Return to “General”

A Limit Theory

Hello everyone.

I first heard about Limit Theory back in 2014-2015 from a particular fellow on the YouTube. Since then I'd periodically checked in on the progress of Limit Theory; today I saw the announcement of "The End."

I'd seen the progression of updates and the gradual progression to the current state of things; I was saddened to find out that LT as a game won't see the proper light of day for quite sometime. Comparing some of the first few kickstarter posts to the last; clearly a heart had been torn asunder. I sincerely wish Josh the best in his life and pray he will have some deep realizations about life following this chrysallis stage (lo, the catipiller is hardly comfortable in the shell).

Still, I get a deep sense that the real Limit Theory has nothing to do with any game, or any project any of us may try to manifest. A lot can happen to a person in the course of 4-5 years, I know my life has been all over the place.

I find my self asking: what is a limit? What is a Theory?
Limit: mathematics,
a point or value that a sequence, function, or sum of a series can be made to approach progressively, until it is as close to the point or value as desired; or more succinctly: a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass.

Theory, mathematics
a collection of propositions to illustrate the principles of a subject.

Forsooth! It is my realization that each and every individual is of limited capability, and seemingly limitless desire and or ambition. Still, it is our nature to want to tackle our limits, perservere, and grow, but no matter how much we try, on our own we still ultimately have a limit. I recall an ancient conversation between a great teacher and his student: "We all have the right to perform our work, but never to the results of such work."

Upon relfection, I see this Limit Theory as a microcosm of so many things - in my own life at least - in the past, the present, and surely teh future where I may take to something with joy, passion, nobility, purity, and courage (cour being Latin for heart, thus: with whole heart) only to realize my own limitations after much grief and tumult. The only solution I can offer, then, is to simply look inward and attempt to trace the source in a submissive way, let go, and molt.

So the question I'd like to ask any of the other rogue spacemen who may happen upon this post:
What course do we take when we encounter a serires of events meant to illustrate our own limitations?
We run endless experiments always to the same conclusion, so what do we make of the data?

See you around this blue space rock we call home,
Sid.

Online Now