Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Boarding and Salvage Operations.

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Hadrianus wrote:
N810 wrote:Perhaps have some different orders for borading parties:
1) take the ship intact (need lots of troops)
2) Sabotage the ship (damages random or specific system)
3) loot the ship (steal anything that isn't nailed down)
Don’t forget salvage operations. A ship this large need not be obliterated you might just knock it out of order. The crew dies of asphyxiation due to lack of power then your boys come in and salvage the beast.
If you take the ship, you can fly it back to a shipyard and take it apart. But if you want to try and take it apart in the middle of space, be my guest.

As for

"I personally think that any power armor with suffecient technology level gets basically a spacesuit very fast.
ABC-defence systems (pressurised breathing systems) incorporated into them would differ in no point from an spacesuit breather gear.
Now just add small thrusters to the power armor and you get a military spacesuit.

Power armor and combat space suits are somewhat convergent in my opinion"

I wasn't under the impression that all marines would have power armor (like marines from StarCraft or Space Marines or all of those. I was thinking like men with body armor and assault rifles (I don't know exactly where humanity/society is in terms of firearms and personal protection. But if power armor, then forget what I said.

"And my bow. +3"

And my cheerful personality. +4 ?

I did not mean taking it apart. I meant bring it back to an operational state and using it for yourself.

Hadrianus wrote:Or you could salvage it for resources. I did not mean salvage in that way but now that you say it, it is not a half bad idea.
It's like saying "I captured this mining ship, but I already have a dozen and don't need more. I'll just take it home, take it apart, and use the parts for a couple fighters" or "I captured this mining ship, but I am waaaay far away from my shipyard so I don't feel like flying this beat up hunk of junk. I'll just do a 'field salvage' on it (which gives you 25-30% less of the resources because you are doing it without a dock and all that) and grab what I can."

You could think of there being two different types of 'salvaging.' One done in the field which gets you less of the total resources, and one done in a shipyard or station or dock that gets you 100% of the parts because you have the right facilities.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Hadrianus wrote:Or you could salvage it for resources. I did not mean salvage in that way but now that you say it, it is not a half bad idea.
It's like saying "I captured this mining ship, but I already have a dozen and don't need more. I'll just take it home, take it apart, and use the parts for a couple fighters" or "I captured this mining ship, but I am waaaay far away from my shipyard so I don't feel like flying this beat up hunk of junk. I'll just do a 'field salvage' on it (which gives you 25-30% less of the resources because you are doing it without a dock and all that) and grab what I can."

You could think of there being two different types of 'salvaging.' One done in the field which gets you less of the total resources, and one done in a shipyard or station or dock that gets you 100% of the parts because you have the right facilities.
That sounds better than what I was thinking.

That's why I like the suggestion forums so much.

You suggestion option 'A'

Another person says "Why not Option B?"

Third person says "How about Option AB 2.5?"

and it keeps adding up. Like a snowball rolling down a hill (for those that know about snow), it gradually gets bigger and absorbs other things.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:That's why I like the suggestion forums so much.

You suggestion option 'A'

Another person says "Why not Option B?"

Third person says "How about Option AB 2.5?"

and it keeps adding up. Like a snowball rolling down a hill (for those that know about snow), it gradually gets bigger and absorbs other things.
Yeah well that is all presuming that Josh would implement these ideas to begging with.
We might be getting ourselves worked up for nothing.

But the ideas for themselves sound good.
We can hope can't we

Charley_Deallus wrote:Sounds good. Just wasn't sure how marines in this would be equipped. For some weird reason, I was picturing something different...but I can't figure what show or game it is from. Maybe I had too much coffee yesterday (totally did) and I know I had more than enough today.
Was it Iron Man, or something like Darth Vader's suit?

BFett wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:Sounds good. Just wasn't sure how marines in this would be equipped. For some weird reason, I was picturing something different...but I can't figure what show or game it is from. Maybe I had too much coffee yesterday (totally did) and I know I had more than enough today.
Was it Iron Man, or something like Darth Vader's suit?
No, basically I had this view that marines boarding an enemy starship would not be wearing anything more than a simple space suit for their body (to keep them warm in a ship), weapons, helmet, goggles(optional?), body armor, and maybe equipment for hacking consoles or breaching doors. Dunno where I got that from though.

Behemoth wrote:1. Why marines?
The Marine Corps original mission was as naval infantry, and as space ships are usually associated as a naval activity, it fits to have the those who conduct military combat operations aboard ships and the defense of a ships personnel, as Marines.
Also because we are the hardest, most BA conventional force. 8-)

Back on topic, what happens when your ship is boarded? Are you killed after a time? Are you ejected from your ship? I do not know how to solve that one.

A simple boarding mechanic could be like that of Homeworld 2, you have specific ships that send smaller boarding ships to latch onto the hull and a bar shows the progress, and you get updates through audio (or in this case text as previously stated).

RedCellOps

Online Now