Return to “General”

Remaking Limit Theory - From the ground up

Fingus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 am
I just rewatched some of the devlogs from way back, and im still surprised at how well the graphics hold up 5 years+ later. Genuinely, the UI alone still seems so ahead of other space games and it got me wondering, Why don't some of us start our own open source github attempt at recreating some of this?

If the intention was to release the source anyway, I dont see any reason why those of us who were planning on trying to fiddle with the code cant just try to come up with something on our own? Since josh seems to have disappeared, and theres no telling how long it'll be or if at all he'll return, so in the meantime theres all these technical posts on here to give us some idea how to start a new project like this surely?
How many of you would be interested in creating a project to create a game that resembles at least some of the ideas that were present in Limit Theory? We'd need to define several aspects of the project such as the scope of the game and the language which will best support the desired features.

Coders, Assemble!
Re: Remaking Limit Theory - From the ground up

I'm incredibly interested in doing so, unfortunately I'm indefinitely tied up with Astraeus.

Is the idea an open source community project, or a closed source development?
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

I'd be keen on contributing. Most of my coding expertise is in the hobbyist category with bits of java, C#, javascript, and lua. I have some experience with GameMaker, Unity, and assorted javascript libraries for 3d. I also do the 3D modeler thing and I think I could be most helpful with creating libraries of parts for procedural ship and base construction.

vector67 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:59 am
I would love to be involved, but my time is very limited.
My thoughts exactly.

I do have quite some experience with programming (used to earn my keep with this skill as a student) and can make some 3D assets. Somperhaps if there is some small, non urgent tasks to be done, they could be delegated to me and be worked on at an independantly random pace ;-)

PS: Languages - PERL, PHP, PASCAL, C, C++, FORTRAN. Is my age showing?
Currently using also VBA (at work) and javascript together with PHP (for hobby website)
Last edited by CSE on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly I'm going to be involved.

JS might be my main language, but I have lesser skills in all sorts of other languages.

Since BFett had the gumption to start this... BFett, what is thy first command!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Well I suppose we ought to define the scope of the game we want to make to prevent feature creep, and with the known features we should probably determine a programming language that will work best for the desired features. One other thing to determine before we get started would be how we want to license this project.

IMO, the most important factor for choosing a language is the Speed/Ease of Coding ratio.

If we try to build something that does what LT was originally planned to, and we'd likely have to do large swathes of it in C with custom rendering pipelines to get the performance out of it.
But if we go for something far more modest, we might be able to get away with something as easy to code (but slow) as JS.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now