Return to “General”

Re: Death

Mr_me wrote:Is this a bit off topic, but what would happen when you died. Would the universe reset or would you just respawn??
mind = blown... I feel ashamed that I dident think to ask about this VERY important part of any game...
so... how is Death handled here in our wonderful LT1?
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

It's single player, so death is just classic death, unless perhaps I implement cloning. Reload a savegame (or start over, if you were playing in hardcore mode)!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:It's single player, so death is just classic death, unless perhaps I implement cloning. Reload a savegame (or start over, if you were playing in hardcore mode)!
thanks for clarifying. i figured such would be the case i know there were more than one way to handle death afterall and am happy knowing which one to expect. Clones bring up an interesting idea for me though. i know they will be expensive but i see a possible clone war in my future...but wait i wanted to begin the BORG Empire... oh dear...so many options and ideas and i dont even have the game yet...
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

I will be hardcore commando all the way. I think the cloning mechanism is a good non-immersion breaker though, for the so inclined. I have thought about this question a lot and I think, again, choice is best. Hardcore and an intelligent mechanism for the game to be a bit more forgiving.
"The end is always coming, and the beginning will never come back..." --Nutty

What about if you just respawn in the nearest/biggest ship that you own/controll?
That way you'd lose something when you die (your last ship) and you would be able to keep playing.

I always think it's more exiting to feel like I risk something when I play a game.

Maybe I've been spoiled a bit by Minecraft, but for persistent/sandbox games, I prefer to be able to respawn. I know Minecraft had to do it this way since the world auto-saves, but from Josh's comment, it sounds like if we can load an earlier save that won't be the case.

But then again, I also prefer having the option of hardcore mode for when I feel a bit ambitious. :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

What if we handled this by difficulty?

Recruit = If you die, you respawn at the last base or planet you visited. All of your equipment and items remain.

Trainee = If you die, you respawn at the last base or planet you visited with the same equipment as you had when you died, but any ammunition and items in your cargo hold are gone (like Freelancer).

Officer = If you die, you respawn, but your ship is damaged and missing its guns, ammunition, commodities, and other kinds of external equipment.

Veteran = If you die, you lose your ship and your reputation with all factions is wiped clean. You lose all ties to NPCs, and you essentially start a new character in the same world.

Admiral = If you die, your save file deletes itself.

Of course, Josh uses a difficulty slider, so maybe that slider could have little tick marks on it to match up with these?

Like this: R||||||||||T||||||||||O||||||||||V||||||||||A

Or maybe you select one of these difficulties, and then the slider could just adjust the challenge that NPCs, quests, trade runs and other things present, relative to the gamemode/difficulty selected at the start.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:What if we handled this by difficulty?

Recruit = If you die, you respawn at the last base or planet you visited. All of your equipment and items remain.

Trainee = If you die, you respawn at the last base or planet you visited with the same equipment as you had when you died, but any ammunition and items in your cargo hold are gone (like Freelancer).

Officer = If you die, you respawn, but your ship is damaged and missing its guns, ammunition, commodities, and other kinds of external equipment.

Veteran = If you die, you lose your ship and your reputation with all factions is wiped clean. You lose all ties to NPCs, and you essentially start a new character in the same world.

Admiral = If you die, your save file deletes itself.

Of course, Josh uses a difficulty slider, so maybe that slider could have little tick marks on it to match up with these?

Like this: R||||||||||T||||||||||O||||||||||V||||||||||A

Or maybe you select one of these difficulties, and then the slider could just adjust the challenge that NPCs, quests, trade runs and other things present, relative to the gamemode/difficulty selected at the start.
i really like this idea, it means that when you are starting out you can go around blowing stuff up and not suffer to bad when you die. but when you get more into other exploits of the game such as survival the "admiral" will make it that much more difficult and exciting

The problem with harsh death penalties, even at hard difficulties, is that the player generally becomes very risk adverse. It also punishes the non OCD player who doesn't hit the autosave key every five minutes. Interesting gameplay happens though conflict (be it combat or economic) and risk taking by the player. There should be a penalty for death, but it shouldn't be so harsh that most players run unless they greatly outmatch their opponent -- which would be very unexciting combat.

I would have the death penalty slider be independent of difficulty. That way players like me can still enjoy a hard game but not suffer such a setback upon death.
David -- Proud to be saving the world since 1984

croxis wrote:The problem with harsh death penalties, even at hard difficulties, is that the player generally becomes very risk adverse. It also punishes the non OCD player who doesn't hit the autosave key every five minutes. Interesting gameplay happens though conflict (be it combat or economic) and risk taking by the player. There should be a penalty for death, but it shouldn't be so harsh that most players run unless they greatly outmatch their opponent -- which would be very unexciting combat.

I would have the death penalty slider be independent of difficulty. That way players like me can still enjoy a hard game but not suffer such a setback upon death.
That was one of my suggestions, to have the two be separate. And it makes sense, you could play a "you get one life" kind of world, but have it be really forgiving in terms of minute-to-minute interactions with NPCs and other things.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Online Now