Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Preventing the big blob

BFett wrote:Do you really want to start a game of LT off with arbitrary values and no universe history? Isn't that just like any other game you can play?
No I personally wouldn't, but I am not the exclusive player of LT. I thought the whole point was to have options? It would be interesting to start roughly on the same footing as the other AI in the system, which is kind of the point in a nutshell. Just because where you happen to be starting as the player may be new and unspoiled doesn't mean that there is no history that exists elsewhere in the universe. It could be the Freelancer setting in that you've shot off to a far away system... many tens of systems away from your "home" where civilization still exists and rages on and you're just settling way out in the boonies. One day perhaps you shall return? Perhaps not. Or perhaps the crazy expansionist psychopaths of the home you fled will catch up to you with an armada wanting to take your new paradise. But you won't let them because you will have had time to build up a nice lil empire. Going against the odds their mighty fleet vs whatever you've managed to make in the time it took them to get to you.

See? Nothing about what I suggested implies that the entire game universe would be devoid of history or flavor.

Sure you could always make up your own history, but my point is that at universe generation (iteration 1) systems, planets, colonies, stations, and NPCs are all placed at arbitrary locations. The universe has no official history because no time has been allowed to elapse. So everything the player comes in contact with will have been there directly because of the seed the player entered.

Could it still be fun to play in? Sure. Will there be trade between systems or a 'stable' economy? Probably not.

*Stable: The average economy which develops in zones without hostility.

BFett wrote:Sure you could always make up your own history, but my point is that at universe generation (iteration 1) systems, planets, colonies, stations, and NPCs are all placed at arbitrary locations. The universe has no official history because no time has been allowed to elapse. So everything the player comes in contact with will have been there directly because of the seed the player entered.

Could it still be fun to play in? Sure. Will there be trade between systems or a 'stable' economy? Probably not.

I was under the belief that the universe would simulate its self for a certain amount of time. Am I wrong?
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
BFett wrote:Sure you could always make up your own history, but my point is that at universe generation (iteration 1) systems, planets, colonies, stations, and NPCs are all placed at arbitrary locations. The universe has no official history because no time has been allowed to elapse. So everything the player comes in contact with will have been there directly because of the seed the player entered.

I was under the belief that the universe would simulate its self for a certain amount of time. Am I wrong?
That is still the case. What I was explaining above is in response to TGS's post (the one above my last post) and the other posts seen here.

There's a problem with the big blob?
What is it with the modern generation, and hatred towards successful people :roll:

I'm joking, of course.
Here's how you should prevent a big blob - with your own blood, sweat and tears!
Lurker Mode: DEACTIVATED
The most intriguing fact about imagination is that its all in your head.

Black--Snow wrote:

I think the amount of time it simulates for is on a sliding scale starting at zero.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Online Now