Return to “Games”

Re: Factorio

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Has anybody else done the new tutorials, and loved them? :train:
Chain signals and complex intersections nevertheless still scare me. :ghost:
Nah, but will test em out today. As soon as my PC works again. :silent:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

From RPS comments. Couldn't describe the beguiling Factorio madness better if I tried:
MyrddinE wrote:Factorio is one of the highest rated games on Steam, and that’s partly because they did a masterful job of matching their advertisement (the video they made a year or so ago) with their gameplay. The advertisement is exciting to a very specific mindset, and that game is freaking awesome for players who like fiddling, tweaking, and optimizing.

Of course, the game is also just flat out good. Like Civilization, it has that ‘one more thing’ quality, but instead of doing one more turn you optimize one aspect of your factory. Maybe you need to fix the output of your oil refinery. Perhaps you have a resource shortage in your green science packs. Oh, that’s because your iron mine is running out… well, it won’t take too long to plop down a new one. Hmm. Well, I’ll just clear out this nest of baddies that’s near this mine… oh crap, I’ll have to craft a tank because that nest has some heavy biters…

And all of a sudden it’s Thursday, and you’re not sure when the last time you slept was.
My 0.15 lazy bastard (currently at 106 pocketcrafts, entering into blue science era) factory is still horrible.
Hardly any belts, and a laughable amount of chest-hand-delivery-work. :shifty:
But I'll cautiously say that I'm learning how to better deal with oil: liberal use of pumps between storage tanks. And I have a locomotive & fluid wagon automated between refinery and oil field. :geek:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Factorio - Still Alive - Portal - Programmable speakers - It was inevitable. It is glorious. :squirrel:

TheFatRat - Monody | Factorio Programmable Speakers - this one has some awkward rests, but the melody is still catchy and the visual presentation is attractively clean.

I pushed to get a tank today. Rode out in 0.15 beast-tank glory against the biters, tragically demolishing my second train stop at the outset. :cry:
My stack of piercing shells, AP ammo (supported by auxiliary stacks of regular ammo and a handful of repair packs) laid waste to
hordes of the indigenous savages, and dozens of worms and spawners were trod under track. :twisted:
I also added a light & heavy oil storage train.
The new wagons are absolutely the best way to go for stocking in anticipation of cracking, indeed, moving valuable fluid assets over anything beyond very short distances. :thumbup:
And imo the storage tanks should only be used in a small buffer capacity.
Any serious scale storage is clearly the domain of the more versatile and space efficient wagons, especially considering that train stops now read wagon contents for the circuit network.

Baile nam Fonn wrote: Hardly any belts, and a laughable amount of chest-hand-delivery-work. :shifty:
I mean, after about 1 hours I had already fully automated the red science pack production. Not even one handcrafting process needed anymore. But I think that's just the automation engineer in me that wants to immediately automate all the things. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:automate all the things. :D
Oh, I have grandiose automation plans: a logic controlled full-auto factory comprised of single-train-circuit districts (and tight-loops for the more complex stuff eg. power, refineries) and a main rail trunk, running entirely on the power of trains -- bare minimal chests and pipe, no belts, no liquid storage buildings, no logistics bots.
:train: :twisted:

My lazy bastardness is all set now, tech-wise. I've got about 20 green assemblers. Final pocket-craft count will be 106. I'm not sure if that's the minimum, but if not it's really close.
My tank forays continue to be glorious. I haven't done any grenade runs yet, but I've switched over to explosive shells, which are marvelous for systematically destroying bases.
Flamethrower mode is great for mowing a path ahead of me through forests and face-melting my biter trains, but I was a little sad when I learned that it can't start forest fires.

DWMagus wrote:You mean fully automated like this? Where the factory even expands on its own?
No, not so far as grey goo. I don't think you can in an unmodded factory (yet)? :ghost:
I'll define a 'full-auto factory' as one that handles resource extraction and distribution, all crafting needs, fueling of research and power, and delivery in sensible ratios all of the bits
and bobs necessary for expansion to the player via the 'mother train'. It would also be responsible for maintaining a defensive line on the factory's perimeter.
Leaving the player responsible for: establishing new districts, re-purposing deprecated districts, debugging faulty district setups, and eradicating flora and fauna.

But the rail cells paradigm there looks similar to what's in my evil plans. :geek:
Never mind, no. My rail cells will not work like that.
They'll all be discrete, one train to one cell (eliminating the need for signals and train queues), each cell having at least 2 stops.
I'll try to mock up some demonstration screenshots soon to show how wildly outside Factorio norms my scheme is - I'll reiterate: no belts, at all, except as a science ingredient. And no logistics bots. :monkey:

Talvieno wrote:That's kinda crazy. :shock: No belts, sure, why not. No logistic bots though??? I love those things!
I think rail stops can be added to the logistics network.
I'll look into whether or not this can be exploited for use in train-to-train transfers (I'll have a lot of those), since a buzzing swarm at train rendezvous would be nice. ;)

Talvieno wrote:Trains can't deliver goodies and remove trash from my inventory though :(
Not sure about that first one, but the second one? Ever get hit by a train? :angel:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now