Return to “General”

Re: High speed travel

Katawa wrote: That is only true if their reaction times were FTL
A weapon capable of firing something at/near the speed of light would travel as fast or faster than the information that it had been fired.
That would be true if ships were standing still, but in a battle scenario ships move and fire at the same time. You see your target *here*, but by the time you see it it is in fact *over there*, as your sensor data and laser shots are speedlight at best. Of course, you can lead your shots, but your targets would expect that and move unpredictably. So a battle at distances measurable in light minutes or light seconds would consist of missed shots...

Ok the point of my post is just that i really don't like having engines constantly turned on when speed is constant. Same for cruise mode.
I do believe that there should be limits for each ships mainly for AI pathing and making the universe a safer place (imagine lightspeed collision).
Another thing i don't like is that it makes obsolete warplanes, i really like those.

We could say that warplanes are places where ship can go as fast as they want

Agreed there on the missed shots.

ninja'd:
Ownez wrote:Ok the point of my post is just that i really don't like having engines constantly turned on when speed is constant. Same for cruise mode.
I do believe that there should be limits for each ships mainly for AI pathing and making the universe a safer place (imagine lightspeed collision).
Another thing i don't like is that it makes obsolete warplanes, i really like those.

We could say that warplanes are places where ship can go as fast as they want
Warplanes make you go faster than your ship's maximum speed.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Well it is good to not make a fool of yourself as you first emerge from the primordial ooze.

On the topic of the post, while it is theoretically possible for two objects of differing mass to travel at the same top speed in space the logistics required to push an object that is 100x as big as another object to the same speed is not really feasible in the confines of a spacecraft.

While fuel is not implemented in the game currently (to my knowledge). In an abstract way it kind of is. Hear me out on this. While the ship can theoretically boost infinitely (and visually does when moving forward) the top speed in the game can be thought of as a realistic travel maximum at which the ship is approaching its bearable fuel efficiency based on mass and available fuel on board.

the thing is, once you acheive the speed you want there is no fuel needed exept to change course. There is no drag in space.

As i said before I DO love the current mechanics of the game, i DO NOT want it to change.
I expect ships to have a max speed depending on accelleration for safety reasons.

What i would like to see implemented in the game is just a different visual effect for the engines. They would be on while the ship accelerates and off when at a constant speed.

Naxtor wrote:I can agree with that. Though I wonder if there is something inherently less exciting about not seeing fire coming out the back of your ship.
Yes there is. EVE Online (and I assume most other space games) show the thrusters as being active even if the ship is maintaining a constant velocity.

This wouldn't be a problem if we assumed a non-Newtonian propulsion system (or that space produces drag).

Naxtor wrote:I can agree with that. Though I wonder if there is something inherently less exciting about not seeing fire coming out the back of your ship.

I do agree that it is realistic.
It'll always be in the back of your mind that LT space has drag, and therefore you'll expect to see active thrusters at all time.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now