Return to “Games”

Isometric / Top down 'traditional' RPGs

I'm craving games like Divinity: Original Sin 2 at the moment, though I'm struggling to find many.

Anyone got any opinions on the greats of the genre? Path of Exile is okay, but it's a little too "Hold one button and walk forward"-y for me.

I'm currently downloading Pillars of Eternity, and Baldur's Gate 2 to try and scratch that itch.
edit: Baldur's Gate 2 is too ancient for me. I can't get through it's age.

Alternatively just shove good games at me. Y'all pretty much know what I've played at this point. :ghost:
Last edited by Black--Snow on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)
Re: Isometric / Top down 'traditional' RPGs

Tyranny looks good, I'll have a look!

Counter productively, I have a really hard time playing games older than about 2008 or so, even that can be a stretch. Baldur's gate II was a bust for that reason. Also its UI is just godawful. Way too much information thrown at you, and not enough compartmentalisation.

Tides of Numenera looks cool, but the reviews are quite scathing.

Is Divinity: OS 1 worth playing even after the second? Is it just a direct downgrade of 2?
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Flatfingers wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 am
Would the XCOM games fit into this category?

(The newer ones, since if BG II is unacceptably ancient, the original X-COM games are probably not going to feel much better.)
The new XCOM games are among my very favorite games. I tried one of the old ones and it just felt too clunky.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:54 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:35 am
Counter productively, I have a really hard time playing games older than about 2008 or so, even that can be a stretch.
yeah, Crysis is so hard to look at
Illustration of Crysis's ugliness:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:54 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:35 am
Counter productively, I have a really hard time playing games older than about 2008 or so, even that can be a stretch.
yeah, Crysis is so hard to look at
Were Crysis a top down / Isometric RPG, it probably would be. :V

What about Disco Elysium? Look for RagnarRox analysis on YouTube; there you will find everything you need to know before deciding if may be your kind of game. And as you are at it, keep watching other RagnarRox videos; they are worth it.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Online Now