Return to “General”

Time in LT

Hey all, first time posting so please don’t kill me okay, :D
Anyway, I have 2 questions
First, how will time be handled in LT?
-Will it be 1 to 1 to real time or will it be accelerated?

Second will/could it be possible to start up a game and then let it run in accelerated mode in for example 100 faster then normal ?
- What I mean by that is when the game is released, I could setup a game and hen let the AI run freely around for the first 10 years of game time and the slow it down and join to see what mayhem the AI have done

Hope people can understand what I mean

Regards
Jin16
Re: Time in LT

Question 1 Answer: No clue
Question 2 Possible Answers:

Complete Simulation Mode (Thymine's Idea)

I have heard discussions about the universe running for so many years before you actually start, in order to get history and things set up.

Also....WELCOME TO THE LT FORUMS! Please read the FAQ (In my signature) and please use the SEARCH box in the top right corner to search for any topics currently in existence about something you want to know.

Welcome...welcome to the LT Forums...it's safer here.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:Question 1 Answer: No clue
Question 2 Possible Answers:

Complete Simulation Mode (Thymine's Idea)

I have heard discussions about the universe running for so many years before you actually start, in order to get history and things set up.

Also....WELCOME TO THE LT FORUMS! Please read the FAQ (In my signature) and please use the SEARCH box in the top right corner to search for any topics currently in existence about something you want to know.

Welcome...welcome to the LT Forums...it's safer here.
I did actually use the search box, with keyword, "time"
Anyway thank

First off, welcome to the forums! :wave:

Now, in the thread pointed to above doesn't actually talk about Scale of Time. I mentioned it in that thread but was shot down since that wasn't the actual topic.

As for 1-to-1, I think it really depends. Some things will probably be accelerated for the sake of the game, while others will be real-time. Combat, for example, will be real-time, but when it comes to building things, that will probably be accelerated greatly (I mean, we shouldn't have it take years to build a supercap). The exact scale, I don't know.

Your second question, since there is already history generation, if the goal is to let the simulation run to 'set itself up', then that's already in game. If the point is to play around in the system, then give it some more simulation time to watch how the butterfly effect cascades, then I don't know. I want to say that it should be easy to implement, but Thymine's post above about complete simulation is probably the best place to brainstorm.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

A perfectly harmless underscore on IRC (right now) just said this.

[18:39] <+__________> you are asking at what rate time flows?
[18:39] <+Charley> As for 1-to-1, I think it really depends. Some things will probably be accelerated for the sake of the game, while others will be real-time. Combat, for example, will be real-time, but when it comes to building things, that will probably be accelerated greatly (I mean, we shouldn't have it take years to build a supercap). The exact scale, I don't know.
[18:40] <+Charley> that was DWMagus's post
[18:40] <+__________> ^
[18:40] <+Charley> That?
[18:40] <+Charley> :P
[18:40] <+__________> yes
[18:40] <+Charley> Thanks! harmless underscore
[18:40] <+__________> it's hard to answer because usually it is many questions rolled into one
[18:41] <+Charley> Ahhh okay.
[18:41] <+__________> the question of how is time measured
[18:41] <+__________> the question of do the ratios of that measurement conform to what we would expect in the real world
[18:41] <+__________> (does construction take way way longer than mining, etc)
[18:41] <+Charley> Well, I was under the assumption that everything would be sort of dynamic in a sense.
[18:41] <+__________> for the former, the answer is 'real units' but with a multiplicative factor
[18:41] <+Charley> Like construction won't take years
[18:41] <+__________> so maybe a second in realtime is a minute in game, etc
[18:42] <+__________> and exactly
[18:42] <+Charley> but combat might last only a few minutes
[18:42] <+__________> the ratios of actual durations are bent as you would expect for the sake of gameplay
[18:42] <+Charley> Wonderful

Done.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

DWMagus wrote:First off, welcome to the forums! :wave:

Now, in the thread pointed to above doesn't actually talk about Scale of Time. I mentioned it in that thread but was shot down since that wasn't the actual topic.

