Return to “Games”

Nier Automata

How is there no thread for this game yet?!

Alright, so I've never played any of the other Nier games. Apparently this one is a spinoff from a joke ending in one of the original games. From what I hear, the original was set in a fantasy land, but this one is almost dystopian future. Due to life issues, I haven't been able to play too deep into it, but I can say that the combat is definitely fun, the characters are amusing, and the setting and plot so far? Pretty damn good.

You play as a bad-ass sword-swinging android sent to earth to try and reclaim it from an attacking race of machines. Might sound a bit out of left field, but incredibly fun. I'll leave the trailer here.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: Nier Automata

Baile nam Fonn wrote:On my wishlist, but the asking price is ..steep, for me. :|
I hope it goes on sale sometime soon. Summer sale or something, hopefully with a nice, juicy discount. :)
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Talvieno wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I heard you have to play at least 3 endings to fully enjoy it. :roll:
That's not necessarily a downside. The Stanley Parable has at least ten different endings, and you find yourself wanting to explore as many as possible. :lol:
Dinosawer wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I heard you have to play at least 3 endings to fully enjoy it. :roll:
Linear game: "THIS HAS NO REPLAY VALUE"
Non-linear game: "YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT N TIMES TO REALLY ENJOY IT"

:ghost:
I'm sorry, I clicked the wrong one. Got the wrong smiley there. Imo this is of course a good thing and not a bad one!

Sorry for the confusion. :shifty:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

They mean 3 Play-throughs to 'really' enjoy it.

But yeah, I have like 5 endings and I haven't beaten it yet.... mostly because I haven't had time, but same idea.

BMRX; you should start a new game just to die in the first overhead shooter part. :P
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

So, I've played through the first part of the game at this point, and some of the second playthrough (which really is quite different - you discover all sorts of neat things you didn't the first time around. I'm told it gets very different toward the end of the second playthrough, too.

I have little but praise to offer, so I'll keep it brief. This game is amazing, and if it wasn't for the issues with the PC ports, it'd be a real classic, I think. The issues are (mostly) fixable, at least, with the fan-made patch, though. I'd like to say more, but I'm not sure how much more I could say without spoiling anything. It's not particularly difficult to play, but feels very graceful, and the music is outstanding. There are also a few very emotional scenes I didn't see coming. The second playthrough turns it all around and I found myself actually feeling kind of emotional at things I didn't the first time around, because of the added backstory/detail.

It's just, overall, glorious. It's not as intense as a first person shooter (or, at least, wasn't until the end of the first playthrough), but if you want to pick up a game you can really relax to and enjoy, while still exploring and doing some (honestly pretty cool) fighting, this is a good one for it. If you like story, even better. It is a bit grindy, though - especially certain boss fights. Some boss fights can take upwards of fifteen minutes of repetitive hacking and slashing. Other than that, it's a real gem of a game, and I'm not even all the way through it. :) I have 37 hours in so far, and from the looks of it, there's a lot more content still to come.

(To be honest, I went into the game thinking I wasn't likely to enjoy it much at all. It didn't seem to be my type of thing. Turns out, it is. I mean, obviously.)

It's also worth noting I'm playing with a controller, and not a mouse and keyboard. The keyboard/mouse controls may not be as smooth/fun to play with, I don't know.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

So, I finished the game.

The way I've explained it to a number of people is that it's like a street performer. A street performer has to capture his audience quickly, and keep them hooked. To do so, they start with a cool stunt, then build slowly for a short time on the expectation of another cool stunt. When that short period runs out, they start laying on one bigger stunt after another, carefully but firmly. Like reeling in a fish, they reel in their audience, and their display becomes more and more impressive toward the end of the performance, keeping the audience's mind in a constant state of "blown".

Nier does this all the way to the end. The first playthrough, it's all about action. Action gets ramped up with one thing after another. The second playthrough, it's about plot twists. By the end, my mind was totally blown. And the third playthrough... I'd say it was all about the feels.

Good game. Very good, in fact. Excellent I'd say. It's not even what would normally be my type of thing.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:57 am
So, I finished the game.

The way I've explained it to a number of people is that it's like a street performer. A street performer has to capture his audience quickly, and keep them hooked. To do so, they start with a cool stunt, then build slowly for a short time on the expectation of another cool stunt. When that short period runs out, they start laying on one bigger stunt after another, carefully but firmly. Like reeling in a fish, they reel in their audience, and their display becomes more and more impressive toward the end of the performance, keeping the audience's mind in a constant state of "blown".

Nier does this all the way to the end. The first playthrough, it's all about action. Action gets ramped up with one thing after another. The second playthrough, it's about plot twists. By the end, my mind was totally blown. And the third playthrough... I'd say it was all about the feels.

Good game. Very good, in fact. Excellent I'd say. It's not even what would normally be my type of thing.
Damn you, Tal! I don't have to play this, but now I must. GRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil:

:)
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Online Now