Return to “General”

Re: I'm done

Hadean Lands is an Interactive Fiction game (a parser game) developed for Andrew Plotkin funded through Kickstarter in 2010. It is a text adventure, so there is no need to worry about rendering, models, performance, procedural generation, and all that stuff. The goal was to release it in six months or a bit more. The game was released four years later and received popular acclaim and praise.

It took three years and a half to Jonathan Blow to complete Braid, a 2D puzzle game, and his next game, The Witness, took seven.

Welcome to game development.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

The only reason I am still active on the forums is because of the people at the moment :ghost: If there is a game update, I will know pretty fast. Will I be excited? Heck ya! Will I sit here everyday and wait for word on LT? Nope. I play other games, I go camping, drinking with friends, and other things and just check my email for any updates. I know many zealous followers do other things in their free time besides sit and wait for an LT update...but we all await it eagerly :) Will LT release someday? Sure. Will it be soon? Who knows? Will it be awesome? It sure will!
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

reasonable is that josh give the explanations clear and play a fair play with the backers .... but in this point josh is no clear ....for me is dishonest this position ....we dont know about this project a several months ago ...and Josh in kickstarter dont give information to the backers since september 2015 ...this is the point ....don´t try to put josh in a better position a lot of people work alone on the projects but are more clear with his work ...he takes our money and is working behind the curtain ...
Last edited by WASAVA on Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

The point is be clear with this process of development ....this is the point ....and Josh in this have many fails ...since 2 years ago really the backers dont know how this project is going ....and another problem is that josh dont give a clear explanations about this process

ramjet wrote:I just read the o.p., but... seems kind of strange that you have no skin in the game, but are speaking on behalf of those who actually do have skin in the game.
Yeah, I noticed that too but didn't bother mentioning it because I doubted it would help matters. WASAVA and some others have a legitimate reason to be upset anyway. Not that I doubt Josh is working on the project - I know he is - but it would be helpful if he dropped us a few crumbs every now and then.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
ramjet wrote:I just read the o.p., but... seems kind of strange that you have no skin in the game, but are speaking on behalf of those who actually do have skin in the game.
Yeah, I noticed that too but didn't bother mentioning it because I doubted it would help matters. WASAVA and some others have a legitimate reason to be upset anyway. Not that I doubt Josh is working on the project - I know he is - but it would be helpful if he dropped us a few crumbs every now and then.
Josh cannot drop crumbs. He either dumps the whole bread truck or nothing at all. ;)

I get why some people might get frustrated. As as outside person it's hard to understand why Josh can't just take a couple screen shots or a quick low production video capture every once in a while.

I and many of us here understand Josh's brain. It's just not how it's wired. For me, I figured it out during the years of (sometimes) circular development and (sometimes) working on.. questionable things that didn't bring the game closer to beta. It's all ok. I know it must sound like I am using kid gloves when I feel the need to say it each time, but I'm not harping on Josh when I say this.

He claims to be aware of his issues and has a good support structure now to prevent him from falling into previous traps. Does he really or just believe he does? I don't know. I expect no one here really knows other than the people who are actually know him outside of IRC and message boards.
My Signature

BFett wrote:Would you please for once, spell my name correctly. It's BFett, Fett with two t's not two e's.
You are not feet? :o My life is a lie! :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Zanteogo wrote:
Talvieno wrote:
Josh cannot drop crumbs. He either dumps the whole bread truck or nothing at all. ;)

I get why some people might get frustrated. As as outside person it's hard to understand why Josh can't just take a couple screen shots or a quick low production video capture every once in a while.

I and many of us here understand Josh's brain. It's just not how it's wired. For me, I figured it out during the years of (sometimes) circular development and (sometimes) working on.. questionable things that didn't bring the game closer to beta. It's all ok. I know it must sound like I am using kid gloves when I feel the need to say it each time, but I'm not harping on Josh when I say this.

He claims to be aware of his issues and has a good support structure now to prevent him from falling into previous traps. Does he really or just believe he does? I don't know. I expect no one here really knows other than the people who are actually know him outside of IRC and message boards.
I finally "get you" Zant.
I now understand your previous rants when attempting to understand the mindset of Josh and requesting the overall "plan of action".
yum yum yum
I can sleep well tonight, ty :)

:wave:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Some people underestimates how difficult and time consuming posting updates -any update- is, even if you want to satisfy people's whims. Besides, in my own opinion that game design, good game design, is all about iteration, no plans. It's good to have plans, but plans will not give you a great game. If you want to work fast sure, make plans and stick to them, but if you want to make not just a good game but a great one is highly possible that you will need to iterate many of your ideas, discarding stuff that doesn't work well even if it took a lot of time to make, and re-starting certain parts of it over and over again. Only through repetition can you really achieve perfection.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Here is the thing. If Josh really wanted to string us along and make us believe there was a game being developed that could never be finished. He could have easily just continued to mess with the older version of LT he worked on before the silence, post a "NEW VIDEO!!!11!" every month and simply sat back and laughed.

He has not done that. And he has not simply vanished from the internet. That should tell you that at the very least. He still has big goals for the game despite the extended development timeline.

The thing about updates is who are they for? Us? We have already purchased or plan to purchase LT the moment we are able to. Updates do little on that front. And updates will do nothing to help the outside perception that LT is vaporware. Only a beta played by someone other than Josh can do that.

Updates are pointless right now. He is either going to deliver LT to the market. Or he is not. He can still fail to deliver LT after showing off fancy screenshots. Only the beta counts at this point.

Online Now