Return to “Dev Logs”

Re: [Josh] Monday, November 6, 2017

To how many threads does it scale at the moment?
I'd reluctantly offer my new 16 thread rig for... testing :squirrel:

How would the factory unit code look like to report a completion with the sparsity condition?
Can you set up an automatically handled
Progressbar.progress=elapsedtime/demandedtime?

How would you handle events that change the production rate? Like power allocation changes.
With an onPowerChanged event that also returns the elapsed time since sleep?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

In regards to the visuals, great work guys! as has been pointed out, they're a bit rough and theres still lots of work to do, but those are a pretty solid foundation! The only other thing I'm wondering about with them is what their hit boxes look like, cause being pretty is great, but whamming into an invisible wall because the geometry got funky with its bad self would be annoying.

In regards to the "Limit Theory now acts like an operating system" bit... i probably fail to realize just how impressive that really is, but it still sounds really neat! Now lemme see if i understand it correctly. Lets say I want to have my Colony idea in the game, i also want to have Cornflakes' Pipelines, Thymine's Heisenberg Drive, an LTMPverse access gate, and just for S&G have a LT underwater parallel universe complete with totally different logic running in my normal game to be accessed by a special wormhole. If i understand your post correctly, you're saying i can run all that and so much more, and the game will intelligently give each piece of logic coming from those different mods its fair share of CPU time in relation to the rest of the game, and will also slow them down gracefully as more and more logic from my growing list of mods comes on board and takes up precious CPU time?

Would this also mean i could have a mod (though an "LT Program/App" now sounds more appropriate than a "mod" tbh) which could generate something manually defined to great detail, like say a perfect re-creation of the solar system with all the planets, dwarf planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and such. Could i have a manually defined system, perhaps even with scheduled events, existing somewhere in the otherwise entirely procedural universe? In other words, could we see "hand crafted" elements placed into the otherwise fully procedural universe?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

OMG! Lindsey's managed to make this in just 2 weeks... ...EVE quality designs or better are coming, get ready! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: An entire army...

But let's not forget that without Josh working hard on the graphics, none of this eye candy would be candy... ...and without Adam, the stations, for all their looks, would be dumb as f*ck...

So well done to all :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Mandatory army of clappers...
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.

I've got only a small amount of coding experience- just about enough where I can just about understand all the words you used- and even that is enough to make me super hyped reading that code-talky-bit.
And some of those screenies are absolutely gorgeous. (As an aside, #9 in the gallery reminds me a fair bit of the mothership from Homeworld for some reason. I approve.)

Hyperion wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 am
In regards to the "Limit Theory now acts like an operating system" bit... i probably fail to realize just how impressive that really is, but it still sounds really neat! Now lemme see if i understand it correctly. Lets say I want to have my Colony idea in the game, i also want to have Cornflakes' Pipelines, Thymine's Heisenberg Drive, an LTMPverse access gate, and just for S&G have a LT underwater parallel universe complete with totally different logic running in my normal game to be accessed by a special wormhole. If i understand your post correctly, you're saying i can run all that and so much more, and the game will intelligently give each piece of logic coming from those different mods its fair share of CPU time in relation to the rest of the game, and will also slow them down gracefully as more and more logic from my growing list of mods comes on board and takes up precious CPU time?
I believe what he has implemented will *help* those mods work together. If one of them is setup funky and it decides it NEEDS CPU time ALL the time, then the whole system will still crawl.

Man, the hype train really has no breaks.. It's still only going to be a game thats limited by hardware. No amount of hard work on Josh's end will fix the fact that a CPU can only work so fast. What he is trying, and I believe succeeding at, is to have regular people's hardware be capable of running the simulation that he has envisioned. A task countless others have succeeded at.

That quite the brain-dump :) Very interesting read!
JoshParnell wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm
...those calls to sleep are 'giving up' (in coroutine parlance, 'yielding') control of the CPU...
I suppose it's possible that sleep() is not the only function that yields. In fact, any function call into the engine (which in the OS analogy corresponds to a system call) may be made to yield as well. Don't know if that kind of granularity is necessary in this case, maybe it'll just add too much overhead...

Online Now