Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Chris Roberts: The Prince of Whales

0111narwhalz wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:44 am
not to tell you your trade, but it needs training—you'd be better off in a locale which provides a better means by which to measure your skill.
I'm not very smart so please tell me what this really means. Go post on reddit and see how hard I get downvoted?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:28 pm
what now? is it all a scam or just misguided?
can you hold an opinion for a whole sentence?
Chris is misguided. As a means to an end they are scamming people in my opinion.

Consider the following: CIG have not released a single game. They're collecting and asking for money like they have and that a release is guaranteed. It's not. Taking money from your customers and not disclaiming risks about the outcome in my opinion is unethical. They're hoping they can deliver.

When they finally play the "we tried" card I hope a couple backers will have the guts to call them out. You don't take money, hope you can bake a pizza without informing the customer. No, you need to disclose the risks or give a refund when your customer calls you out on the tomato covered dough you tried to pass off as a finished product.

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 am
I'm not very smart so please tell me what this really means. Go post on reddit and see how hard I get downvoted?
Yeah, basically. Then you can improve your posting quality, until people begin to see it as "insightful" and "worth the time it took to load the page."
as opposed to now where its "why do i bother reasing it?"

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:29 pm
I have a question about ships.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:

It's been nearly two decades since Chris Roberts has shipped a game.

My question is was it ever a good idea to give Chris Roberts money?
That depends on the person that gave Roberts money in the first place.

Look at this Forum (while somewhat of a stretch comparison wise).

Some people lost interest while the status of the game was still unclear and never bothered to return. Some stayed around until it was clear that there would be no finished game. The people that still remain are here because its a nice community and there are many nice ideas and discussions on this forum (and the people that came along just for the "journey").

You would get different answers from all these people if it was worth spending money, i imagine that it will be similiar for Star Citizien.

I dont think that there is a clear yes/no answer if you should give Roberts money until there is a finished game or not. (if there will ever be)
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
My question is was it ever a good idea to give Chris Roberts money?
Same can be said about Braben and Elite Dangerous.
before there was anything to show it was exactly the same state.

And that turned out fine.

You cant really tell from the kickstarters.
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't think it was a bad idea at all. As I've said before, it jumpstarted dozens of open world sci-fi games. People were inspired and realized, seemingly for the first time, that it wasn't a niche market. Continuing to pour money onto them, I don't know, but the Kickstarter itself? I think that money was well-spent. For those that have enjoyed the journey, also money well spent. A lot of people have.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 am
I'm still an optimist after all these years.
Optimist's life is the best life. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now