As for 1-to-1, I think it really depends. Some things will probably be accelerated for the sake of the game, while others will be real-time. Combat, for example, will be real-time, but when it comes to building things, that will probably be accelerated greatly (I mean, we shouldn't have it take years to build a supercap). The exact scale, I don't know.

Your second question, since there is already history generation, if the goal is to let the simulation run to 'set itself up', then that's already in game. If the point is to play around in the system, then give it some more simulation time to watch how the butterfly effect cascades, then I don't know. I want to say that it should be easy to implement, but Thymine's post above about complete simulation is probably the best place to brainstorm.
For the sake of clarity on my part, do you mean that the amount of time to build a cap ship would be a reduced number or that while a cap ship (or insert large construction item here) is being built the whole universe speeds up? Being that currently construction is set up to be able to work it's magic while you (the player) are off doing other things I was assuming that time would stay constant (universally set to whatever the passage of time ratio is at that moment) and that the amount of that time required to complete the construction would just be a reduced number for gameplay purposes.

I would think this being a simulation and single player there would be a way to "speed" up the passage of time, however I heard somewhere around the forums that currently Josh would prefer to not have a Pause option... so that may affect whether or not he would include a speed control. Personally I am cool either way (gonna miss the pause though), this is all just my understandings/assumptions based on reading the forums and watching the monthly Vids.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" ~Confucius

Aarioch wrote:For the sake of clarity on my part, do you mean that the amount of time to build a cap ship would be a reduced number or that while a cap ship (or insert large construction item here) is being built the whole universe speeds up? Being that currently construction is set up to be able to work it's magic while you (the player) are off doing other things I was assuming that time would stay constant (universally set to whatever the passage of time ratio is at that moment) and that the amount of that time required to complete the construction would just be a reduced number for gameplay purposes.

I would think this being a simulation and single player there would be a way to "speed" up the passage of time, however I heard somewhere around the forums that currently Josh would prefer to not have a Pause option... so that may affect whether or not he would include a speed control. Personally I am cool either way (gonna miss the pause though), this is all just my understandings/assumptions based on reading the forums and watching the monthly Vids.
He means that the construction time relative to real life is sped up, not that the game speeds up ;) In other words it doesn't take you months to build a space-station :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:He means that the construction time relative to real life is sped up, not that the game speeds up ;) In other words it doesn't take you months to build a space-station :)
So how long does it? Minutes? Hours? Days?

I'd personally prefer it to be on the lengthlier-end, and to imagine it as 1-to-1 i.e. it really does only take (say) a few days or maybe a week to set up a station in-universe. The wonders of future construction tech, right?

It all depends of the resources you're investing, isn't it? If you have an army of construction drones building your little nest in space, it could be done in a matter of hours. The bigger and complexer the thing is, the longer it takes until completion. You could have an "standard" building ratio, like this:

-Small Station (3 modules / complexity grade 3) = time until completion with:
a) 10 drones = 1000 hours
b) 50 drones = 200 hours
c) 100(!!) drones = 10 hours

LT could set a minimum construction time for each type of object and grade of complexity to represent pseudo-realistic difficulties and avoid that utopic building model we can see in most games...
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Besides, it makes a lot of sense that a really big thing, say space station, supercapital... you name it, should be some sort of end goal. Not the end of the game, but a long term goal for the player or for any low level AI. Of course, not all players or NPCs want to build the next galaxy wonder. Maybe you're happy with diversity on your ranks. Or maybe you want nothing to do with building things at all. That's the magic Josh is creating :thumbup:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

So would there be a possibility of hiring other AI to help you construct something? Take a station for example. Early on in the game I wouldn't expect you to be able to handle the material and construction drone requirements as well as you would later game. But if you are so adamant on owning your own station. You could perhaps send out a contract to help you build this station? You can combine drone power in exchange for money or ore or something. Its a really far fetched idea I know and I'll probably get crap for this but hey. I like the idea lol
IF YOU AINT OUT OF CONTROL, YOU AINT IN CONTROL!
EVE ONLINE FO LYFE
STAR WARS FOR LYFE

Online Now