Return to “Kickstarter Campaign”

Re: Post-End Kickstarter Discussion

Flatfingers wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:56 pm
I myself incline toward the "there is only one 'race,' and that's the human race" perspective.

The notion of race is too close to the idea of being human. Once you extend "race" to mean anything other than "human," it becomes easy to start othering minority groups as sub- or non-human. And we know exactly where that leads.

The concepts of "nation" and "culture" and "civilization" work just fine for dividing people along worldview-preference lines, I think.

...aaaaaand now I'm trying and failing to find some way to link "English = polite" to the fact that the city with the most Kickstarter backers for Limit Theory was London, and I'm coming up empty. Somebody help me out here!
When you look at the fact that there are sub groups of genetic traits...
Then it's SOME level of division at the least, below homo sapiens sapiens.

Culture is a fine enough term for it, that's what Crusader Kings 2 uses, and I'm happy to continue with that term. :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);
Re: Post-End Kickstarter Discussion

This talk of reimbursement is a bit silly. I mean!beyond the fact that Josh did his best and certainly no fraud.

Not being a lawyer, I guess worst case, Josh could release the prototype with a new title and be done with any obligation. There is an obligation to distribute a game, not a good game...

My 2 cents...
Re: The End

Dwamies wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:29 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:53 pm
jd101 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:25 pm
I really don't understand why americans (at least on the internet) always assume the worst about everyone and just jump to attacking, I think you'd all be a lot less angry at everything if you just assumed other people were good people.
This is the first time I've seen someone actively racist towards Americans. Congratulations!
American isn't a race FYI.
*Sigh*

Yes, Americans are a race of people.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/race

"You can't be racist towards x because they're not a race" is the dumbest justification for being racist, and my whole family is racist but thinks they're not so I've heard some terrible justifications.
Flatfingers wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:56 pm
I myself incline toward the "there is only one 'race,' and that's the human race" perspective.

The notion of race is too close to the idea of being human. Once you extend "race" to mean anything other than "human," it becomes easy to start othering minority groups as sub- or non-human. And we know exactly where that leads.

The concepts of "nation" and "culture" and "civilization" work just fine for dividing people along worldview-preference lines, I think.

...aaaaaand now I'm trying and failing to find some way to link "English = polite" to the fact that the city with the most Kickstarter backers for Limit Theory was London, and I'm coming up empty. Somebody help me out here!
Division of humanity by similarities, particularly those of culture (Which genetic race often encompasses) is incredibly useful not just in science but also in day to day life and conversation.
Division does not mean separating the value of human life based on those divisions.

Asians are a different race to me, their culture is for the most part significantly different to mine but similar to each others. Especially when interacting with older Asian people, this gives me potential insight into expectations and possible beliefs.
Hell, even age is a good division. I don't tend to talk to older people about my beliefs on sexuality because they *tend* to have a strong conservative view to my strong liberal view and it just ends up being butting heads.
In the end, the divisions don't make me think either Asians or older people are inferior to me. Though I do believe their conservative sexual views are inferior. :V
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 am
I don't tend to talk to older people about my beliefs on sexuality because they *tend* to have a strong conservative view to my strong liberal view and it just ends up being butting heads.
Can we also have an 'ick' division...? 'cos talking to some people about anything related to sex is just ewwwww :-p
--
Mind The Gap

Ringu wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 am
Black--Snow wrote:
I don't tend to talk to older people about my beliefs on sexuality because they *tend* to have a strong conservative view to my strong liberal view and it just ends up being butting heads.
Can we also have an 'ick' division...? 'cos talking to some people about anything related to sex is just ewwwww :-p
Like your mother? I spoke to her about it last night. :V (Obligatory, I sort of apologise but also once again, obligatory)
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Ringu wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please don't join the IRC.

...and if you do, I'm sorry in advance.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:24 am
Please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please don't join the IRC.
I don't normally say this, but: LOL.
Have no fear, I only said that in the first place because it made me laugh; it's completely untrue in my case and I'm exceptionally tolerant and liberal in my attitudes!

Plus, I own many weapons and know how to use them :-)
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now