Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

My Oculus arrived today. First thing I did was configure it for ED. It requires setting it as primary display and then running the game. Usually at first it's off center or something, so there are some annoying bits to go through at first, but then it does work and you find yourself in the ship.
I'm not sure how to describe it. First thing that hit me was completely different feel for sizes and proportions of things. Everything seems so much bigger. Then the immersion. You look to the left and the comm menu pops up. To the right and you got your systems. This interface makes so much sense! Then the freaky part. I hold a hotas system in my hands, and I see "my hands" on same controls in game. It seems so real. It makes me want to reach out and use the in game buttons ...and then the left game-hand moved it's fingers and it made me jump. :?
After about an hour of playing it all became second nature. Landing approach is much easier now that I can "feel" the depth of my surroundings. Awesome. I also have to say that the game runs totally fine without me having to decrease settings. I'm using i5 2550, GTX 670, 16GB of fast ram and SSD.
This brings me to the downside. The graphics. There is no way around it. It's pixels everywhere. And big ones. Think VGA era. And there are some interference patterns where the graphics overlay each other, like the text of menus. It's to a point that they are often tough to read. :/ The displays are very close to your eyes, so you can also see the spaces between pixels. The black grid. If wearing Oculus makes you feel like wearing motorcycle helmet, then the pixels spacing is kinda like throwing mosquito net over your head.
Good news is you get used to that, and other than difficult to read fonts, it doesn't bother you at all. Probably same way graphics of original Elite didn't bother us back in the day. Fun of the game and imaginations fills in the blanks.
Would VR give upper hand in this game? I think no. It gives some ease of use of interface and awareness and feel of surroundings, but it takes away too - you loose detail of graphics, will strain eyes trying to read anything, and will have to stop and re-center the VR from time to time. So for pure efficiency traditional monitor is still better, but VR will give extra thrill for exploring and sight seeing.
After about 2 hours I took the Rift off, and that make me disoriented. It snuck up on me how disattached from reality of my apartment I became.

darker70 wrote:
Or even at some point in time maybe this new player in the VR hand control market.

Nimble VR :think:
This stupid camera based tracking will die soon enough.
The limited view angle and susceptibility to lighting and hand posture will succumb fast to the unlimited moving space and simpler processing of either inertial measurement based systems or straight up mechanical engineering.

Because: the moment you leave the cameras viewing area, your in-game hands vanish.
that cannot happen with something that is on your hand and not on your forehead.

As a secondary system to provide a second set of data to increase precision while you view your hands? Sure!
As the primary tracking? Nope...

I dont think I am going to pick this game, the way the forums are evolving I am afraid ED may become EVE Online 2. The mentality of big ship big guns, kill everyone is not the mentality of a normal space age fairing society. Dont we have enough killing among ourselves already, why make a game/space simulation into another massacre of the human race? Why cant we have a game of exploration, discovery, establishing relations with other races, learning new ways, new scientific discoveries, learning about other civilizations and their history, why every single game has to turn into a PVP kill all way of life?

With a galaxy with over 400 billions stars as mentioned in the game I cannot believe how PVP (and no space exploration/discovery) is the main dish in so many people's mind. I would love just to go and find out what is around that star and that one and that one and that one, darn it, I will die of old age without leaving the first system, just checking every hole, crack, species etc I may find.
Last edited by Kambalo on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kambalo wrote:With a galaxy with over 400 billions stars as mentioned in the game I cannot believe how PVP (and no space exploration/discovery) is the main dish in so many people's mind. I would die just go and find out what is around that star and that one and that one and that one, darn it, I will day of old age without leaving the first system, just checking every hole, crack, species etc I may find.
I posted this on the Frontier Forums check out the "Mobius" Group. We are PvE with no PvP at all unless you go to a warzone. If you just want to explore with some people to chat to then it's the perfect group for you. The Frontier Forum thread is here:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362

We also have our own forum (I'm a mod but don't let that put you off!) here:

http://elitepve.com/index.php?sid=be7c4 ... 161d123510

As I say you will never be attacked by another player unless you go to a warzone. It's about playing the environment and not each other.

The other thing I would say is don't believe everything you read on the Frontier forum. I've played ED since Alpha and never come across the dreaded players that some (and only some) people seem to find. Generally I have found people who want to go about their business and have a quick chat about the game. There does appear to be a certain amount of hysteria about PvP at the moment and I just haven't found any evidence of it.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:@Philip Coutts

2 things:
First:
that group sounds interesting, expect me to pop in once ED is out ^^

Second:
where are the pictures of those beautiful curves you told us about lately? :lol:
I can't afford the curves! they are like 26 million credits! Dante80 has posted some pictures of the Clipper. Looks like a jet in space, beautiful thing.

Online Now