Return to “Games”

Re: EVERSPACE

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hardenberg wrote: -Oldenberg, feeling old.
FTFY

*runs fast*
Why bother? It's pretty clear that I'm too old and too slow to be dangerous anymore, let alone catch anything beyond a common cold.

-Decrepitberg, wheezing.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hardenberg wrote: -Oldenberg, feeling old.
FTFY

*runs fast*
Why bother? It's pretty clear that I'm too old and too slow to be dangerous anymore, let alone catch anything beyond a common cold.

-Decrepitberg, wheezing.
I never live long in games like this either Hardenberg. I'm old and not as quick as I used to be...and I sport a dodgy wrist. I don't take games like this seriously. It's pretty, and I enjoy the "flying about a bit shooting at stuff". It's one of those games I will pick up and play just for a quick fix. ;) :angel:

Hardenberg wrote:Got to Sector 3 so far, mostly by running away since I'm getting my ass handed to me left and right.

Got mulched during the tutorial, too. Shortest run was spawning next to 3 alien fighters, which blew through my shield, wrecked the life support and sent me home in a box about 1.5 seconds later.

Yeah, I get it, it's supposed to be hard, but you're so at the mercy of the RNG it's not even funny anymore. The flying, the visuals and the shooting is nice, if you get around to enjoy it for a bit. But unless I miraculousy reacquire the reflexes of a 15 year old hopped up on Red Bull, or the devs implement a "tottery old geezer"-mode, I think I'll just pass.
Getting one's teeth kicked repeatedly in for a whopping 300 spacebucks* and a handfull of worthless minerals really makes you appreciate all the other stuff in your library.

* = Given the frequency in which the game kills you, your hourly income is probably still decent, but ATM it doesn't feel like you're getting frequent dyer miles, it's more like the game insists on making it crystal clear that you're too old and too slow for it, and you don't deserve to see any improvements.

-Hardenberg, feeling old.
I'll admit, I have been getting my teeth kicked in. I keep pushing a little further for credits, sometimes just selling or trading everything for credits so that my next run will be better, but then I get smeared in the first or second areas by enemies who just are superior in every freaking way. A bit frustrating but I am slowly picking up upgrades that invest in the long-term. Like more credits found, more weapon slots, better shields, even getting a shot at a random choice of 2 possible weapons to start each run. I started with a Gatling Gun II. It was fun :3 but still got murdered by Okkar intercepters. I don't like running >.>
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

It's intense enough that a few runs a day is my maximum.
Many times have my teeth been kicked in, but when a run rewards you, it can do that in a big way too.
My last one involved a fantastic combo of the front shield (after I traded out my well-used time extender --time slowing drugs like the Judge Dredd movie), a Fusion Blaster +++ (went crazy with fire rate mods :twisted: ) and energy consumables.
Took out 2 corvettes and was rewarded with blueprints. The first time I went after one of those, it was a hopelessly one-sided fight with predictable results.
Missile spam to thin the herd is my bread and butter. Okkar drop them frequently enough, and srap and ore are common.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Pro Tips from a flying squirrel.

1. Jink. I can't stress this enough. You're not in a gun turret, you're in a fighter. Don't stop moving to the S Club beat. Seriously, move yo ass. You have a wall of ships coming towards you? Fine, turn around, point your guns at them and fly backwards. But make sure to jink.

Incidentally, I think the keyboard might be better for this because there's no time lag between moving from one side of a joypad to the other.

2. Hide. Dodging is all well and good, but you also have plenty of cover out there. One thing to note is your opponents are sometimes short on brains. They do sometimes spaz out and crash into asteroids and they can't shoot through them. There's no shame in taking cover if your shield is recharging.

3. Lasers are good against shields. Gatling guns are good against armour. Don't be a plum and switch as needed.

4. Okkar Interceptors are mean. And they don't really give you much in the way of reward, so get the flip out of there when the interceptor approaching alarm goes off. Once that alarm goes things are going to go downhill fast.

5. Front Shields are your friend. They'll stop a reasonable amount of firepower and your main shield'll stay up.

6. If you're in trouble, spam those missiles. Seriously, they're expendable. Of course, so are you.... :twisted:

I made it to sector 4 by jumping with no fuel like 3 times in a row and somehow surviving...without sensors. Honestly, once my sensors blew, I was screwed in a dogfight. Couldn't identify enemies and couldn't tell what kind of damage I was doing.

Also, I COMPLETELY agree with the 'jinking.' However, I will prefer to call it "Strafing back and forth VERY OFTEN" Very very effective, and I was well on my way to sector 4 easily but somehow I ran into a sector with like 7 Okkar and 5 outlaws in a huge battle and then decided to all chase after me. I got webber'd so many times I wanted to scream. Then the engines went out but I blew away like 10 of them before finally getting destroyed. Frustrated the sh!t out of me because I kept trying to bob and weave but I kept getting froze by those stupid webber drones...seriously like 10 of them continuously, and just could not keep the damage from raining on me. Also, I had found no primary weapons or crystal to upgrade my primary weapons...so I was no match :\ but I will do better next run! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Thanks HS,

I have this game since Alpha and it was great.
Then I left it alone for a while and now, I can't get past the first room.

I'll try these tactics when I the next which-game-to-play-next loop comes up :)

fM

HowSerendipitous wrote:Pro Tips from a flying squirrel.

1. Jink. I can't stress this enough. You're not in a gun turret, you're in a fighter. Don't stop moving to the S Club beat. Seriously, move yo ass. You have a wall of ships coming towards you? Fine, turn around, point your guns at them and fly backwards. But make sure to jink.

Incidentally, I think the keyboard might be better for this because there's no time lag between moving from one side of a joypad to the other.

2. Hide. Dodging is all well and good, but you also have plenty of cover out there. One thing to note is your opponents are sometimes short on brains. They do sometimes spaz out and crash into asteroids and they can't shoot through them. There's no shame in taking cover if your shield is recharging.

3. Lasers are good against shields. Gatling guns are good against armour. Don't be a plum and switch as needed.

4. Okkar Interceptors are mean. And they don't really give you much in the way of reward, so get the flip out of there when the interceptor approaching alarm goes off. Once that alarm goes things are going to go downhill fast.

5. Front Shields are your friend. They'll stop a reasonable amount of firepower and your main shield'll stay up.

6. If you're in trouble, spam those missiles. Seriously, they're expendable. Of course, so are you.... :twisted:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

I made it almost to sector 5 relatively intact...the only problem I ran into was fuel. Dog-fighting enemies doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. Now I am just running out of gas and then having to risk jumping without enough fuel or wait for the interceptors and huge battleship to arrive and wipe me off the face of the....well...nothing...since space and all. :ghost:

I beat the game :D at least the game that is completed so far. So much fun. Think I might do it again. Had some weapon that began with a C...can't remember what it was called. Primary weapon. Rapid-fired projectiles like a gatling gun but super accurate and had a range of 2.2km. Also had a flak cannon II which murdered the swarms. Felt so awesome :D

Edit - The gun I loved was the Coil Gun (I had the level 2 version). I had 282 confirmed kills in my last run and beat the game again :p Was pretty close at some points. 4-5 high level ships swarming me with missiles and stupid webber drones holding me still and disorienting me. Luckily I had Mainframe Override lvl 3 which helped get me an ally(until they died painfully) and get some fire off of me. Fun times! :ghost:

Flak is still awesome in this game too. Love my gunship, even though we fall far short of reaching the end. :D

As of today they've got functional cockpit displays in for the three ships. I reckon that that's great news for pilot's-POV dogfighters. :ghost:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now