Return to “General”

Neuralink

What's everyone options on Neuralink?

If it was anyone other that was Elon developing it, I would assume it BS.

I do think Elon over sells it however. Can't see it being used to totally merge men and machines in some sort of symbiotic union. Not within any of our life times anyways.

Edit: Just noticed I posted this in the wrong section. If a Mod wants they can move it. Not that it really makes a difference now.
Last edited by Zanteogo on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature
Re: Neuralink

I'm all for, Brain/Machine Interfaces are the only way to get Telepathy and eventual migration of consciousness to a pure machine body.
Immortality is the goal after all.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:12 pm
I'm all for, Brain/Machine Interfaces are the only way to get Telepathy and eventual migration of consciousness to a pure machine body.
Immortality is the goal after all.
It's a cool concept. The thing that I have doubts on are how the brain will actually interlink with it.

I know it's proven technology and has been used to restore hearing already, but the brain processing of sound doesn't need to be that exact.

Elon talks about downloading and uploading memories, Telepathy, adding a third eye that can see infrared. Sounds cool, but we are now getting into precision and exact access to specific spots and functions. He brushes it off with the neural plasticity explanation. Problem is neural plasticity is very limited once we reach our teen years, it even starts to be somewhat limited after the age of 5. Unless they plan on installing these things at birth there is just no way. For example, it's way easier for children to learn new languages and to play a musical instrument. (Violin's are known to be super difficult for example after the age of 12) After this point your brain is just way for ridged.

My money is on it will have a use for basic things, or things that don't need to be exact. (moving a robotic arm for example might work, but using a fully functional robotic hand.. probably limited)

Unless they can find a way to restore at birth brain flexibility of course.

I also fear how this tech could be abused as well. Think of a country like China...
My Signature

There exist treatments which improve neuroplasticity. Not widespread yet, obviously, but there's a ton of potential there.
The concern I have is the electrodes themselves. Currently they have lifespans of something like ten years on the outside. Until there's likely to be no sensible degradation for my remaining expected lifespan I don't intend to get socketed.

0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:58 am
There exist treatments which improve neuroplasticity. Not widespread yet, obviously, but there's a ton of potential there.
The concern I have is the electrodes themselves. Currently they have lifespans of something like ten years on the outside. Until there's likely to be no sensible degradation for my remaining expected lifespan I don't intend to get socketed.
Hehehehe... cross this with the genetic modification stuff. Make an organic Symbiotic socket.
Then the device plugged into that can be changed out on a regular basis without issue.
BioModding doesnt have to alter the original after all.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:58 am
They have said one of the biggest challenges is this.

They also claim that the devices can be removed and reinstalled without any issue. Though I don't know if I want to scalp cut open every 8 years or so for an upgrade, even if it gives me super brain powers.

Realistically though, outside of people with disabilities I don't think most of us will see these things for "fun" or "cool" reasons in our lifetimes. Elon sells the idea that everyone will have access to these things within the next decade. I really doubt it.
My Signature

Online Now