it ;)

Online Now