Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Lindsey] Friday, December 15, 2017

Hey Lindsey, to put what we talked about on IRC (Freelancer lazy ship design philosophy and similarity of design of various ships within one faction) in a more coherent shape, here's an imgur album with FL ships, and also some points about ships design in general which might or might not be of help (especially when it comes to building more...believable tech):

- re-using ship hulls and other parts may be lazy, but is constantly done IRL. Designing everything from scratch is time- and resource- consuming, and comes with its own set of 'childhood problems' to solve. It's always better to stick an old-and-tried solution unless you need to change some parameter rather dramatically, which leads us to...
- tech continuity breaks - when you really need to step up your game, you design parts from the scratch. For example, if you want a much better armour, you usually need a different hull. Outer bits and pieces (engines, stabilisers, wings and other sticking-out bits) might remain the same.
- form follows function. And the function of the fighter is to, well, fight. If it has very, very large frontal cross-section, it'd be much easier to hit, making designs like this one not particularly viable :D

However, ships that are not designed with fighting in mind (mining, exploration, cargo) can indeed have a large frontal cross-section.

And of course, awesome work, can't really stop being amazed at how good those ships look! :clap:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Aye, I'd love to see the lindseY-wing mk.1, mk.2, mk.pi. Just slight variations and product lines, quality tiers
Last edited by Hyperion on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

outlander wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:08 am

- re-using ship hulls and other parts may be lazy, but is constantly done IRL. ... It's always better to stick an old-and-tried solution unless you need to change some parameter rather dramatically, which leads us to...
- tech continuity breaks
Note: the following is based on a hobbyist programmer's perspective

I believe it would be easy to take a simple ship and add on or modify parts of its model, which could be tied into the AI's Ship Research, maybe the Player's default too just with an option to design your own model.

This would easily make all of Empire X's fighters look the same. Colors and textures would do well to unify all of Empire X's ship classes.
An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. - Oscar Wilde

We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Do similar parameters lead to similar results? If so, a given faction might have a limited range on the parameters, especially within a single ship line.
Radical changes in technology (like a wholly new reactor/engine/weapon system) might grant a new range for crafts using those technologies. This could imply "form follows function" by creating correlation between equipment and shape. For instance, your universe might have a drive technology which tends to produce ships with a large ring around them. This means you can identify ships with that drive by the existence of the ring.

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Do similar parameters lead to similar results? If so, a given faction might have a limited range on the parameters, especially within a single ship line.
Radical changes in technology (like a wholly new reactor/engine/weapon system) might grant a new range for crafts using those technologies. This could imply "form follows function" by creating correlation between equipment and shape. For instance, your universe might have a drive technology which tends to produce ships with a large ring around them. This means you can identify ships with that drive by the existence of the ring.
Styles are a WIP feature so that each faction will re-use parts, parameters, algorithms, shapes, and other factors so that different classes of ships within the same faction are similar visually. This includes technology advancement ^^
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Just a reminder that we're all basically on vacation right now, so replies to forums/ IRC/ Reddit/ etc will be on the dev's personal time, so probably less frequent. I'll be replying to things again on the 2nd, and my next devlog will be next Friday, January 5th. <33 Happy holidays everybody!
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

LindseyReid wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 pm
Just a reminder that we're all basically on vacation right now, so replies to forums/ IRC/ Reddit/ etc will be on the dev's personal time, so probably less frequent. I'll be replying to things again on the 2nd, and my next devlog will be next Friday, January 5th. <33 Happy holidays everybody!
We went for years without replies, Lindsey, so your approach is somewhat of a novelty for us. You're not obliged to reply to anything we say but I doubt that will ever change this Community. Insatiable seekers for answers would describe most if not all of the members here. ;) :)

I'm sure we all wish you happy holidays, Lindsey. :thumbup: :D :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:09 am
Insatiable seekers for answers would describe most if not all of the members here. ;) :)

Mr Speaker, I rise to denounce in the strongest possible terms the right honourable gentleman's characterization of the august members of this community as "insatiable."

Some of my best friends are entirely satiable, and I go so far as to submit as evidence the list of members of this community to demonstrate the remarkable level of satiety accomplished on a daily basis here.

;)

Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:11 am
Victor Tombs wrote:
Insatiable seekers for answers would describe most if not all of the members here. ;) :)

Mr Speaker, I rise to denounce in the strongest possible terms the right honourable gentleman's characterization of the august members of this community as "insatiable."

Some of my best friends are entirely satiable, and I go so far as to submit as evidence the list of members of this community to demonstrate the remarkable level of satiety accomplished on a daily basis here.

;)
Talk about a hidden gem. I love this post. Thank you for the Christmas present Flatfingers. I hope your day was merry and that you have a good new year!

BFett wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:11 am
Victor Tombs wrote:

;)
Talk about a hidden gem. I love this post. Thank you for the Christmas present Flatfingers. I hope your day was merry and that you have a good new year!

It was, thank you, and I hope the same for you and yours.

I was bored and made some basic greebles
Spoiler:      SHOW
Presumably the number, rotation, size, bevels and whatnot would be as procedural as the rest of the models
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now