Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Realistically-Sized Systems and Travel

McDuff wrote:With a mass-based system of acceleration and such, one would imagine that the big juicy targets for your nefarious piratical ways would always be slower than you, though.

I've not really got a dog in the "big distances" hunt, mind. I don't care much either way, as long as whatever scaling system is used means I don't get bored or lost.
Aye, you can use any kind of scaling system you like and still use realistically-sized systems. It's just a matter of playing with velocities and tweaking a few other game mechanics. Personally, I think ~10 minutes at maximum to cross a system sounds fine, but if Flatfinger's ~30 minutes to cross a system is better, than we could just scale it to make that work as well.

McDuff wrote:With a mass-based system of acceleration and such, one would imagine that the big juicy targets for your nefarious piratical ways would always be slower than you, though.
Unless they dump all that juicy but high-mass cargo to make their escape.

That seems like a plausible trade-off for allowing escape.

Which probably deserves to go in an existing Piracy thread.

ThymineC wrote:Another cool thing I forgot to mention earlier is that having big systems and consequently high speeds of travel allows for the possibility of some neat graphical Doppler shift effects.

You're not traveling fast though. Hdrive is teleports, remember, so the light you are receiving is not frame shifted at all. ;)

That misconception cleared up, I must say this entire thread has a disconcerting lack of credit to Independence War 2, which was a incredibly fun and awesome game made in 2001 that does virtually everything ThymineC's original post laid out.

- Systems were realistically sized. Trips of billions of KM were not uncommon. Local interactions occurred on the scale and speeds that space game fans are familiar with.

- Travel through the system is by a Linear Displacement System.. Pretty much exactly the same technobabble as an H-Drive. It operated on a logarithmic scale with a minimum speed of 1000m/s all the way up to C(controllable by the players throttle or by a well executed autopilot feature).

- Coupled with the LDS, was the LDSi Missile, an interdiction missile that would warp to the target, disable their LDS drive temporarily, and leave a waypoint for you to warp to yourself. This allowed combat to, as stated previously, occur at normal ranges and speeds that a human is capable of handling. Oh, and the LDSi missile had a very wide range of effect, meaning you were generally caught in it too.. No easy running away!

- The other form of fast travel was literally the best jump system I've ever seen. It was called the Capsule Drive, and operated by jumping from points of gravitational stability to other such points. Namely, the L1 point of any binary planet or star system. This provided choke points for traffic, but it was not a strict gate system like EVE or Freelancer had... Any Lpoint in a system could reach any other Lpoint in the system. Larger Lpoints could reach other solar systems. And it wasn't a gate in the middle of nowhere.. They were always close to planets, so you had nice scenery.

About the only downside of the game was its map.. Pretty crappy. That and long missions with no save points(though sometimes I feel that is part of the charm).

Seriously though.. Anyone who says that realistic sizes can't be done, and can't be fun, you are provably wrong. Independence War 2 did it 12 years ago. It was easily Freelancers superior(with the exception that freelancer had a pretty kickass multiplayer component).
Flatfingers wrote:
Unless they dump all that juicy but high-mass cargo to make their escape.

That seems like a plausible trade-off for allowing escape.

Which probably deserves to go in an existing Piracy thread.

Yes. It always bugs me when they make haulers slow, even when empty. Damnit, its a box with engines and virtually nothing else. A hauler would be about the fastest thing in space if it dumped its cargo. And gameplay wise, haulers are a herbivore to the pirates carnivore. But being a herbivore doesn't mean it has to be a defenseless herbivore. Being exceedingly efficient at running away is a very suitable natural defense to give such ships.

And I certainly hope that mining lasers pack a punch as well. I don't care what its primary purpose is.. Its also a ridiculously powerful laser that, while it may not be designed as a weapon, is certainly capable of putting watts on a target.

(Yes, I am disappointed in EVE at making all the economic roles so utterly defenseless for the player pirates to feast on).

CutterJohn wrote:
ThymineC wrote:Another cool thing I forgot to mention earlier is that having big systems and consequently high speeds of travel allows for the possibility of some neat graphical Doppler shift effects.

You're not traveling fast though. Hdrive is teleports, remember, so the light you are receiving is not frame shifted at all. ;)
So what? I believe you could still get classic (non-relativistic) Doppler effect whether or not you are moving or simply teleporting at an extremely fast rate over very short distances:
The relative changes in frequency can be best explained as follows. When the source of the waves is moving toward the observer, each successive wave crest is emitted from a position closer to the observer than the previous wave. Therefore each wave takes slightly less time to reach the observer than the previous wave. Therefore the time between the arrival of successive wave crests at the observer is reduced, causing an increase in the frequency. While they are travelling, the distance between successive wave fronts is reduced; so the waves "bunch together". Conversely, if the source of waves is moving away from the observer, each wave is emitted from a position farther from the observer than the previous wave, so the arrival time between successive waves is increased, reducing the frequency. The distance between successive wave fronts is increased, so the waves "spread out".(emphasis added)
If the jump frequency is significantly higher than that of light in whichever EM band you wish to consider, and the jump distance less than the wavelength (crest-to-crest distance), then it should still cause a non-relativistic Doppler effect I believe.
CutterJohn wrote:And I certainly hope that mining lasers pack a punch as well. I don't care what its primary purpose is.. Its also a ridiculously powerful laser that, while it may not be designed as a weapon, is certainly capable of putting watts on a target.
It's not a laser, though, it's just a transfer beam. It could still be weaponised perhaps, though.

