Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #6: June 2013

Great video, once again.
I appreciate that you're taking the time to make these videos, even though you're working so hard.

Just... one... tiny piece of criticsm...

I, personally, feel like capital ships need to be MUCH, MUCH larger than the one you piloted in the video.
If that is "close" to how big a ship can get, that's not big enough in my humble opinion. Not even close to big enough.

Also, I suspect that while the texture has been improved by an incredible amount, the texture itself is still a placeholder?
Looks a bit too "Borg-Cube" to me, if you catch my drift. :P

Other than that, I'm downright amazed by how much progress you're making.
The idea of capital ships producing their own ammunition or even fighters is great!
Last edited by Elric von Rabenfels on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- What can change the nature of a man?

Elric von Rabenfels wrote:Great video, once again.
I appreciate that you're taking the time to make these videos, even though you're working so hard.

Just... one... tiny piece of criticsm...

I, personally, feel like capital ships need to be MUCH, MUCH larger than the one you piloted in the video.
If that is "close" to how big a ship can get, that's not big enough in my humble opinion. Not even close to big enough.

Also, I suspect that while the texture has been improved by an incredible amount, the texture itself is still a placeholder?
Looks a bit too "Borg-Cube" to me, if you catch my drift. :P

Other than that, I'm downright amazed by how much progress you're making.
The idea of capital ships producing their own ammunition or even fighters is great!
Well, I know, I mean, we all want caps to be absolutely massive. Of course there are technical problems with this. I am trying my best to mitigate them, but, realistically, I think 2 orders of magnitude is about all I can manage (meaning 100x difference between large and small). I will continue to try to push this where possible, but it's really more of a technical limitation than a personal taste thing. I would love to have a battleship be 1000x the size of a fighter (or more!)

I wouldn't really say that textures are placeholder anymore. They may not be final, but I wouldn't be upset if that ended up in-game. Some factional styles will look different than others, so you will see some sleeker / non-borg-ish designs as well.

Can't wait to manufacture my own fighters :twisted:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Ah, that puts my mind at ease!

Glad you want HUGE capital ships just as much as we do, I hope you will find ways to make 'em bigger without any technical difficulties during the development!

Well, maybe it's just that we've been looking at these very boxy designs (in both mesh and texture) for too long, would just love to see some other design. If it's just one "race" though, it makes sense. Was just worrying that the whole universe would end up with boxy Borg lookalikes. :lol:
The quality of the texture seems heavily improved though, so good job! Diversity will come with later builds I suppose.

No offence intended at all, just my feelings. You're doing an absolutely amazing job so far.
I'm just good at hitting people with metal objects while wearing my suit if plate armour and, oddly enough, webdesign.

Could never achieve making a game like you do, so, well done so far!

Cheers,
Elric
- What can change the nature of a man?
June 2013 Update

Amazing is all I can really say, the textures look so much better. The missiles are what I have really been waiting for I think it completes the whole capital ship just launching a barrage of death. Bigger than the missiles though is the crafting which is a huge accomplishment and I can't wait to see what it will look like when finished. The UI looks better as well, and the port to Linux is giant leap in the right direction. Enjoy your day off Josh have fun in Morrowind!
The only limit is the one you set.

Hi Josh,

OK - feedback :)

The Graphics are hugely improved and the plating effect is *astonishing* and spot on. Thrusters seem improved?
UI is better and cleaner, improved.
The blueprint and crafting system is a great addition :) looks like its coming along nicely :)
Love the missile streaks - how about inbuilt silos on a ships surface?

Anyway - loved the update, no constructive criticism this month really :/

Watching the dev logs and the game's progress with real interest! have a good one.

PS I noticed the ships dont play ride of the valkyries yet :( boooo
fraggdya's list of unreasonable demands!
1. I would like a tannoy in my ship that plays 'Ride of the Valkyries' on repeat.
2. A replica of the Icarus II ship
3. A shrubbery

Well, this was nothing short of astounding.

I actually like the new textures; while the structure still is a tad bit too blocky for my taste, the textures do look crisp and convey a proper sense of scale. That thing looked like a proper battleship.

The construction thing had my mind reeling with the possibilities. A ship with a fabber, capable of manufacturing ammo and spare parts from locally available resources. Amazing. I do have a couple of questions, though.
- Does shunting more energy into the fabrication unit reduce cycle time?
- Is there a limitation on what can be produced onboard? I'd assume that the size of the cargo bay would put a hard limit on ship construction (i.E., you can't build large stuff due to not being able to stockpile enough raw materials), but other than that, do you plan to have distinct classes/tiers of items? (i.E., requiring separate and distinctive modules for ships, items and trading goods?)

The interface looks crisp and clean. I actually look forward to coming to grips with it.

Keep up the good work.

Oh, and while we're at it...could you give a rough estimate on the completion percentage of the game? While I do read the devlogs, it's rather hard to judge the progress on the different elements of the game.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Actually Josh, I like the way that capital ship looked. It looked mean as hell! And the lighting effects are amazing. I liked the way the asteroids cast shadows through the dust cloud. :clap: Keep up the good work. :thumbup:
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

I am amazed.

It looks gorgeous. But I think I'm going to have to echo Sky's sentiment. I'm saving my comments for the podcast. It will truly be a great one!

Josh, you should feel proud.

Actually, I do have ONE small criticism... The engines on the ship look like they're just attached so they look so out of place that it's comical. I know that's not the final placement, but I couldn't help but laugh at that.

:thumbup:

[Edit: Merged topics]
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now