Return to “General”

Re: THE May, 2014 Devlog Discussion

Hyperion wrote:I hope its uploaded before Monday morning, The itch of knowing it's up while I am at work and can't watch it would drive me crazy.
it's strange how Josh can dash my hopes against the rocks, but because he can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I not only don't care, but am even more excited! :think: :shifty: :D
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

He's a big boy ya know. I am sure that if he feels his code quality is slipping or he can't keep himself going, he will take a power nap and maybe even a full sleep. He has shown remarkable time management skills and self control, I am confident he can do so here too.

However http://www.businessinsider.com/what-pul ... 012-9?op=1

*notices the Adderall at the bottom... * :think:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

It's not the miracle wonder drug you think it is, and actually has a very negative effect on people who don't need it. I know because I take it myself (I have severe ADHD), and have seen people use it who didn't need it. For me, it balances out the chemicals in my brain: it calms me down and keeps me focused where I'm incapable of focusing otherwise. It also keeps me from falling asleep. For people who don't really need it, it imbalances the brain, and while it does keep them from falling asleep, it makes them jittery, shaky, and unable to hold still or concentrate on a single task for any length of time. I'm very confident that a person on it, if they didn't need it, would actually get less work done than they would otherwise. Not that we're talking about that of course... It's all hypothetical... :shifty:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:It's not the miracle wonder drug you think it is, and actually has a very negative effect on people who don't need it. I know because I take it myself (I have severe ADHD), and have seen people use it who didn't need it. For me, it balances out the chemicals in my brain: it calms me down and keeps me focused where I'm incapable of focusing otherwise. It also keeps me from falling asleep. For people who don't really need it, it imbalances the brain, and while it does keep them from falling asleep, it makes them jittery, shaky, and unable to hold still. I'm very confident that a person on it, if they didn't need it, would actually get less work done than they would otherwise. Not that we're talking about that of course... It's all hypothetical... :shifty:
Image i hope you dont feel insulted by this :silent:

Luckily, Josh is still young enough where staying up unhealthy hours won't kill him. Heck, he's younger than me :problem: and the younger the body is, the more it is able to recover from doing things...such as drinking insane amounts of alcohol, injuries, childbirth (for the ladies), etc. Now, if he was like in his 40s or 50s and trying this...I think he would never be able to do it for starters...but this is something he loves and enjoys doing, therefore I think none of us have to worry that he is doing this only for us. He is one of the few people I know who go absolutely insane for stuff like this and HATE to be cut short when having a breakthrough on something they enjoy doing.

And remember...
Image Luckily, I still have 3 of mine! I will donate one to Josh's crusade of video gaming!
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Just for fun, I took a look back at what Josh was doing for Limit Theory 1.0 a year ago:
  • Implemented universe connectivity generation
  • Implemented jump gates
  • Started on porting to linux
  • Cleansed the village of Framebuffer
  • Upgraded to a significantly more powerful audio engine (irrKlang -> FMOD)
We take a lot for granted. But everything you see in a game had to be imagined and realized by someone. Even if it's random/procedural, someone had to design those algorithms and implement them as working code.

Whenever you're feeling disappointed that something you're interested in probably won't be part of LT 1.0, it might be worthwhile to re-read some of Josh's older devlogs and see just how much productive effort he's put into it already. (Advice I should take, too.)

I've never known anybody else who puts quite so much effort into their work. It's inspiring, really. It's also a little shaming at the same time, because I doubt any of us have that same drive that Mr. Parnell has.

Whatever Limit Theory becomes, I know I will enjoy it. It's handcrafted from the ground up, even if everything is procedural, with so much love, care, and effort that it's astounding to see if you draw back and look at the bigger picture for a moment.

Honestly, I'll be happy with whatever update the Master Coder gives us, dogfights or no. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I've never known anybody else who puts quite so much effort into their work. It's inspiring, really. It's also a little shaming at the same time, because I doubt any of us have that same drive that Mr. Parnell has.

Whatever Limit Theory becomes, I know I will enjoy it. It's handcrafted from the ground up, even if everything is procedural, with so much love, care, and effort that it's astounding to see if you draw back and look at the bigger picture for a moment.

Honestly, I'll be happy with whatever update the Master Coder gives us, dogfights or no. :D
My thoughts exactly! I don't like to talk much about this or that feature, which I may or may not want to be in the game. Whatever Josh bring into this world is more than enough for me. Besides: if you have little to no expectations, your chances of being dissapointed are between 0 and nothing.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:Besides: if you have little to no expectations, your chances of being dissapointed are between 0 and nothing.
I know for a fact Mr. Parnell won't disappoint us. He's already gone above and beyond everyone's expectations. Even better, he's a gamer himself, so he knows what a good time is.

Online Now