Return to “General”

Re: Remaking Limit Theory - From the ground up

Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:27 pm
[*]0111narwhalz is banging together a basic 3D flight prototype, working out key concepts of rotation, translation, and control. doing what Black--Snow already did, albeit slightly differently
FTFY :ghost:
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 am
Flatfingers wrote:
[*]0111narwhalz is banging together a basic 3D flight prototype, working out key concepts of rotation, translation, and control. doing what Black--Snow already did, albeit slightly differently
Okay, I'll bite. How would you compare and contrast the two efforts and can they benefit from each other?
Last edited by zircher on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

zircher wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:04 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:15 am
i'm currently working on exploring a concept for large scale map generation
because i made a connection with a graph theoretical concept which would be useful for that >.>
Just curious, when you mean large scale, do you like a solar system with thousands of bits in it or more like a small cluster of stars?
(locations of) solar systems, clusters of solar systems, arrangements of said clusters and connectivity of it all

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
because i made a connection with a graph theoretical concept which would be useful for that >.>

Nice -- looking forward to seeing that. Just be sure to document the logic; who knows what the final form of the scripting for this thing will be?

Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 am
Flatfingers wrote:

Thank you! Corrections for appropriate credit are always welcome (and my apologies if I don't do that right to start with).

zircher wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 am
Flatfingers wrote:
As I see it (meaning that others might have a different take), here's what's actually happening at the moment...
Thanks for the summary, that kind of communication is really helpful.

My pleasure. And I'm happy to see you there in the Discord -- if there are particular features to which you're interested in contributing, I'd be interested in seeing your thoughts.

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:27 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:

Nice -- looking forward to seeing that. Just be sure to document the logic; who knows what the final form of the scripting for this thing will be?
currently working only on the logic, no code yet :)

first code will probably even be matlab/octave because it already has libaries included for that and im currently in the flow of using it from work

FormalMoss wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:39 pm
I'm taking a dive into Godot, to create a planet, space station and an asteroid field.
If I can fly between them, and have a hit box enabled to say "you're close to x", then I'm happy.
Hope I don't end up flying into the sun.. :ghost:

If there's a sun I can fly into, I will definitely fly into it just to see what happens. :D

Please keep us posted on what you think about Godot's capabilities. And if you're willing to share some code when you're ready, even better!

zircher wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:54 am
Okay, I'll bite. How would you compare and contrast the two efforts and can they benefit from each other?
Nar and I are mostly working on them for our own knowledge of Godot, but they have applications within the wider LT project.

Our prototypes differ in that he is attempting to keep the cursor (during flight) still in world space, while I built a model where the cursor's distance from the center controls the rotation velocity, and moves with the ship.

I believe he is having trouble with counter-rotating the cursor at the moment, though he might've fixed that. Still waiting for progress gifs from him smh.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Aiha wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:18 pm
Who's allowed to join the discord? I'm interested to see what's going on and to figure out if I'll be able to contribute at all, but it's intimidating enough that I worry I won't be able to. :ghost:
Sure you're more than welcome to join and take a look around. At the very least I could use the feedback and ideas on how to better design buttons, menus and other things.

Aiha wrote:
Who's allowed to join the discord? I'm interested to see what's going on and to figure out if I'll be able to contribute at all, but it's intimidating enough that I worry I won't be able to. :ghost:
You do some kind of CS course, right?

If I can contribute, I would certainly assume you would be able to. Though my self confidence might be misplaced, that's somewhat plausible. :D

zircher wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:54 am
My method involves much more swearing at the vector math and substantially less reading comprehension when examining the docs. :ghost:
(I've solved the hard parts, I think—the cursor stays put in worldspace. Now I get to work out how to move the ship to match the cursor.)

More seriously: Snow's method is velocity-based. Move the mouse and hold it steady, and the ship continues to rotate at a constant angular velocity. In contrast, my method is a positional control: move the mouse and hold it steady, and the ship will aim at a position and stop. My method differs from some other positional control schemes in that it is tolerant of sluggish ships, because the reticle moves independently from the ship itself and allows the ship to take as long as it needs to. As a bonus, off-boresight aiming (and perhaps camera motions to keep the reticle onscreen) are a natural extension of this method.

Black--Snow wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 am
Aiha wrote:
You do some kind of CS course, right?

If I can contribute, I would certainly assume you would be able to. Though my self confidence might be misplaced, that's somewhat plausible. :D
I've taken some CS courses, but I'm no longer a CS major, I'm a physics major..... :ghost:
My coding experience lately tends to be just basic scripting stuff for personal projects using Python and Lua (and HTML/CSS if that's applicable here).

Online Now