Return to “General”

Re: Game play on tablets.

I doubt this is possible on IPad, to be honest. I-devices are absolute shit compared to other brands of tablets and phones, they skimp out on tech and raise the price just because they can.
The hardware just won't cope IMO.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

AbhChallenger wrote:The last thing that needs to happen is LT falling into the X Rebirth trap. Dumbing down features and interface to force it onto a platform it was never designed to be run on.
I would hate that too, however it is perfectly possible to keep all the features provided the hardware is good enough, you just need to tweak interface and controls is all.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Victor Tombs wrote::problem: :eh: :wtf: Why would anyone want to play Limit Theory on anything less than a PC with a decent GPU?

Surely the true beauty of LT space and all the accompanying bling can only be appreciated in such a manner. :?
Because a desktop is hard to take on the train, and it would mean you can play LT ALL THE TIME :mrgreen:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Get a surface or something similar :V
I'd rather get a gaming laptop than a tablet that costs as much as one, thank you :P
Although I have been tempted by the cheaper class of windows tablets as go-to laptop replacement that you can program on, but money :ghost:
Victor Tombs wrote: :lol: Yes, there is that, Dinosawer, but I've never experienced playing video games on a train.

It sounds awful! *chuckle*
Given the fact that the 'train' part is not negotiable it's better than no videogames on the train :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:Given the fact that the 'train' part is not negotiable it's better than no videogames on the train :ghost:
I see your logic but surely you can't really appreciate such an awesome game in those surroundings? It would be near impossible on some of the train lines in the UK. The best I've managed is listening to audiobooks or music. I can't read actual books due to motion sickness. :)

Although I should add that I haven't used public transport for many years now. So perhaps things have improved both with my sickness and the train experience. :angel:

Silverware wrote:
AbhChallenger wrote:The last thing that needs to happen is LT falling into the X Rebirth trap. Dumbing down features and interface to force it onto a platform it was never designed to be run on.
I would hate that too, however it is perfectly possible to keep all the features provided the hardware is good enough, you just need to tweak interface and controls is all.
That is what Egosoft thought when they started X-Rebirth. And they had a controller with a good amount of buttons to work with.

Black--Snow wrote:I doubt this is possible on IPad, to be honest. I-devices are absolute shit compared to other brands of tablets and phones, they skimp out on tech and raise the price just because they can.
The hardware just won't cope IMO.
Recent iPads use close-to-desktop-class CPUs, and the GPUs are good enough for things like Infinity Blade (running on the Unreal 4 engine), and Grand Theft Auto - the hardware can cope, believe me.
Honestly, I can't take your opinion seriously if you believe that iPads are "absolute shit" compared to "other brands"; you may not like them or Apple or iOS or stable App Stores, and there are many things that you may not have experienced first hand, but my experience of them is a very capable piece of kit.
--
Mind The Gap

JoshParnell wrote:I'd be much more concerned about the graphics capabilites of the tablet than the ability to port over.
That was exactly what I meant when I said the procedural graphics would need to be written from the ground up.
Without knowing if you've used custom shaders for example, and not having any experience with the Metal API (that Frontier are now blaming for the inability to port their planetary landing expansion to E:D on) I just figure it's probably sufficiently different that it would need re-writing.

The latest iPads do have considerable graphical ability though, with access to some very low level APIs and things like Unreal Engine 4 running well, demonstrating a great deal of power.
Input control would have to be re-written (I have no idea how multi-touch devices look like from an API standpoint)
We can access every action a mouse can take, as well as more direct inputs so choosing what you'd want is probably the hardest part.
We would have to cross-compile to ARM (not sure what kind of challenges, if any, would pop up here).
Assuming you haven't used any specific compiler extensions this should be minimally difficult - we support C/C++ 11 directly in Clang so once we've coded a handful of lines to create the viewport we'd be good to go.
But LT needs a desktop-grade GPU, simply-put. Not Star-Citizen grade top-notch GPU, but I strongly doubt that a tablet is going to be able to handle LT, especially the procedural asset generation.
This is the interesting part, I think. You seem to be supporting GPUs from a few years ago, and that seems to correspond with roughly where the iPad is at today. Even if some items need to be turned down graphically I think you can see enough currently running apps to see that it should be do-able.
Long answer: let's talk again once we've got LT released and running on desktops :ghost:
Heh. I don't think even the most deluded of us would expect anything else - we're just filling time while sending our prayers and best wishes your way :-)
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now