Return to “LTFC Archives”

LTFC v1 : Limit Theory Fan Contest

Take part in the discussion --> here
Only submissions in this thread, please.
Hey everyone!

Seeing as the hype train is in full acceleration, I thought it would be fun to do a little contest.
I present to you the first instalment of the (unofficial) Limit Theory Fan Contest.

The objective: Create art about Limit Theory.
This could be in written form as a story, or a detailed idea for a mod. It could be visual like a gif, photoshop or video. Or even audio... Anyone up for a bit of stand-up about Limit Theory?
These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, but I'm sure you guys can think of a lot more. It is fine to use other games' assets in your submissions.
Rule of thumb: "Does it spotlight Limit Theory?".

The prizes: Three games. Games are delivered by means of a steam key.
The three submissions with the highest score can pick one key each.

The rules:
  • The artwork needs to be about Limit Theory per the objective.
  • Everybody is free to enter but can only submit one entry to the contest. You are however free to change or replace your submission for as long as the contest is open.
  • If you have submitted more than one work, you need to be very clear about which one you're entering. If there is any doubt, the entry latest in the forum thread will be judged.
  • All contest submissions have to be made as a reply to this thread.
  • Judges are barred from making any submissions themselves.
  • The contest will be open to new submissions until Sunday 2014/08/10, 23:59 GMT+2 (CET).
  • The contest will be open to new submissions until Sunday 2014/08/24, 23:59 GMT+2 (CET).
  • The contest will be open to new submissions until Sunday 2014/08/31, 23:59 GMT+2 (CET).
  • The three submissions with the highest score can pick one prize each.
  • Discussion about this contest or submissions can happen here.
Note: if you're using another site to host content, make sure the title and comment displays that it's part of a contest submission.

Judging:
Three people will judge the submissions based on the following criteria:
  • Originality: 30%
  • Aesthetic: 25%
  • Details: 10%
  • X factor: 20%
  • Realism according to the LT universe: 15%
Want to be in the jury?
We currently only have two judges, a moderator and myself. If you'd like to be a judge, please send me a PM.
All jury spots are currently filled with 2 backups.
Keep in mind that judges can't make a submission themselves.

Final disclaimer: This is the first time I'm organizing a contest like this. It's possible some adjustments will happen during the course of its run.
Last edited by Katorone on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: LTFC v1 : Limit Theory Fan Contest

I don't know if this counts, or if it's against the rules. I didn't technically make all of it for the contest, but it was all made for LT within the past month and it never really got used.

I was working on an avatar for a fellow forum member, and wound up with something similar to this, but avatar-sized. And without the genuine LT background. (This background is actually a specially-colored screenshot of update #16.) The model and everything else is mine (made for said forum member), but the background is LT. Image It also looks like it would do well with a caption.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Spoiler:      SHOW
Original background image: Image Full area (WIP image): Image

And why isn't HowSerendipitous's stuff in here?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

All right, time to submit. I might decide I have to add something next week and resubmit but now I think it's done. ;)
I made a digital painting - my first to be precise; I used it to get to learn my new drawing tablet. I'm rather happy with the result though. :)
Image Some details are lost by the small resolution, so:

Click here for 1920x1080 version
Click here for the fullres 9600x5400 original (warning: 200 MB)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

The Limit Theory behind Limit Theory
The first key to understanding your limits is the concept of the Yin and the Yang. That which cannot be without another, each a reflection of the other. Water flows and soothes and is flexible, storms and rages and is rigid. There can be no winner without a loser, no shadow without a light to be obscured. Thus you must realise that with the concept of infinity comes the concept of the limit. Abandon both these concepts and you will strive forward ceaseless. Before one sees death, they do not tell tales of the philosopher’s elixir. Before one enjoys the vitality of rest, they do not fear the tossed and turning bed. So too you must return to a time before you knew infinity or forever in order to return to a time before you knew the limit or the end.

Second; the bright light casts shadows only when there is disparity between spaces. If the light spreads, then shadows cease. It is not attacking shadow that creates the changes in light but rather light too concentrated in one location. Thus spread your attention and garner the aid of others; in this way you may abandon the concept of light and dark. Thus you may abandon the concept of finite and infinite, by combining the finitely enlightened self with the infinitely unknown world. When these conjoin, you will achieve harmony.

Third; limitless increase brings no satisfaction. Set aside a time for use of the infinite, and thus make the limit once the limitless has been achieved. The convergence of the ideal and the practical results in the moderate, and so too realise that breaking the limits requires the utilisation of the limited and abstinence from the measureless. The miser with gold and silver bank is forever running out of money he can spend, the spendthrift with nary a cent can buy whatever he wants. Abandon these extremes and transcend past the duality of things into obscure and entirely different paths. The route to the limitless cannot result from adding to a pile, for if so then it has already been confined, yet it cannot come from nothing, for emptiness too is defined by its zero sum.

