Return to “Games”

Re: Drifter

DWMagus wrote:Ooooo... Looks fun!
I like the fact that you do not need a powerful computer to run it and once you master the UI it reminds you of certain other games of this genre.

I also like the way the developer thinks with his "What's your favorite thing about space? Mine is space." :D

It's still a WIP but at least the developer admits it. I admire honesty*. :angel:

* I'm looking at you Egosoft. :x

Necro posting because of a recent backer only post from Drifter: A Space Trading Game. What the developer is suffering is similar to Josh's journey and just a little creepy in the parallels. I'll call it a cautionary tale of underestimating human fragility and too much ambition. I'll take that as a strong message to make hard limits in scope for my future game projects. Design, deliver, and then expand.

zircher wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Necro posting because of a recent backer only post from Drifter: A Space Trading Game. What the developer is suffering is similar to Josh's journey and just a little creepy in the parallels. I'll call it a cautionary tale of underestimating human fragility and too much ambition. I'll take that as a strong message to make hard limits in scope for my future game projects. Design, deliver, and then expand.

And, as much as it pains me to say it, maybe this should be SOP for solo indie projects: no matter how tempted you may be, don't announce anything -- no specific blog posts or tweets, no forums, nothing -- until you've implemented a working skeleton that proves out all your key features operating together, leaving only the long slog of content implementation to be accomplished.

Admittedly somewhat trickier for a game intended to have significant procedural content generation, but still.

And I'm not just thinking of Josh here, unfortunately.

Online Now