Return to “Technical”

64-bit game version

The biggest questions I have always had for programs or games like this is, what would 64 bit bring to the table in building the game in 64 bit? would it help the program have more access to ram? would this increase performance for the game by allowing potentially several stations and planets and several 1000 ships ( with good optimization tens of thousands) and asteroids (tens of thousands) in one system? would it be possible to have this many entities in one system without strong impacting performance?
Re: 64-bit game version

64 bit allows you to:

A) have more than 4GB of ram in use
B) calculate 64bit numbers a little bit faster

It's not a magic bullet, as most games (not Dwarf Fortress) use less than 4GB of ram.
And most numbers in games tend to be smaller. (although it does depend on how it was compiled)

The main gain is for Mods, because mods tend to be excessive, as modders often forgo any cares about performance.
This is the reason why 64bit Kerbal Space Program was so important.

For Limit Theory, the extra RAM shouldn't be a huge deal, but with mods it might well be.

And as for Performance, Josh did a test earlier with 10k asteroids if I recall the numbers correctly.
There were no issues.
The real killers of performance are Path-finding, and Artificial Intelligence.
So while even a million asteroids doing their physics and movement code, won't really be an issue.
A thousand ships each picking targets, and attempting to fly around and dodge, that's MUCH more intensive.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm
So while even a million asteroids doing their physics and movement code, won't really be an issue.
A thousand ships each picking targets, and attempting to fly around and dodge, that's MUCH more intensive.
Indeed, which is why I was surprised and impressed by Josh's 2000 fighters at 60 fps. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:10 pm
Silverware wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm
Indeed, which is why I was surprised and impressed by Josh's 2000 fighters at 60 fps. :D
I'm not, those aren't overly excessive on the AI demands. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Silverware wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm
I'm not, those aren't overly excessive on the AI demands. :ghost:
so you say 2000 ships pathfinding around each other are no strain? :ghost:
Na, I expect their pathfinding here is VERY minimal.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

I should let you guys know that i expect the game to be able to have 2000 frigates, 2000 destroyers, 4000 fighters, 500 cruisers, 100 battleships, and 20 dreadnoughts, AT LEAST, in one system. (those are MY expectations which may be impossible to meet but I'm highly optimistic about performance in this game)

Online Now