Return to “Suggestions”

Planet surface colony interaction idea

What if after you "dock" to a colony, you are circling (on rails) above the procgenned colony in a holding pattern of sorts (perhaps held in place in the sky with a ground-based tractor beam?) alongside other actual npcs and watching them ascend and descend to do their thing, and then when you want to interact with a particular building or port (industry/diplomacy/trading etc) you then descend into that specific building's landing pad, and after your business with the particular planet interaction you are thrown back into the aerial holding pattern?
ie. after your descent into the planet you specify your actions eg. buy/sell etc while in the holding pattern, and only land to perform the planetary interactions that require landing (eg. actually transferring the cargo) with a "land" button, after which you are ejected back into the holding pattern
I am suggesting this because it doesn't seem to be too much work, and I feel it will differentiate planetary interactions from the boring static backgrounds of freelancer and eve, and it also solves the problem of parking space since you're parked in the sky in a way that I think makes sense. Also, it means that real time will continue to progress in a very tangible way unless the game is paused (there will be/is a pause button right?)
(I'm up to dev update 19 at this point so I apologize if something has changed since then)
Last edited by Yan D on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Planet surface idea

Hi Yan D, welcome!
I like the imagery you're summoning! At the moment I think the plan is to do it freelancer style. You dock and on the next screen you're landed. But I wouldn't mind your method being added, at all. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: Planet surface colony interaction idea

Welcome to the forums Yan D! :wave:

That being said, i'm actually kinda for something like this. Gives a nice aerial view in the background while you do your thing for transporting goods. No need to actually dock if it's just commodities, but a neat way to expedite the trading with a stationary object. It could even be re-used for larger things that don't allow for docking as well. :thumbup:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now