Return to “General”

Re: How much will the game cost?

CoriW wrote: That idea is awesome, though there is one drawback... I've noticed some people tend to avoid that "Early Access" section of Steam because of well, the fear they're going to end up getting a product that is still barely developed at all... *cough* Starforge *cough* (Not to say that Starforge is bad or anything... But I've seen so many rants in the discussion thread for that game on Steam.)
Dammit I bought that game and it's still not playable. Agahagh

MyNameWuzTaken wrote:
CoriW wrote: That idea is awesome, though there is one drawback... I've noticed some people tend to avoid that "Early Access" section of Steam because of well, the fear they're going to end up getting a product that is still barely developed at all... *cough* Starforge *cough* (Not to say that Starforge is bad or anything... But I've seen so many rants in the discussion thread for that game on Steam.)
Dammit I bought that game and it's still not playable. Agahagh
The developer ran out of money and had to fire his team. It might get a couple more basic bug fixing patches, but it's basically been abandoned.

It's the dark side of early access.
My Signature

Early access is beginning to have a stigma associated with it, but I think we're past the stage where early access is being spammed by slow developers. Could be wrong though.

I don't like early access, but the games that end up releasing through it, and which can be truly considered complete, tend to be quite good - eg the Endless games, Starpoint Gemini 2, possibly Sunless Sea when it's done~

Josh would have to show that the game is nearly complete and worth supporting through early access. But he would imo gain very little from it, since a) he's in no need of funds prior to release, and b) it would be unfair to the beta backers.

Scytale wrote:
Josh would have to show that the game is nearly complete and worth supporting through early access. But he would imo gain very little from it, since a) he's in no need of funds prior to release, and b) it would be unfair to the beta backers.
It would be fair if they got access to the game before everyone else. (say three months or so)

I don't want to speculate too much on whether or not LT is going to have another delay and get pushed ahead again. The last time it was delayed most of us here sort of already knew it was going to be. Currently I'm not sure. Josh has become way more secretive now, making it much more difficult to gage.

However, if it's looks like Josh needs to delay the game again, perhaps open access MAY be an option. I know Josh is not a big fan, but if the game ends up being MOSTLY done, but the last 10% ends up taking an extra year, maybe it's a bone to throw at the non-backer fans?

Plus it is extra money for Josh. Perhaps he doesn't "need" it, but I say let him have some extra cash for his hard work.
My Signature

I get your meaning. But given the sort of update we saw yesterday, I like to think that if there's a delay, it's not going to take an extra year - LTSL should live up to its hype! ...hopefully

Good point about the backers. The backing level doesn't promise exclusive early access, only first early access.

Scytale wrote:I get your meaning. But given the sort of update we saw yesterday, I like to think that if there's a delay, it's not going to take an extra year - LTSL should live up to its hype! ...hopefully

Good point about the backers. The backing level doesn't promise exclusive early access, only first early access.
No offense to anyone but last update didn't give me any sort of idea on how much time or how fast limit theory will be done.

Yes, Josh showed how fast stuff CAN be added with LTSL. He didn't show a ton of stuff actually DONE by LTSL or any other means. The new menus were great and all, but how much was actually new in the last update?

I still hope that this was only because there was a bunch of stuff done, but not ready to be shown, or being withheld for what ever reason. (the video did sort of say as much..)

However, it's all speculation as to how much is really done. Again, it goes back to the new secretive Josh. (who probably has good reason, but the effect is the same regardless)

Edit: to clarify, Josh has been more open about LT than most games being developed. I just mean to say he has been less open with certain aspects now that he was earlier.
My Signature

Early access really does have a bad name now, as do early beta releases and god forbid, alpha releases *cough*. It seems to me that it's really just a money grab- even if they don't intend it that way, what happens is by the time they would have finished the hype would be gone, it would be old news, no-one would even buy the full version, and they basically sell you half a game and stop developing about in the middle when they realise sales are going down. I know LT probably won't go that way, but it's probably better to avoid the stigma of early access.

Online Now