Return to “General”

Re: Dammit! How did I miss this???

NzYme wrote:Just went through better than half the dev video updates. Looks fantastic! I know funding has stopped but I'll be picking up a retail copy the moment it hits! Keep up the great work Josh!
Welcome to the forums NzYme! As you could already observe, such is the standards at which you can expect to find in these amazing forums. :lol:
In Josh we trust.

DWMagus wrote:How the hell is it that half of our threads are devolving into theology and the psychology of self?
Probably for the same reason Most Wikipedia entries inherit from Philosophy :)
Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".
It seems crazy but give it a try :)

Also I agree with the OP. I just stumbled upon this game (one of the Star Citizens Devs mentioned it) and I'm blown away by what is going here

durron wrote:
Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".
XKCD does quite a bit, eh?

And welcome to the forums! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

durron wrote:
I tried it and ended up in an infinite recursive loop between "Web page" and "Web document".

I tried it with three random articles, and indeed landed on "philosophy" each time (to be fair, the paths converged even a couple of steps prior to reaching "philosophy". Amazing. On the other hand, when you've done it a couple of times, you see the pattern. Due to the way an encyclopedia works, it's highly likely that the first link in any article will go to some umbrella term of the current lemma, like a class nomer. If this is the case, you're already set on a path of articles about categories of an ever higher order, which at some point converge at "science". And from there it's only a few additional clicks.

I was wondering, however, whether there would be groups of articles creating a stable loop. The simplest form of this is two lemmata explaining (and linking to) each other. And indeed, ThymineC found one of those cases. :D

EDIT: I found another stable loop between "control system" and "industrial control system".

EDIT2: BREAKING NEWS: It's no longer true! Today at 2:18 UTC a user broke the inevitable path to "philosophy" by adding an additional link to the "fact" article. Previously the path went from "science" -> "knowledge" -> "fact" -> "proof (truth)" -> "argument" (here you get your first glimpse on philosophy, because it's the second link, but you're not quite there yet) -> "logic" -> "reason" -> "consciousness" -> "quality (philosophy)" -> "property (philosophy)" -> "modern philosophy" -> "philosophy".

But now the edit created another stable loop that bypasses "philosophy" and goes like this: "science" -> "knowledge" -> "fact" -> "reality" -> "existence" -> "world" -> "human" -> "primate" -> "mammal" -> "clade" -> "tree of life (science)" (you see where this is heading, but we're not quite there yet) -> "metaphor" (you didn't expect this deviation, did you?) -> "figure of speech" -> "word" -> "linguistics" -> "science". Et voilà! :mrgreen:

The amazing thing, however, is that the first link in the "philosophy" article goes to "reality". So in fact the stable loop was there even yesterday, but was quite a bit longer. And ironically it's the part that contains "philosophy" which has been cut.

But anyway, this seems to be the highest order loop into which a lot of paths converge after an amazingly few clicks.

Online Now