Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Planetary Movement

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hadrianus wrote: I’m sorry but you don't seem to understand that such a large device would only have a use when it would be used for great distances. The rest of the time it would be a burden to the ship carrying it, both in relation to size and energy draw. Since like most large engines they become very inefficient at low velocities. Why wouldn’t every car have a Ferrari engine?

The same can be stated for canons, we can make them very efficient, but it is still impractical for each soldier to carry a canon, that is why we have special artillery units, that is why we would need these "gates"
my whole problem was that objects maybe 8 times the volume of a fighter have means of transport thousand times more efficient than said fighters drive
and why we arent utilising that efficiency increasing techniques in the fighter too
Because that efficiency increases with size, so in order to be as efficient a fighter would have to be as large and at that point it is no longer a fighter.

Hadrianus wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hadrianus wrote: I’m sorry but you don't seem to understand that such a large device would only have a use when it would be used for great distances. The rest of the time it would be a burden to the ship carrying it, both in relation to size and energy draw. Since like most large engines they become very inefficient at low velocities. Why wouldn’t every car have a Ferrari engine?

The same can be stated for canons, we can make them very efficient, but it is still impractical for each soldier to carry a canon, that is why we have special artillery units, that is why we would need these "gates"
my whole problem was that objects maybe 8 times the volume of a fighter have means of transport thousand times more efficient than said fighters drive
and why we arent utilising that efficiency increasing techniques in the fighter too
Because that efficiency increases with size, so in order to be as efficient a fighter would have to be as large and at that point it is no longer a fighter.
then would someting with the relative volume of 20 be much, much faster than the fighter

ThymineC wrote:
Behemoth wrote:Well, my second prediction held up.

What about the jumpdrives? :squirrel:
What predictions?
These:
Behemoth wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:*snip*
What about the jumpdrives?

They have to be FTL, and cost fuel. So not H-drives.

My prediction is, that Thymine will have a convincing way to implement jumpdrives as H-drives by tomorrow. :squirrel:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:*snip*
I have no idea. Again, I predict, that this inconsistency will be gone by tomorrow. (Already fulfilled by ridiculous scale differences)
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

then would someting with the relative volume of 20 be much, much faster than the fighter[/quote]

Have you ever heard of a bell curve? Every technology has a limit to its efficiency, Yes the large the drive would get, the faster it would get hypothetically, but at some point further increase in size would no longer increase speed.

And after the “top” of the bell curve would be reached further increase in size would actually lead to greater inefficiency rather than greater efficiency.

Hadrianus wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:then would someting with the relative volume of 20 be much, much faster than the fighter

Have you ever heard of a bell curve? Every technology has a limit to its efficiency, Yes the large the drive would get, the faster it would get hypothetically, but at some point further increase in size would no longer increase speed.

And after the “top” of the bell curve would be reached further increase in size would actually lead to greater inefficiency rather than greater efficiency.
we have been gone too far off-topic in this thread for now, i'll send you an PM
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hadrianus wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:then would someting with the relative volume of 20 be much, much faster than the fighter

we have been gone too far off-topic in this thread for now, i'll send you an PM

Roger that!

Online Now