Faction relayes
Total votes: 5 (8%)
Stardates
Total votes: 18 (29%)
Other, please sugest below
Total votes: 1 (2%)
Total votes: 62
Re: Time

If everything is procedural, why not allow the player to define the scale and units of time?

The game would still be running in realtime but 3 seconds would be displayed as 1 gazzek, 100 gazzeks make a gazzum, and 30 gazzum make a filbiridongle.
Don't need an equivalent for months or the likes. Space has no seasons.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:If everything is procedural, why not allow the player to define the scale and units of time?

The game would still be running in realtime but 3 seconds would be displayed as 1 gazzek, 100 gazzeks make a gazzum, and 30 gazzum make a filbiridongle.
A days and years equivalent would however be nice, so you could look into your ship log and see that you bought something at a specific star date (or something like that).
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
Gazz wrote:If everything is procedural, why not allow the player to define the scale and units of time?

A days and years equivalent would however be nice, so you could look into your ship log and see that you bought something at a specific star date (or something like that).
Aw crap. Stardates!

This should have been on the list. I hope Rens will add it and can allow us to change our votes.

I want everything to be expressed in terms of stardates, with a convenient way to convert to days/hours (and vice versa).

Hardenberg wrote:Normal timekeeping, please.

The game is happening in real-time, and it would be smashing if the bloody thing could simply tell me that my order of flak ammo is ready in 5 minutes, 21 seconds instead of giving me a reading of 34 zarrixxian morbuls, which I can convert into real-time by estimating the orbital velocity of Zarixx 5 around its primary star and then feeding this information into a handy-dandy converter software that you can find only through a wiki-link.

Usability, people!
This. Follow my favourite philosophy: KISS. :twisted:

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Hardenberg wrote:Normal timekeeping, please.

The game is happening in real-time, and it would be smashing if the bloody thing could simply tell me that my order of flak ammo is ready in 5 minutes, 21 seconds instead of giving me a reading of 34 zarrixxian morbuls, which I can convert into real-time by estimating the orbital velocity of Zarixx 5 around its primary star and then feeding this information into a handy-dandy converter software that you can find only through a wiki-link.

Usability, people!
This. Follow my favourite philosophy: KISS. :twisted:
Oh, for those kind of purposes I'd definitely want to have regular hours/minutes used. I was thinking of having stardates more for recording the dates at which events occurred, or for when I'm making logs. I'm pretty sure Picard doesn't say, "I want a coffee and I'd like to have it by stardate 24512.6" (or whenever).

Oh, for those kind of purposes I'd definitely want to have regular hours/minutes used. I was thinking of having stardates more for recording the dates at which events occurred, or for when I'm making logs. I'm pretty sure Picard doesn't say, "I want a coffee and I'd like to have it by stardate 24512.6" (or whenever).
Yeah for logs n stuff: stardates
other shizzle: hours/minutes/seconds

I think you all mist the pint.

Earth's rotation is the rotation of the solid Earth around its own axis 23 hours 56 minutes and 4 seconds
1 year 365 days, 6 hours and 7seconds 1 year has 12 months.

but planet A may have 22 hours day and 341 day year.
and planet B may have 26 hours day and 383 day year.
and planet C may have 24 hours day and 352 day year.

the seconds, minutes and hours is good for all day = ? 24 hours (best for use) and whar is a year?
what we ned is a Universe time bast on ? bast on planet Earth most like because body clock(circadian rhythm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm).
so all thins in space are on Universe time (Earth time) but on a planet for long you go to planet time.

but for LT the Earth time is good for use as adding planet time zones add 0 to the game
kickstarter: THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDES

Lee_Newsum wrote:I think you all mist the pint.

Earth's rotation is the rotation of the solid Earth around its own axis 23 hours 56 minutes and 4 seconds

the seconds, minutes and hours is good for all day = ? 24 hours (best for use) and whar is a year?
what we ned is a Universe time bast on ? bast on planet Earth most like because body clock(circadian rhythm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm).
so all thins in space are on Universe time (Earth time) but on a planet for long you go to planet time.

but for LT the Earth time is good for use as adding planet time zones add 0 to the game
I really can't imagine a scenario where I would care what local time was.

X3 did the alien times.. Jazuras/stazuras/mizuras/etc, and they didn't correspond to our clock. It was horrible.

Pretend the alternate time keeping systems exist(since they would), and your ships computer is smart enough to convert them all for you so you don't even have to think about it. :D
Last edited by CutterJohn on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee_Newsum wrote:I think you all mist the pint.

I am very well aware that our time concept is based on the physical properties of the planet we live on.
That's even part of the problem, if you play the game you wan't it to be clear what e.g. your reload time is, using hours, minutes and seconds will make this clear because everyone who will play the game knows what a second is, but if you put reload time in galactic standard time or planet X time, you would first have the need to convert it what would take time and give you a disadvantage in battle.
I also think that for simplicity reasons not more than ONE type of time measurement should be used to avoid confusion. (star dates for logs can however be different because they would be spread over bigger amounts of time, but for simple timekeeping (time to reload/ complete a mission/ ...) we should use the standard hours, minutes and seconds)

CutterJohn wrote:Pretend the alternate time keeping systems exist(since they would), and your ships computer is smart enough to convert them all for you so you don't even have to think about it. :D
This is exactly what I'm assuming to be the case. Any alien time systems are automatically converted into local time by the ship's computer before you see them.

ThymineC wrote:
CutterJohn wrote: local time
but what is that?
are we going to tack Earth time to the Universe i.e it is 20:47 on 17/01/2014 in all the Universe

yes the player see the time in seconds, minutes and hours.

but 1 year in one system is not the same in the over one. so all the nap in the Universe mack time in earth years? or not.

the one game play this may add is attacking middal of the night.
kickstarter: THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDES

Lee_Newsum wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
but what is that?
are we going to tack Earth time to the Universe i.e it is 20:47 on 17/01/2014 in all the Universe

yes the player see the time in seconds, minutes and hours.

but 1 year in one system is not the same in the over one. so all the nap in the Universe mack time in earth years? or not.

the one game play this may add is attacking middal of the night.
By local time, I mean something like 23:45 11/7/4592 or something. It's set in the future, but one minute passing in the game time system is the same as one minute passing in real life.

Grumblesaur wrote:Measure it by Planck Time units, that way you just have a really ridiculous number counting up in the clock.
You're late.

Uh...

We were supposed to meet ages ago, where were you?

I thought you said to meet in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tP...

No, you retard, I said to meet in 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tP!

Lee_Newsum wrote:
ThymineC wrote:
but what is that?.
Its the time you think it is. According to you it is 2014. According to an Ethiopian it is 2006. The Islamic calendar has 355 days(it is a lunar calendar, not a solar calendar).

Who really cares if, according to a jarblaxian, it is the year 129054, where year corresponds to a minor inner planet they thought was a deity. They have a 9 day weekly cycle, no months, and they use decimal time instead of an ancient babylonian system based on the number 60. Its also january 17, 2014.

Online Now