Return to “General”

Re: How far will ship design go? How different will ships be

I don't know what he'd expect from a "human expert" but in principle, the script does what he's suggesting.
Analyse for multiple targets the movement and vector changes (basically the derivate) and decide which targets to engage with which turrets and guns.

As a result, a destroyer can simultaneously take on some 30-40 fighters and a few M6 and have a chance to win.

The vanilla turret scripts work like "shoot and keep shooting the first thing that comes in range".
The same destroyer would die without even making a dent, spraying bullets every which way and performing the "flailing hopelessly" maneuver.

Given the many corners I had to cut to make it work without grinding the game to a halt, the math looks pretty screwy, with 1D, 2D, and 2.5D aspects. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:I don't know what he'd expect from a "human expert" but in principle, the script does what he's suggesting.
Analyse for multiple targets the movement and vector changes (basically the derivate) and decide which targets to engage with which turrets and guns.
Exactly that, but I'm not sure if such a script counts as AI in the sense of Josh's reasoning NPCs. If the NPCs were only supplied with basic weapon stats and could reason their way to MARS-like behavior, I would be deeply impressed (and a bit worried about an impending Skynet incident :shock: ). It would amount to Josh's AI doing much of your work in creating MARS, and I consider that unrealistic.

But maybe a hybrid is possible:
Provide some pre-designed P_hit calculation as discussed here, then present it to the AI as fact. Then the AI can simply compare the expected "effective DPS" values, and pick the most suitable weapon without actually reasoning about movement and vector changes. That might be in the realm of the possible.

Rabiator wrote:Provide some pre-designed P_hit calculation as discussed here, then present it to the AI as fact. Then the AI can simply compare the expected "effective DPS" values, and pick the most suitable weapon without actually reasoning about movement and vector changes. That might be in the realm of the possible.
That would be a "semi dumb" script like the old AEGIS from the X2 bonus pack.

A lot of the things that made MARS effective and dynamic... can only be generated dynamically.
And frankly, it's not that hard to do when you can work at the engine level. My problem was making it work with a sloooow and clumsy script interpreter.

The real question is if you want AI ships to be capable of kicking the player's ass in his starter ship. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:Ah, a level 8 EM shield! Very crafty but you will not evade our optical survey drones forever!

Always been wondering if it's "Pizza" or "πz²a". Mysteries of the universe...
If you let z be the radius of your pizza and a be the height of your pizza and assume the pizza to be cylindrical, then πz²a gives you the volume of your pizza i.e. how much pizza is in your pizza.

Gazz wrote: As a result, a destroyer can simultaneously take on some 30-40 fighters and a few M6 and have a chance to win.

The vanilla turret scripts work like "shoot and keep shooting the first thing that comes in range".
The same destroyer would die without even making a dent, spraying bullets every which way and performing the "flailing hopelessly" maneuver.

Given the many corners I had to cut to make it work without grinding the game to a halt, the math looks pretty screwy, with 1D, 2D, and 2.5D aspects. =)
M6... Gazz...! Would I be wrong in saying this is the same infamous Gazz of X fame?
Been a long time since I did any mods for X as Logain Abler.

mattryan72 wrote:
Gazz wrote: As a result, a destroyer can simultaneously take on some 30-40 fighters and a few M6 and have a chance to win.

M6... Gazz...! Would I be wrong in saying this is the same infamous Gazz of X fame?
Been a long time since I did any mods for X as Logain Abler.
Yes, this is the same great gazz as the one in the x forums.
Or at least he does a good job imitating him ^^

Online Now