Return to “General”

Re: How much will the game cost?

Grumblesaur wrote:I think that, since Josh is a one-man game company at this point, the actual cost of the game will be lower than your average new game on release due to the fact that he doesn't have a few hundred people on his payroll.
Imagine he will have employees in the future, and that they're as bright as him... They'd create the space sim to end all space sims. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Grumblesaur wrote:I think that, since Josh is a one-man game company at this point, the actual cost of the game will be lower than your average new game on release due to the fact that he doesn't have a few hundred people on his payroll.

And it was just then you realized that EVERYONE ELSE on the forums was an employee, and you were the only real customer.

Red pill or blue pill Mr. Burbank?

I wish I had a good answer, but I honestly don't know. I imagine the price will be > $20, since $20 is supposed to be a "special" deal for KS backers, and I would like them to feel that they gained something by supporting (even if it's only a few bucks..). That being said, I think $25 - $30 would be a good target range for this kind of game? But I really have no idea.
Gazz wrote:I think it's more likely he will program employees to write games for him.
It's the next logical step in procedural generation.
Such an elegant solution. How much do I have to pay you for rights to this idea? ;)
Raytheon wrote:

And it was just then you realized that EVERYONE ELSE on the forums was an employee, and you were the only real customer.

Red pill or blue pill Mr. Burbank?
Haha but in some sense, it's already true...just look at the "Suggestions" forum, and tell me, honestly, who is the game designer here :lol:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:I wish I had a good answer, but I honestly don't know. I imagine the price will be > $20, since $20 is supposed to be a "special" deal for KS backers, and I would like them to feel that they gained something by supporting (even if it's only a few bucks..). That being said, I think $25 - $30 would be a good target range for this kind of game? But I really have no idea.
Sounds reasonable and a good price level.

I would recommend getting in contact with Steams new "Early access" program once you have run the BETA for long enough to feel comfortable of sorting out most bugs and getting a fairly stable game, then you don't have to decide when the game is "finished" but can keep on developing and sell it anyways :)

Ixos wrote:I would recommend getting in contact with Steams new "Early access" program once you have run the BETA for long enough to feel comfortable of sorting out most bugs and getting a fairly stable game, then you don't have to decide when the game is "finished" but can keep on developing and sell it anyways :)
Yes, please!
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

JoshParnell wrote:I wish I had a good answer, but I honestly don't know. I imagine the price will be > $20, since $20 is supposed to be a "special" deal for KS backers, and I would like them to feel that they gained something by supporting (even if it's only a few bucks..). That being said, I think $25 - $30 would be a good target range for this kind of game? But I really have no idea.
Josh, after following your Dev Logs for such a long time, I think that nothing even comes close to "this kind of game", and really $30 is an amazing price for Limit Theory, honestly I wouldn't mind paying even more for this, it's an amazing concept and so far you seem to be doing a really good job executing that concept.
Ixos wrote:I would recommend getting in contact with Steams new "Early access" program once you have run the BETA for long enough to feel comfortable of sorting out most bugs and getting a fairly stable game, then you don't have to decide when the game is "finished" but can keep on developing and sell it anyways :)
That idea is awesome, though there is one drawback... I've noticed some people tend to avoid that "Early Access" section of Steam because of well, the fear they're going to end up getting a product that is still barely developed at all... *cough* Starforge *cough* (Not to say that Starforge is bad or anything... But I've seen so many rants in the discussion thread for that game on Steam.)

Online Now