Return to “General”

Re: THE May, 2014 Devlog Discussion

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Talvieno wrote: No, I mean if the ship is out of view and all you have to go by is the projectile flitting across your screen. We're not going to have time to constantly consult our maps during a fight, but putting a frame around every weapon projectile is overkill to the extremes.
basing weapon color around who is firing it is really gamey, i'm pretty against it
This was glaring and wrong in the Star Wolves series, but with engine trails. Rather than colouring them by faction, such as in Homeworld (which also barely makes sense, but is at least visually consistent in design terms), they were green for your own ships, yellow for neutral ships, and red for hostile factions.
Utterly gamey and immersion-breaking.

I'm happy with the ship icons, which stick to the nearest edge of the screen when the ship is off-camera, being coloured as a function of the HUD. This is notable in April's update around 13:11. Josh's newly-pilfered ship almost immediately goes offscreen, but its icon is distinctive. A few seconds later you'll start seeing pirate blips showing up on the screen edge, too. With this system it's easy to see a ship's alignment, even if they're behind you.
I'd argue for a toggle between basic alignment (customisable or hue-shifted based on current HUD colour scheme, even) and each faction using a particular colour, as it gives an extra layer of immersion/RP potential.
Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
Man...I feel like I just need...a day with a few hundred hours in it :D And then the game will be finished!!! :roll: Ok, maybe a bit ambitious. But seriously, I've got that feeling of mostly just lots of easy, small implementation left to do.
a few hundred hours at 8 a day is.. late June! even with problems and daring to take a few days off, that still might make the mid 2014 date! :thumbup: :D
Sometimes* I get walloped by LT cravings so fierce that I'm momentarily disoriented and nauseated. :sick:

Saying "And then the game will be finished!!!" is almost a cruel tease. :(

*Sometimes = daily
Right there with you. That bait-and-switch at the start of April update was equally cruel.

ColdSpiral wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Talvieno wrote: No, I mean if the ship is out of view and all you have to go by is the projectile flitting across your screen. We're not going to have time to constantly consult our maps during a fight, but putting a frame around every weapon projectile is overkill to the extremes.
basing weapon color around who is firing it is really gamey, i'm pretty against it
This was glaring and wrong in the Star Wolves series, but with engine trails. Rather than colouring them by faction, such as in Homeworld (which also barely makes sense, but is at least visually consistent in design terms), they were green for your own ships, yellow for neutral ships, and red for hostile factions.
Utterly gamey and immersion-breaking.

I'm happy with the ship icons, which stick to the nearest edge of the screen when the ship is off-camera, being coloured as a function of the HUD. This is notable in April's update around 13:11. Josh's newly-pilfered ship almost immediately goes offscreen, but its icon is distinctive. A few seconds later you'll start seeing pirate blips showing up on the screen edge, too. With this system it's easy to see a ship's alignment, even if they're behind you.
I'd argue for a toggle between basic alignment (customisable or hue-shifted based on current HUD colour scheme, even) and each faction using a particular colour, as it gives an extra layer of immersion/RP potential.
i actually did not find it immersion breaking in star wolves.
i just thought of it as a function of my control interface, not as an 1:1 view of the world.
a function to make it easier for me to discern factions.
like the blue clamps around cargo containers.
as long as i can switch it of (for example by leaving "combat mode") it would be an pretty useful feature for LT

CommanderDJ wrote:Regarding the latest dev log, I feel like Josh is now reaping the rewards from his "over-engineering" approach that he's mentioned before. I gotta say, the excitement is tangible.
Excitement, yes. But also likely disappointment for some of us, as Josh is reaching the stage where he needs to commit to a single particular implementation of many of LT's proposed mechanics, with the consequence that anyone who proposed a different implementation for that mechanic will see their designs collapse to rubble. Unless they make it for LT2. :ghost:

ThymineC wrote:
CommanderDJ wrote:Regarding the latest dev log, I feel like Josh is now reaping the rewards from his "over-engineering" approach that he's mentioned before. I gotta say, the excitement is tangible.
Excitement, yes. But also likely disappointment for some of us, as Josh is reaching the stage where he needs to commit to a single particular implementation of many of LT's proposed mechanics, with the consequence that anyone who proposed a different implementation for that mechanic will see their designs collapse to rubble. Unless they make it for LT2. :ghost:
As someone who is "newer" to LT, I have to say it's funny how often the idea of LT2 is brought up, "or Josh's next project".
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote: As someone who is "newer" to LT, I have to say it's funny how often the idea of LT2 is brought up, "or Josh's next project".
Agreed. However he has already hinted that a later sequel is the way he wants to go. Rather than endlessly updating the original with post-release content, I suspect there will only be a few updates. Josh is currently focused on delivering the game he promised back in the kickstarter, and though he has had and come across numerous ideas during development that he would probably love to include, there is simply no way he could do so and still meet the deadline he has set himself. So you have the game he promised, and the game he really really wants... or at least, yet another step towards it, with even more lessons to learn for LT 3, 4, or however many he cares to go through until he goes and codes himself into blasphemy and creates a multiverse indistinguishable from our own, but better. :ghost:

