Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Realistically-Sized Systems and Travel

outlander4 wrote:
ThymineC wrote:Mate, I don't think it's possible to have any ship capable of supporting dozens, hundreds or maybe thousands of people and have it so that they emit less than 1W of radiation. Like, really. :\
Nae, big ships are out of question, of course. Dozen of people is an option, though.
Big ships are out of the question? Who says and why? And how big is "big"? I mean this game is going to have capitals, right?

Or do you mean big ships are out of the question as it concerns stealth mechanics?

I meant stealth, of course. Sorry for the confusion.

You can't just hide a capital ship. I even if you put the entire crew into spacesuits, vent the atmosphere away and turn off everything - people will see you with naked eye anyway, unless they are too dumb to live. In that case, you won't need stealth; you'll just approach them telling that you're friend.

Using small ships for stealth makes some cultural sense, thought; when space is an ocean space pirates use small ships, like their seagoing predecessors did. We are used to that :)
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

outlander4 wrote:I meant stealth, of course. Sorry for the confusion.

You can't just hide a capital ship. I even if you put the entire crew into spacesuits, vent the atmosphere away and turn off everything - people will see you with naked eye anyway, unless they are too dumb to live. In that case, you won't need stealth; you'll just approach them telling that you're friend.
I really hope that even in the default-scaled version of LT, systems will still be large enough that you can't just spot everyone else in the system by looking their way. Srsly, Josh. Srsly.
outlander4 wrote:Using small ships for stealth makes some cultural sense, thought; when space is an ocean space pirates use small ships, like their seagoing predecessors did. We are used to that :)
If stealth is implemented in LT, I think it's reasonable to imagine smaller ships being used for stealth.

ThymineC wrote:I really hope that even in the default-scaled version of LT, systems will still be large enough that you can't just spot everyone else in the system by looking their way. Srsly, Josh. Srsly.
Freelancer has really tiny systems but even some small planets are not visible from across the system, safe to say capital ships. So your back is covered here, don't you worry.

ThymineC wrote:I really hope that even in the default-scaled version of LT, systems will still be large enough that you can't just spot everyone else in the system by looking their way. Srsly, Josh. Srsly.
Indeed. "Space is big" plus space-colored paint. Problem solved. :)

Even a "big" ship, I'm pretty sure, is going to be insignificantly tiny compared to the vastness of space. I really wouldn't expect to see other ships visually unless they're close enough to throw rocks at me. Everybody else would be a sensor blip at best.

Better keep power going to those sensors....

Sorry, couldn't find a more relevant thread (that wasn't locked or located within the LTP sub-forum) and didn't want to make a new one.

Elite: Dangerous will feature asteroids located in rings around gas giants.

They also move and rotate!

I'm not suggesting this for LT, I'm just saying that this is cool, and a demonstration that it is actually possible with today's hardware. So maybe we can have this for LT2?

Idunno wrote:How big are the systems in LT anyway? :monkey:
I'm not sure. As a default, perhaps a little larger than in Freelancer?

I tried to find out how large systems were in Freelancer but everything was in arbitrary distance units. :| Systems could be something like -500000 to 500000, but it didn't specify any units.

Edit: Well, all that really matters is the relationships between things, and as the maximum speed vessels can fly at in Freelancer is 300 arbitrary distance units per second, it should take just less than an hour to cross the theoretically largest system in Freelancer at max theoretical velocity, I think.

ThymineC wrote: I tried to find out how large systems were in Freelancer but everything was in arbitrary distance units. :| Systems could be something like -500000 to 500000, but it didn't specify any units.

Edit: Well, all that really matters is the relationships between things, and as the maximum speed vessels can fly at in Freelancer is 300 arbitrary distance units per second, it should take just less than an hour to cross the theoretically largest system in Freelancer at max theoretical velocity, I think.
From 20 to 40 minutes since you're going from jumphole to jumphole; they are somewhat closer to the centre of the system that actual system borders. Actually, Freelancer is a dishonest game - there's no ‘hard’ limit to the system size - you can fly in any direction forever, but once you reach system's border you won't physically move. Engines will still be firing, and movement effects will still work, so the sensation of movement will still be there. Can get a wee bit confusing at times. And it's just one thing; the whole gameplay seems to mock you ever so gently. It's part of the flavour :)

Hm, I've noticed an inconsistency between some mechanics that have been proposed here and elsewhere.

In Jumpdrives, Jumpgates and Wormholes, I've argued in favour of letting wormholes be established between two points within the same system. In this thread, I've proposed a "transfer lane" concept (based on Freelancer's trade lanes).

Both intra-system wormholes and transfer lanes would allow for fast transit within a system, so is there any point in having both? Would we have to scrap transfer/trade lanes, or make it impossible for a wormhole to connect between two points in the same system, or is there some way of making both remain useful?

ThymineC wrote:Hm, I've noticed an inconsistency between some mechanics that have been proposed here and elsewhere.

In Jumpdrives, Jumpgates and Wormholes, I've argued in favour of letting wormholes be established between two points within the same system. In this thread, I've proposed a "transfer lane" concept (based on Freelancer's trade lanes).

Both intra-system wormholes and transfer lanes would allow for fast transit within a system, so is there any point in having both? Would we have to scrap transfer/trade lanes, or make it impossible for a wormhole to connect between two points in the same system, or is there some way of making both remain useful?
Just make intra-system wormholes way to expensive to have any benefit over trade lanes, that way nobody will make them for intra-system travel but make trade lanes instead.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now