Return to “General”

Re: Game play on tablets.

Ringu wrote: This is the interesting part, I think. You seem to be supporting GPUs from a few years ago, and that seems to correspond with roughly where the iPad is at today.
Ipad air 2 gpu (PowerVR GX6650): ~230 GFLOPS.
My 5 year old mid range amd 6870: ~2000 GFLOPS

Please, get your numbers straight.
Even if we give the ipad a factor 2-3 in terms of "non-sucky drivers" thats still somewhere between 3-5 times less performance than my horrendously outdated GPU.

Dinosawer wrote:The fact that a certain studio failed to do something doesn't mean it's impossible :ghost:
Yet extremely difficult. Egosoft had an entire team working on the issue for half a decade and they could cram the buttons full of things. Yet still managed to deliver an awful experience.

Of course Theoretically Josh could just do a straight port and expect users to figure out how to use a touchscreen device like a full blown desktop PC. Yet it will look horrible on such low end graphical hardware. And will be so hard to interact with unless you hook up an external controller... That leads to horrible reviews that can backfire on the PC version as well.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Ringu wrote: This is the interesting part, I think. You seem to be supporting GPUs from a few years ago, and that seems to correspond with roughly where the iPad is at today.
Ipad air 2 gpu (PowerVR GX6650): ~230 GFLOPS.
My 5 year old mid range amd 6870: ~2000 GFLOPS

Please, get your numbers straight.
Even if we give the ipad a factor 2-3 in terms of "non-sucky drivers" thats still somewhere between 3-5 times less performance than my horrendously outdated GPU.
Well, a) you're wrong, and b) you're misleading even when you're right.

According to the FAQ, LT is anticipated to run on a gfx card from around 2009; your 6870 was released around October in 2010 so I think we're more talking about something like a Radeon 4850 according to Anand (still a 1 TFLOP piece of hardware).

Second, the iPad Air 2 came out about a year ago, so you're closing the gap even more.

Third, it's not a GX6650, as Anand discovered it's more like 2x GX6450's since it's using a private Apple design with 8 clusters and who knows what other changes; about 300 GFLOPS.

Fourth, both these GPU's support DX10 (although the Radeon is 10.1) level abilities.

The other factors you refer to (also including a newer API that's more like DirectX) make the performance comparable, especially as I said if various things are tweaked.
--
Mind The Gap

Tablets doesn't just mean an iPad these days. The Surface Pro 4 already comes with i7 chips and the top end has "reasonably" beefy graphics power. I bet you could run LT at a lower resolution (than native, which is getting towards 4k) and lower detail.

Of course, you'd still need a mouse or some other control mechanism - I don't see touch being part of the equation.

mcsven wrote:Tablets doesn't just mean an iPad these days. The Surface Pro 4 already comes with i7 chips and the top end has "reasonably" beefy graphics power. I bet you could run LT at a lower resolution (than native, which is getting towards 4k) and lower detail.

Of course, you'd still need a mouse or some other control mechanism - I don't see touch being part of the equation.
That's pretty much what I said. I don't think Ipads are viable but other tablets may well be.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Ozzieorl wrote:It certainly seems that I will NOT be able to pay LT, on my iPad when it is released. Which is sad for me, but I am the one who decided to do without the desktop.

I hope Josh can give my copy of the game, when it is released, to some worthy cause/person.

Ozzie
It'll take awhile, buy a laptop :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

JoshParnell wrote: Currently the only libraries used are FMOD and SDL (physics is in-house). For networking I will throw in enet, and for some ancillary stuff I may add some of the very common open-source libs like libjpeg, zlib, etc.
Wait, what, networking?

Did I miss an announcement about multiplayer? Because that would be the one thing that comes to mind with a need for networking. Simply loading and saving the game should only require filesystem access :think:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Rabiator wrote: Wait, what, networking?

Did I miss an announcement about multiplayer? Because that would be the one thing that comes to mind with a need for networking. Simply loading and saving the game should only require filesystem access :think:
No multiplayer, but networking.
Because he can.
Because networking is required if we want to do awesome things, like patching live. :V
Or modding multiplayer in.

Josh understands this, and likely added the networking in when he was experimenting to see if he could be bothered sorting out multiplayer for first pass or not.

Luckily for us, this means some intelligence, balls, and code will give us multiplayer!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now