He has also said several times how working so much on development has put the rest of his life on hold, so I suspect after release, he will make sure his baby stays flying, but after a little bit I suspect the training wheels will come off and he will once again turn towards completing his education and enjoying life with his newfound pile of money. LT may be released in a few months, and I would imagine updates popping up throughout the rest of the year, LT 2 probably has an ETA of 2020 though. :roll:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Zanteogo wrote: As someone who is "newer" to LT, I have to say it's funny how often the idea of LT2 is brought up, "or Josh's next project".
Agreed. However he has already hinted that a later sequel is the way he wants to go. Rather than endlessly updating the original with post-release content, I suspect there will only be a few updates. Josh is currently focused on delivering the game he promised back in the kickstarter, and though he has had and come across numerous ideas during development that he would probably love to include, there is simply no way he could do so and still meet the deadline he has set himself. So you have the game he promised, and the game he really really wants... or at least, yet another step towards it, with even more lessons to learn for LT 3, 4, or however many he cares to go through until he goes and codes himself into blasphemy and creates a multiverse indistinguishable from our own, but better. :ghost:

He has also said several times how working so much on development has put the rest of his life on hold, so I suspect after release, he will make sure his baby stays flying, but after a little bit I suspect the training wheels will come off and he will once again turn towards completing his education and enjoying life with his newfound pile of money. LT may be released in a few months, and I would imagine updates popping up throughout the rest of the year, LT 2 probably has an ETA of 2020 though. :roll:
Well... to discuss what they want to do for the NEXT game, while they are still working on the CURRENT game runs the risk of creating the illusion that the current game will be released "unfinished" and never get full support before moving on to the next. (Check out Stardrive for a prime example of this)

I understand the history of this game and that Josh's game has to reflect what he promised during the kickstarter and that he is itching to do a game 100% "his way" down the road.

I also believe the Limit Theory will be a great game, based off what I have read and have seen. There is a bit of strangeness to the amount of discussion that goes on about games to be done after LT, when LT is at best 80% done. (from what I gather anyways)
My Signature

It's psychological in nature. All of us have poured a lot of thought into suggesting what we want Limit Theory to be, and, in our own way, helping shape it through our suggestions. Because we know, deep down, that we're going to have to compromise in the end, we shift it partially onto the idea of LT2, in the stream of thought that "there's always LT2". At the same time, you can see how excited we are for Limit Theory, because no matter how close it is to our individual visions, we'll be happy with it. When it comes down to it, that's all it really is: excitement. If we weren't satisfied with how Limit Theory One was going, we would never think of the sequel.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. Really, Josh isn't the type of person to leave something half-finished, from what I can tell - at least, not a project of this magnitude. He'll follow through. If we ever need patches or bugfixes, he'll supply them.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Mered4 wrote:I'm starting to notice that each dev log is being pushed farther into the morning than each previous log....

There might even be an exponential function that describes this event. Starting since he last reset his *time*.....

Last one was at 0422. I'm predicting 4:55.
Not actually. All times GMT:
6:46
5:54
8:09
8:49
8:56
10:24
10:22
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Josh's last devlog wrote:One very simple insight from yesterday has allowed me to completely change how I think about metaprojects as I move forward with implementing them today. That insight is: you don't decide which metaproject. You decide how much of each. You don't choose between expansion, r&d, security, etc...you choose an allocation of your capital among them all. Just like power distribution. But where does that capital come from? We already know the answer to that one: project revenue. You take project revenue, divide it into percentages, and let that revenue flow into metaprojects that increase the long-term profitability of your existing operations.
Yay, Josh took the suggestion I made in IRC yesterday. :D I contributed something! I feel accomplished.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Josh's last devlog wrote:One very simple insight from yesterday has allowed me to completely change how I think about metaprojects as I move forward with implementing them today. That insight is: you don't decide which metaproject. You decide how much of each. You don't choose between expansion, r&d, security, etc...you choose an allocation of your capital among them all. Just like power distribution. But where does that capital come from? We already know the answer to that one: project revenue. You take project revenue, divide it into percentages, and let that revenue flow into metaprojects that increase the long-term profitability of your existing operations.
Yay, Josh took the suggestion I made in IRC yesterday. :D I contributed something! I feel accomplished.
What time was he on IRC?

ThymineC wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Ummmmm... Hmm. I didn't keep logs. :\ I guess around 5-7 your time, somewhere in there - but he didn't talk much.
5-7 AM...my only weakness!
Yours and mine both. :|
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now