ThymineC wrote: It's not a laser, though, it's just a transfer beam. It could still be weaponised perhaps, though.
:think:

Distrupting H-fields (overlapping fields). A beam-based cruise distruptor. To hold your prey, when you violently rip their ship apart with your slow ROF cannon. :twisted:
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Behemoth wrote:
ThymineC wrote: It's not a laser, though, it's just a transfer beam. It could still be weaponised perhaps, though.

Distrupting H-fields (overlapping fields). A beam-based cruise distruptor. To hold your prey, when you violently rip their ship apart with your slow ROF cannon. :twisted:
...That would so cool. This would have to be for normal-speed disruption though - cruise speeds in a realistically-sized system would be superluminal, and I don't know about you but I have trouble hitting stuff moving faster than the speed of light. :P For superluminal disruption, you'd need something like a module that could cast a "net" over several million kilometers in every direction around you.

For normal-speed disruption though, this would be awesome! Just pointing a beam at a ship and watching their drive get disrupted. Imagine the visual effects! To be able to see the electromagnetic rings around the ship destabilise and collapse...my fingers are literally twitching from thinking about the visual effects.

ThymineC wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

...That would so cool. This would have to be for normal-speed disruption though - cruise speeds in a realistically-sized system would be superluminal, and I don't know about you but I have trouble hitting stuff moving faster than the speed of light. :P For superluminal disruption, you'd need something like a module that could cast a "net" over several million kilometers in every direction around you.

For normal-speed disruption though, this would be awesome! Just pointing a beam at a ship and watching their drive get disrupted. Imagine the visual effects! To be able to see the electromagnetic rings around the ship destabilise and collapse...my fingers are literally twitching from thinking about the visual effects.
It could be integrated with tractor beams...
One device to rule them all!

So now that Josh has (very kindly and awesomely) implemented a "realistic scales" mod for Limit Theory, would it be too greedy to ask for flight mechanics to be designed that are tailored to these kinds of scales to make getting around such vast amounts of space fun? I propose possible such mechanics in this thread, but I'm open to anything that would work well.

I'm only asking because I just saw this gif and thought of how cool it would be to have something similar in Limit Theory.

With all the debate going on in these suggestion threads I may have missed some relevant words of wisdom but I thought we were getting something similar to cruise mode from Freelancer in LT as well as very swift "highways" in the more civilized systems of the universe. I understand that the Freelancer systems were smaller in scale but couldn't you compensate by having a cruise mode that had a higher top speed?

Please tell me we are not getting in-system jump engines. Has Josh mentioned in-system jump engines?

Victor Tombs wrote:With all the debate going on in these suggestion threads I may have missed some relevant words of wisdom but I thought we were getting something similar to cruise mode from Freelancer in LT as well as very swift "highways" in the more civilized systems of the universe. I understand that the Freelancer systems were smaller in scale but couldn't you compensate by having a cruise mode that had a higher top speed?

Please tell me we are not getting in-system jump engines. Has Josh mentioned in-system jump engines?
I think having a higher cruise-mode top speed would more or less suffice as a bare minimum, if cruise-mode is intended solely for travelling between points of interests within a system and not for things such as evasive maneuvering (in which case you'd need to give more thought to balancing it all, as it wouldn't do to let agents "evasive maneuver" at 5 astronomical units per second).

ThymineC wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:With all the debate going on in these suggestion threads I may have missed some relevant words of wisdom but I thought we were getting something similar to cruise mode from Freelancer in LT as well as very swift "highways" in the more civilized systems of the universe. I understand that the Freelancer systems were smaller in scale but couldn't you compensate by having a cruise mode that had a higher top speed?

I think having a higher cruise-mode top speed would more or less suffice as a bare minimum, if cruise-mode is intended solely for travelling between points of interests within a system and not for things such as evasive maneuvering (in which case you'd need to give more thought to balancing it all, as it wouldn't do to let agents "evasive maneuver" at 5 astronomical units per second).
I'm trying to recall what Josh said somewhere in a PM or on the EC forums. I know he had some ideas fairly early on about cruise mode, it was definitely discussed. Well in Freelancer, if you were a decent enough pilot you could usually extricate yourself from dangerous situations using trusty cruise mode and jamming like mad any Disruptor missiles which were fired at you. Pretty exciting stuff, "running" for your life. :D Not sure about balance issues but surely that is what testing is all about?

Online Now