Return to “General”

Re: I think Josh lied

ExpressZero wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:54 pm
I say just just follow the money. $180,000 from Kickstarter to be exact. Is there any proof on what these funds were actually spent on, specific to this project?

I for one think this started as an idea, quickly turned into an unreachable goal, and then the panic set in so it just about keeping the lie alive while a reasonable exit plan was thought up. Stretched out long enough, to where the $180k over the long of period made sense. My guess, no real work went into it after the first year. Just fluffy tweaks as others have said to make the videos look good.

I also believe a portion of the mental illness claims, though I think it was due to the size of the lie continuing to grow, and not the scale of the project.
I always hate the uneducated types who are quick to scream that mental illness doesn't exist. Its your kind of trash that makes dealing with a mental illness so difficult, because scum like you insist there's no such thing, that it happens to "other people" but never anyone you know or interact with. High amounts of stress are a major cause of mental illness and financial problems are especially stressful.

Realize also that you're paying for Josh's salary, his daily living expenses... I get you uneducated types don't know anything about investing, but $180,000 is not a lot of money. $180,000 over six years of working full time on a project.. If you kickstarter investors weren't all braindead morons you'd understand basic math... you'd take a look at your own living expenses and think differently.

I cannot stand your type. Josh lied to no one, not even himself. The problem was that he started with a "small" obtainable project, but then got enthused by the audience to make it bigger before he even accomplished the small project. It's understandable too, because these design changes need to be put in early in the development but the longer you stay in the early stages the more you need to close up to get to even a working version of what you intend.The stress mountain isn't hard to see at all, anyone who has a basic level of education can see the events unfolding.

You know what people normally do under such stress? They commit suicide. That is how disgusting you all are, beating on someone who has likely been suicidal for several years, feeling as if because he could not accomplish what he promised that he is defective and the world would be better off without him.

Vadim,

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to re-read my post. The truth is we don't know what Josh was up to the entire 6 years. As my post said, I don' think any real work went into the project after the first year. Who's knows if he really spent "6 years of working full time". If I am right, that $180k went into 1yr of work only. How ever brain-dead I may be, I know $180k for a 1yr side-project IS a lot of money. Especially when you don't have to show any real work.
Also, had you read my post thoroughly, I said I DID believe a portion of his mental issues story. I never said it didn't exist, nor put him down for it. Quit projecting the voices of those in your life that don't believe your struggles, onto my post.
All I know is, Josh doesn't keep his word....with anything. Not the game, not regular update posts, not releasing the source code like it said he would.... Nothing. I don't have any desire to see him fail in life or anything ridiculous like that, nor do I think he is a shitty person.... But I'm not going to sugar coat it either. Josh isn't someone that has proven he can be taken at his word. A finished game aside, even simple things he promised he failed to deliver on. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....

For what it's worth I don't think he lied. I honestly think he tried to release a game but got completely overwhelmed by what was involved. It's one thing being able to program it's a completely different thing to be able to pull all of it together and make a game. That said if you are going to do a kickstarter you should make yourself well aware of what's going to be required before you start, I don't think Josh did that and I think that was down to naivety, not from trying to lie or be duplicitous.

Philip Coutts wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:08 am
I honestly think he tried to release a game but got completely overwhelmed by what was involved.
He should have pulled back the scope of the game as soon as he realised he wasn't going to make it. The game can always be added to down the road.
I started calling out Josh pretty early because I saw the warning signs. Reworking the same fluff again and again, with slow main core development, was a massive red flag.
Though at this point bringing this up is beating the long dead horse.
Philip Coutts wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:08 am
That said if you are going to do a kickstarter you should make yourself well aware of what's going to be required before you start, I don't think Josh did that and I think that was down to naivety, not from trying to lie or be duplicitous.
Here's the thing, I loved the people here, but most of the group didn't get that Josh was given a massive amount of money, particually for an unproven ameatuer. People really should have, respectively, questioned Josh more. Only a couple of us would point out that almost every update was just Josh redoing the same couple menus and systems from scratch. To make it worse the majority of the community would write this off as us just being negative.

Josh was an adult when he started this. He knew he was taking a massive amount of money. I am sorry, but part of the blame for the failure has to be put on the shoulders of the community here. Too many people treated Josh like a weird combination of a mega rock star and a small child. The dude got almost enough money to pay for a house in some areas.

More people should have called out the crap like Josh talking about programing from "Lucid dreaming", and that Limit Theory was always about creating "Elegant code and not about making a final product." Sorry, that kind of garbage can fly when you are making a game out of your own pocket. Not something that was community funded.

Again though, beating the dead horse at this point.
My Signature

Part of assuming other people are functional adults is treating them as such by default. This is the opposite of "I assume you are trying to steal my money; prove me wrong!" that's so popular these days.

We can all be disappointed and still conclude that Josh did the best he, as a fellow human being, was capable of doing.

Online Now