Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Boarding and Salvage Operations.

Sasha wrote: (Dump halon, displace oxygen, release H2S, pump out air etc.)
i close up my spacesuit, i close up my spacesuit, i close up my spacesuit and i close up my spacesuit. Why should i ever upen up my suit in the first place?

Gas-based attacks in a space envrionment against prepared attackers... better throw the gas canisters at them, has more chance of doing damage than manipulating the atmosphere they are not going to breathe nevertheless

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
i close up my spacesuit, i close up my spacesuit, i close up my spacesuit and i close up my spacesuit. Why should i ever upen up my suit in the first place?

Gas-based attacks in a space envrionment against prepared attackers... better throw the gas canisters at them, has more chance of doing damage than manipulating the atmosphere they are not going to breathe nevertheless
the attackers would in fact have an advantage in the first minute or so while the defences are scrambeling. if you breach the pressure vessel (and i assume boarding includes this) the people on the inside has 30 sek or so to get into suits before the atmosphere has vented out of the breach that is being cut.

i personally like the idea that soldiers are "just numbers" and i think we could get immersion even without voices or graphically represented combat (maps and blips moving around). why cant we just have a common hit point pool amongst similar groups and spread damage amongst them, press start and see the weaker side dwindle. IMHO troops should be counted in thousands when it comes to boarding of dreadnoughts and such. a dreadnought crew could be 2000 marines, 2000 workers, 200 logistics, 50 officers 20 bridge command and 1 captain. your breaching marines would need to kill all 2050 military crew to take the ship, but only kill the 21 bridge crew + captain to incapacitate it completely (now you need to simulate ship positions though, but i guess this could be simplified a lot).

just my 2 cents

Big "IF" dependent post follows.

IF Josh's recent posts point towards some kind of internal structure to ships and stations, even on a relatively abstract level purely represented by nodes and connections;

and IF we do get some kind of boarding mechanic;

I'd see this as a good opportunity for introducing a new group of branches for research and manufacture - equipment for NPCs to use.

Weapons, armoured spacesuits etc.

Needn't come with any models or graphics. Just stat modifiers so that you can kit your crew out to repel boarders or take over a planet.

On the civilian side, it would also be nice to think what kind of tools or other equipment could be developed to help crews do their jobs.

Perhaps... cybernetics? Dare we dream so high?

McDuff wrote:
I'd see this as a good opportunity for introducing a new group of branches for research and manufacture - equipment for NPCs to use.

Needn't come with any models or graphics. Just stat modifiers so that you can kit your crew out to repel boarders or take over a planet.

On the civilian side, it would also be nice to think what kind of tools or other equipment could be developed to help crews do their jobs.

+1

Cornflakes_91 wrote:

Wasn't sure if when the 'boarding team' gets onto the ship, they didn't have a spacesuit on. They are going to be in firefights and want to be as small of a target and maneuverable as possible. However, I do believe some kind of breathing unit or self-containing suit would be a good idea or even an upgrade. I think the only game where I saw boarding parties wearing spacesuits was X3:TC and I was under the assumption they had to use those if you didn't use boarding pods.

+1 to McDuff's post as well.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote: Wasn't sure if when the 'boarding team' gets onto the ship, they didn't have a spacesuit on. They are going to be in firefights and want to be as small of a target and maneuverable as possible. However, I do believe some kind of breathing unit or self-containing suit would be a good idea or even an upgrade. I think the only game where I saw boarding parties wearing spacesuits was X3:TC and I was under the assumption they had to use those if you didn't use boarding pods.
I personally think that any power armor with suffecient technology level gets basically a spacesuit very fast.
ABC-defence systems (pressurised breathing systems) incorporated into them would differ in no point from an spacesuit breather gear.
Now just add small thrusters to the power armor and you get a military spacesuit.

Power armor and combat space suits are somewhat convergent in my opinion

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
McDuff wrote:

+1
And my axe. +2

This reminds me of Dust 514, the FPS side to EVE Online.

Perhaps have some different orders for borading parties:
1) take the ship intact (need lots of troops)
2) Sabotage the ship (damages random or specific system)
3) loot the ship (steal anything that isn't nailed down)
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

McDuff wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
This reminds me of Dust 514, the FPS side to EVE Online.
I'm sure you weren't saying this, but just to make crystal clear, I am in no way suggesting adding an FPS to LT.
No I know, I just meant that in DUST 514, you could specify the equipment loadout for infantry and vehicles in a similar way to how you choose the loadout for ships in EVE.

N810 wrote:Perhaps have some different orders for borading parties:
Don’t forget salvage operations. A ship this large need not be obliterated you might just knock it out of order. The crew dies of asphyxiation due to lack of power then your boys come in and salvage the beast.

McDuff wrote:I'd see this as a good opportunity for introducing a new group of branches for research and manufacture - equipment for NPCs to use.

Needn't come with any models or graphics. Just stat modifiers so that you can kit your crew out to repel boarders or take over planets.
And my bow. +3

"Things that can be assigned to groups of NPCs (or robots?) to use" seems like a reasonable addition to the list of techs that can be researched and products to be constructed. They meet Josh's previous stipulation that research discovers producible objects (not concepts). And not being applicable on a per-user basis means there's no need to create or show art assets for them (no character avatars in LT 1.0).

Hadrianus wrote:
N810 wrote:Perhaps have some different orders for borading parties:
Don’t forget salvage operations. A ship this large need not be obliterated you might just knock it out of order. The crew dies of asphyxiation due to lack of power then your boys come in and salvage the beast.
If you take the ship, you can fly it back to a shipyard and take it apart. But if you want to try and take it apart in the middle of space, be my guest.

As for

"I personally think that any power armor with suffecient technology level gets basically a spacesuit very fast.
ABC-defence systems (pressurised breathing systems) incorporated into them would differ in no point from an spacesuit breather gear.
Now just add small thrusters to the power armor and you get a military spacesuit.

Power armor and combat space suits are somewhat convergent in my opinion"

I wasn't under the impression that all marines would have power armor (like marines from StarCraft or Space Marines or all of those. I was thinking like men with body armor and assault rifles (I don't know exactly where humanity/society is in terms of firearms and personal protection. But if power armor, then forget what I said.

"And my bow. +3"

And my cheerful personality. +4 ?
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote: I wasn't under the impression that all marines would have power armor (like marines from StarCraft or Space Marines or all of those. I was thinking like men with body armor and assault rifles (I don't know exactly where humanity/society is in terms of firearms and personal protection. But if power armor, then forget what I said.
Power armor does not have to be as bulky as space marine armor.
Think for example of the crysis suit, power armor with all you need and very slim profile.

(Maybe add some hardware tornister on the back in addition to the crysis suit)

Edit: some link to provide some real life reference

Sounds good. Just wasn't sure how marines in this would be equipped. For some weird reason, I was picturing something different...but I can't figure what show or game it is from. Maybe I had too much coffee yesterday (totally did) and I know I had more than enough today.

Online Now