Return to “Suggestions”

Space Elevators

I was recently reading on space elevators and found the idea fascinating, and was wondering if this would be a good idea for LT.

But before I go on let us establish what a space elevator is. A space elevator would be a device that would allow transportation from earth to orbit and vice versa, along a cable stretched between two counterweights, one located on earth or on a planet’s surface near or on the equator and the other located in space, in geosynchronous orbit.

Why would this be important in the LT universe? Imagine you own an industrial planet and you want to get your goods of that planet and to the universal market. You got two ways: use a ship, which would mean that the ship has to land be loaded and take off again, with all the risks associated and the costs as well. Or you could load your goods onto a space elevator and transport them into orbit. There are: virtually no land or take off risks and the costs would be lower, much lower. If a space elevator would be built with today’s technology you could transport a kg to space at a cost of 200 € compared that to 8000 to 12000 € it costs through conventional means and you see the benefits, especially if you are a trade minded player such a cost reducer would clearly be beneficial for your corporate empire.

However there would also be downsides, a space elevator would be a massive investment, it is not something that could be built on the cheap and it would be more suited for slow but steady operations rather than quick draw type commerce. Since transporting something to orbit or Vice Versa would take about 3 days.

I think this would be a logical and beneficial addition to the LT universe, but as always I put the idea to the test. Let me know what you think!
Re: Space Elevators

I'd like to see space elevators as part of the "orbital-esque" infrastructure around highly developed planets.

Of course since there are no real transitions, the bit at the top of the elevator would be functionally just the same as landing and docking on a ground-based spaceport, but shhhhh, graphics mean we can pretend that's not true at all :D

fatmop wrote:If planets are "upgradeable," a space elevator might make sense as one of the more expensive trade upgrade options.
I like the idea of upgradeable planets. Doubt it'll be in-game, but I like this.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Space Elevators would be a fine idea but in my opinion the biggest investment in constructing one should be time and the amount of resources and not credits. The bonus that it gives should be significant in order to determine a player to invest such resources but it needs to be also made clear the scale of such a project (lore wise).

+1 Cheers
Last edited by Rapidcore on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

There will be powers out there with enough cash to throw to an endeavour like this. If drones can build everything it's only a matter of time, money and a blueprint. The question is: there will be a blueprint for it? for a planetary ring? for a Dyson sphere? If you play LT for years upon years, can you research on BP like hell and reach that point? That would be epic, of course. But practicable?
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Always loved the idea of space elevators, and would love to see a game that incorporated massive space infrastructure like that.

Besides looking cool, it would also have a good gameplay purpose, by making it so you no longer need a ship capable of landing and atmospheric flight to sell goods to the ground, or pick stuff up from the ground.(technically, there would be a several hour or day delay while the stuff is transferred, but I don't think anyone would mind if we ignored that).

+1 Space Elevators

Space Elevators are on the brink of being a real thing and are soo much more efficient than rockets for getting things up and down safely. It would be strange not to have them or upgraded versions in the game. The hard part will be to make them visually appealing as the real cable would be so thin that it is as good as invisible. I trust that Josh will have the inspiration to come with a good solution :)

Before we can construct an earthbound elevator stronger materials are need for the cable. With todays materials and technologies a lunar elevator is possible and Liftport Group is designing one right now: http://lunarelevator.com

There are two documentaries in the making right now that got funding via Kickstarter:
Sky Line - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ocumentary
Shoot the Moon - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... ature-film

I really like this idea of a space elevator but what I like even more is the idea of it being a part of a planet upgrade. Labeling it as a planet upgrade is unappealing to me and I find that it sounds more enticing when one thinks of it as a part of the life cycle of developing an industrialized planet.
Perhaps we've never been visited by aliens because they have looked upon Earth and decided there's no sign of intelligent life.
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Online Now