Return to “General”

Regarding the last day of Dev Log Week

Hi all/Josh,

I love reading the Dev Logs, it's always nice to see what happens in a day of a Game Developer.

I realize that you are basically working a full-time job with the development of this game, but you seem to only work on Limit Theory and have no "you" time.

Now I know you don't record your "you" time on the dev logs, but the line you wrote at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=479 "Even though I feel like I'm just waking up, coding, eating lunch, coding, eating dinner, coding, sleeping, and repeating..." kind of makes me feel you don't have any time to relax.

I think we'd all like to know your still living and not some C++ robot with a sense of humour.
Re: Regarding the last day of Dev Log Week

I second this concern. Since this is a long term project, you have to consider how eating/sleeping/exercise/socializing/relaxing/working behavior is going to effect you in the long run. I don't say this as a 'customer' awaiting a product, but as a fellow programmer and human being: take care of you body and mind and you will get more done in fewer hours. I am sure most of my fellow forum goers would agree that while this game is exciting and is like a dream coming true, we don't want you to wreck yourself in the process of realizing the dream.

Hey Hurracane,

I appreciate your concern! But rest assured, I do slip in the occasional episode of Star Trek, walk, or coffee break to keep myself diverse ( :roll: ). But really, I do seriously enjoy working on the game, so, as I've said before, it's not really work. In fact, one might even call it "me" time :)

I guess I made the routine sound a bit boring in that post...that wasn't my point though. My point was that I'm not sure how to increase efficiency. But I am having a great deal of fun, and I certainly don't feel like just a witty C++ bot, although, to be honest, I'm not sure that being a witty C++ robot would be such a bad thing ;)

So yes, as far as I am aware, I'm still very much living, and not in danger of any kind of burnout or life imbalance.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I'm in complete agreement with everything in this thread. I've seen my fair share of game developers that work for free get really tired of a thing and then see it as some sort of obligation, then get burned out and stop completely and retire, occasionally with no replacement.

So I'm really glad to hear that you enjoy doing what you do. Brings a certain warmth to the environs. If you ever need to take a break, please don't feel obligated to reconsider. You come first. Without us, there would be no funding, but without you, there would be no Limit Theory to fund.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

The updates have been brilliant. This is the only kickstarted game i have high hopes for anymore. Most of the other games i supported through kickstarter updated all the time when raising money, but after the campaign was done they go months without giving news.

Makes a supporter actually feel like the game isn't just about making money, but making a good product.

Online Now