Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Sensor knowledge and suggestions

Flatfingers wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 pm
i still love how Scanner Sombre works/looks. but i have no idea how to make it into a proper sensor mechanic thats usable by AI as well :ghost:

What would you say are the main impediments?
Well, first up its a highly visual form of analysis, so we cant have the AI play with the same rules of usage as the player.
Because its very computationally intensive to do so.
And humans have a fair chunk of computronium dedicated to that :ghost:

Secondly i dont know what to use it for at all.
Especially without just plainly removing from the main visuals of LT.
Sure, analysing surfaces is fun, but i'd like to be able to see what ships around me look like without having to do explicit manual surface scans :ghost:

While writing this i had one idea for what it could be useful: uncovering of explicitly concealed [things]
Breaking of holographic/technobabble obscuring effects.
Say concealed hardpoints could simply not show up on a ship's model until a pointwise-surface-scanner discovers the discepance between the actual surface position and the apparent surface.
Because it doesnt get fooled / gets fooled harder by obscuring methods and projects the points on the actual surface of the hidden components and not the illusory surface.
And thus show a bump in their dot patterns at locations at which should be nothing.
Or a dip at locations wheres no actual structure (eg because its a frigate posing as freighter with some holo decoy)

With some factor of the PSS still being fooled based on the relative capabilities of the PSS and the cloak.
(And some error rate for the scanner that its still ambigous if theres a few out of place dots :ghost: )
Re: Sensor knowledge and suggestions

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 am
While writing this i had one idea for what [Scanner Sombre-like sensors] could be useful: uncovering of explicitly concealed [things]
Breaking of holographic/technobabble obscuring effects.
Say concealed hardpoints could simply not show up on a ship's model until a pointwise-surface-scanner discovers the discepance between the actual surface position and the apparent surface.
Because it doesnt get fooled / gets fooled harder by obscuring methods and projects the points on the actual surface of the hidden components and not the illusory surface.
And thus show a bump in their dot patterns at locations at which should be nothing.
Or a dip at locations wheres no actual structure (eg because its a frigate posing as freighter with some holo decoy)

That is an outstanding idea and I support it without reservation.

Online Now