Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Boarding and Salvage Operations.

I was not suggesting and FPS type gameplay. What I meant to say is that if you have a crew mechanic in place. Then that crew is going to be assigned to certain tasks. If you attack the ship the crew are going to focus on defending the ship from attack. But if you also board the ship at the same time the crew will have to fight on several fronts and thus either the ship gets destroyed or conquered, whatever the case.

This means that you have to time your boarding action appropriately depending on your intentions. Also you also have to have enough man power. If you send just a Rambo type boarding party chances are on a capital ship they are going to get slaughtered by numbers alone.

This is to play in a strategy type way, and it would not need internal modeling. You just need to calculate quantity of crew and their assigned task (ship defense or boarding defense), then it becomes a simple numbers game. Are there enough men defending the ship from a boarding action, if yes then the boarding fails though it might disrupt the ship’s activity. If you have enough men than you got yourself a new ship.

Two things occurred to me as I was writing this.
1 Perhaps the crew could be divided into operational and marines. The marine’s tasks would be those of boarding and boarding defense. Then you would no longer have to assign tasks to NPCs they would have one inherintly.
2 If you are the one being boarded and you don’t want such a powerful ship to fall into an enemy’s hand perhaps such a large ship should also have a self-destruct system in place.

If you can command crew to board a ship, what about you? AI can do the same as the player, and reverse. It would have to become FPS, because you're not always the commander.

Numbers are just numbers. This shouldn't become a number game.

1. Why marines?
2. OK.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Behemoth wrote:If you can command crew to board a ship, what about you? AI can do the same as the player, and reverse. It would have to become FPS, because you're not always the commander.

Numbers are just numbers. This shouldn't become a number game.

1. Why marines?
2. OK.
I assume, repeat I assume that you can’t become a crew member of an NPC’s capital ship. And even if you could who the hell would want to play in such a way.

Why not marines? I simply chose the name out of the use that marines originally had during the era of the wood and canon ship battles.

X3:TC had marines that specialized in boarding ships (sometimes 'specialized' is used very loosely) and there was no method of seeing how well they were doing except through the audio (people screaming, guns firing, and updates from the squad leader).

However, since there will be no voices for marines or anything, maybe there should just be text updates? *Ship is 15% secure* *Ship is 40% secure* *50% of boarding party remaining* etc. Sure, it isn't very immersive for you because you won't have voices for anything (unless Josh changes anything...which I doubt is in the works). And I think if you are boarding an enemy ship, the fighting would cause damage to some hardpoints (not like blowing them up completely but gradual damage depending on how long the fighting takes.

Should shields have to be down before boarding? Or be within the shield bubble (If they are using the loose kind)? Would make sense I think. :monkey:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:X3:TC had marines that specialized in boarding ships (sometimes 'specialized' is used very loosely) and there was no method of seeing how well they were doing except through the audio (people screaming, guns firing, and updates from the squad leader).

However, since there will be no voices for marines or anything, maybe there should just be text updates? *Ship is 15% secure* *Ship is 40% secure* *50% of boarding party remaining* etc. Sure, it isn't very immersive for you because you won't have voices for anything (unless Josh changes anything...which I doubt is in the works). And I think if you are boarding an enemy ship, the fighting would cause damage to some hardpoints (not like blowing them up completely but gradual damage depending on how long the fighting takes.

Should shields have to be down before boarding? Or be within the shield bubble (If they are using the loose kind)? Would make sense I think. :monkey:
I had not thought about the shields part. Good point!

McDuff wrote:NPCs are interchangeable with the player. That's in the design docs.
I understand but my question remains. Who would want to play in that way? Presuming that in the game an NPC would ask you to become a member of he's capital ship crew would you accept. I would not, I don't want to be a passenger I want my own ship even if my own ship is a rusty old fighter. But that is just me

Hadrianus wrote:Why not marines? I simply chose the name out of the use that marines originally had during the era of the wood and canon ship battles.
Every thing ever calls people-shooting-people-in-space
"marines". Read the page I linked to.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

FAQ wrote:The following are items that will not be in the game;
  • Player avatars (you can not get out of your ship and walk around)
  • Crew management
  • Flying around planetary surfaces (you will have a transitioned landing sequence but no manual process on planets)
  • Gravity
  • Orbital mechanics
  • Boarding ships
  • Cockpit (Possibly a fixed cockpit, but no working instruments)
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

ThymineC wrote:
Behemoth wrote:And what was it?
I can't say now, but some of Josh's latest ideas from his dev logs are partly inspired by them. I need time to flesh out the ideas more fully, though. I've discussed these ideas with Cornflakes and Sly and they're both in favour. It would be fun to see it put in practice. :P
Sly is the weakest link! Everyone gang up on Sly and make him talk!

In other news...
Image (There was a 'flesh out' part before it but it wasn't as funny as this)
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

During boarding operations of a military vessel, attackers are at a HUGE disadvantage. They have to cut through bulkheads and fight their way through the ship while the crew is free to kill them in far easier ways than firefights. (Dump halon, displace oxygen, release H2S, pump out air etc.)

This can be reflected in game as just "defenders are 150% more effective than attackers"

I do like the idea of boarding ships to capture them, but I think defenders should be at a massive advantage.

Sasha wrote:I do like the idea of boarding ships to capture them, but I think defenders should be at a massive advantage.
I think that Josh's giving his approval to crew mechanics does at least put boarding in play as well.

The final word may be "nope, just not enough time," in which case, OK. Otherwise, I sort of like the idea, and would be OK with a simple schematic representation if I'm the commander of the ship from whence the boarding action comes.

I also agree that defenders should have an advantage. But higher-tech personal defenses will even those odds, and massive numbers will win by attrition.

If Lord Vader wants your ship, he's going to get it.

Online Now