Maintain balance and aim not for the limitless, however, do not allow boundaries to confine you; thus you may achieve anything by avoiding the infinite and transcending the limited.

InfelixTurnus wrote:The Limit Theory behind Limit Theory
"Set aside a time for use of the infinite"
The Temporalists

To truly grasp limitless space, one must also grasp eternity, therefore in such a case nothing less than survival for eternity becomes an acceptable goal. This in turn is solidified by modern science by the imperative of ALL sentient life to maximise resources and manage the development of the cosmos through the brief 100 trillion years of the Stelliferous era and beyond...

To cast aside such limits, one readily acknowledges that the star forming current era of the universe is but the briefest afterglow, indistinguishable from the Big Bang itself, and that entropy is relentlessly increasing towards inevitable universal heat death. Those adhering to this long view do not however despair, but rather exult at the challenge of surviving in the eternal future ages to come, long after the stars have grown cold, and baryonic matter itself is but a remote memory. Such individuals not only expect to influence those eras, but also expect their consciousness to still be in existence in the far downstream.

The limit theorist will therefore never lose sight of eternity, and as such every action of the limit theorist is therefore geared towards infinite expansion into unexplored space, and conversion of said space resources into useful and controllable forms that will persist, or in time give rise to yet more advanced "structures" that will endure in the unimaginably low energy environments of 10E100 years hence and beyond.

In the end, when space becomes unchanging, time will be all we will have left. Therefore rejoice at eternity, and embrace space as a means to conquer time.

The Ones
Beauty. One word that could capture what was seen before me, but it was still not enough, no words could capture the immaculate view. Kophus, a primarily agriculture planet, shone, the reflection of the nearby star reflecting off of its vast oceans. Ships were coming into this sector from the warp lanes, they were sleek fighter ships with a red insignia with a sword on it, probably just some mercenaries heading here looking for work. My Tera device vibrated in the charging sleeve of my jacket, a table has opened up for me in the Clautov bar. I tap the side of the translucent device twice, automatically bringing me to my table.
I ordered a Cax’ob blood pounder, a drink that the great Cax’ob warriors of Ustion would drink before battle because they thought that it would make them more agile during combat. It is a bitter liquid. Nothing short of what a bitter man I am. It seemed appropriate as my guild, the Hollowforce, was on the brink of war with the Ravenshifters from the Alatheia System. I was not here to socialize like someone of my status would normally do. I was here to recruit. Kryhm brutes piled into the station, most likely from the ships I had seen earlier. The Kryhm race is a resilient one. Each member is covered in hard scales that range from a mild gray to a glossy black, these colors fade as they age. Most of the Kryhm that had entered looked really quite similar, muscular brutes, though there were a few that were different, they weren’t quite the brutes that their counterparts were, they seemed more relaxed, more in control. I tapped the side of my Tera and sent a ping to their Teras. They all looked over at me, I sported a deep grin.
The group walked over, quite swiftly,but equally cautious. I passed them a banner, the banner of the Hollowforce. The lead Kryhm took it and nodded to the other Kryhm. I got out of my seat and motioned them to follow me to the space dock. As we arrived at the space dock, I proceeded to jump into the cockpit of the Phoenix, a sleek fighter with red detailing and superior thrusters. My dashboard was equipped with a spot for my Tera, I put it there and the HUD cleared showing the various instruments installed onto the Phoenix. My Tera pinged, “Exit Request Accepted.” While in the Phoenix there was a different energy, my senses were heightened I felt like a part of the world around me. The Kryhm pilots came soon after. “for your next test you will have to follow me until I stop and tell you the results of this test.” With that I pulled my engine into cruise speed and headed straight for the Salax Asteroid Field. Upon arrival I swerved out of the way of the largest asteroid and continued my descent. The Kryhm kept up well. An almost twisted grin lay on my face as I shot through an asteroid and proceeded through the hole. The Kryhm lined up and continued through the hole. They were the ones. I brought them back to the station, bought all of them Cellenium ales and celebrated. This could be the time where we could beat the Ravenshifters. In the months following I sent them on various recon and interception missions, all extremely successful. I gave them higher rankings and sent them on more dangerous missions, assassinations and even system takeovers. In the most recent takeover we gained access to a fine piece of equipment that the Ravenshifters had been developing, a War Sun, a ship capable of destroying entire systems. With this War Sun we will win, and those Kryhm will be at the forefront of victory. We can only wait for our next strike.
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

Online Now