Return to “Games”

Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

McDuff wrote:I didn't mind losing stacks in Civ V, but I got really annoyed that you couldn't say "this group of units needs to go from this side of the map to this side" easily. You'd have to click individual units and scroll, and then repeat, and repeat, and repeat. And then do it all again when they lost their way. Really tedious.
I've not played civ to know what you're talking about gut in the game spot article they said that's been solved or something.

McDuff wrote:I didn't mind losing stacks in Civ V, but I got really annoyed that you couldn't say "this group of units needs to go from this side of the map to this side" easily. You'd have to click individual units and scroll, and then repeat, and repeat, and repeat. And then do it all again when they lost their way. Really tedious.
Indeed, this. Even worse when it didn't occur to me to turn off the auto unit cycling. That was a gruelling invade-Egypt campaign for me and my Impi horde. :roll:

If y'all know of a mod that fixes this UI impediment. please share. :)
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

ThymineC wrote:
I've not played civ to know what you're talking about gut in the game spot article they said that's been solved or something.
Maybe they've made it so you can pass units through other units as long as they don't land on the same hex. :problem: That's the only way I can think they might have fixed it and kept the one unit per hex. Would be really nice if they would let you have two-three workers per hex as construction can tasked forever.
True understanding comes when you can explain to someone why something works the way it works, not just that something works. I'm talking to you Quantum Mechanics :).

Trackman97 wrote:Maybe they've made it so you can pass units through other units as long as they don't land on the same hex. :problem: That's the only way I can think they might have fixed it and kept the one unit per hex. Would be really nice if they would let you have two-three workers per hex as construction can tasked forever.
I think the pass through thing would go a long way. Age of Wonders 3 does this for example. They allow up to 6 units per stack but you can pass one 6 unit stack through another (own/ally) as long as they don't end up on the same hex. This works great. I still think allowing stacks would be better though. I'd be happy with default stacks being just 2 even so you can pass one unit over another without having a special rule, have one unit defending a city and still produce another in it, have a fighting ship defend an embarked unit, etc. all in a consistent way without having a bunch of different special case rules. It even open up the possibility of special unit upgrades that add "Leadership" or some such that increases the stack size. So maybe you have an Elite fighting unit with Leadership 1 that makes it so your stack size with that unit in it is 3 instead of 2. I'm not looking to create stacks of doom but the one unit per hex thing is a real pain to me in Civ5 that significantly deters from my enjoyment of the game. Again not enough to RUIN the experience, I still like Civ5 but it is enough to push it down below Civ4 or now Age of Wonders 3 (if you even consider it comparable.)

Asmodai wrote:
Trackman97 wrote:Maybe they've made it so you can pass units through other units as long as they don't land on the same hex. :problem: That's the only way I can think they might have fixed it and kept the one unit per hex. Would be really nice if they would let you have two-three workers per hex as construction can tasked forever.
I think the pass through thing would go a long way. Age of Wonders 3 does this for example. They allow up to 6 units per stack but you can pass one 6 unit stack through another (own/ally) as long as they don't end up on the same hex. This works great. I still think allowing stacks would be better though. I'd be happy with default stacks being just 2 even so you can pass one unit over another without having a special rule, have one unit defending a city and still produce another in it, have a fighting ship defend an embarked unit, etc. all in a consistent way without having a bunch of different special case rules. It even open up the possibility of special unit upgrades that add "Leadership" or some such that increases the stack size. So maybe you have an Elite fighting unit with Leadership 1 that makes it so your stack size with that unit in it is 3 instead of 2. I'm not looking to create stacks of doom but the one unit per hex thing is a real pain to me in Civ5 that significantly deters from my enjoyment of the game. Again not enough to RUIN the experience, I still like Civ5 but it is enough to push it down below Civ4 or now Age of Wonders 3 (if you even consider it comparable.)
Agreed, to bad that it looks like they're going the route of one unit per hex. :cry: Hopefully they at least will let you send units through each other. :?
True understanding comes when you can explain to someone why something works the way it works, not just that something works. I'm talking to you Quantum Mechanics :).

Trackman97 wrote:One thing that I hope they will have is the ability to colonize more than one planet. If they don't then, it's really counterintuitive (and would seem to go against the presented storyline in which we're trying to escape a dying world and give our species a better chance at survival by putting all of our eggs in one basket and then watching them fight to the death :roll: ) as civ has procedurally generated terrain, LT shows that it can be done with solar systems with much higher fidelity than is needed in a civ game, and doing so incredibly increases the replay ability of the game.
Well to answer my own question :shifty:, they will not be letting you colonize more than one planet . . . and . . . ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHH!!!!! :evil:

Although Firaxis have said they're not trying to slavishly copy Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, colonizing one planet is how it worked in SMAC, and there was plenty to do.

A lot of the fun is exploring the science fictional tech tree, which in some cases lets you interact in different ways with the alien life of the planet on which you've landed. Colonizing many planets would lose a lot of that focus -- it might be a better 4X game, but it wouldn't be as much of a Civ-style game.

Flatfingers wrote:Although Firaxis have said they're not trying to slavishly copy Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, colonizing one planet is how it worked in SMAC, and there was plenty to do.

A lot of the fun is exploring the science fictional tech tree, which in some cases lets you interact in different ways with the alien life of the planet on which you've landed. Colonizing many planets would lose a lot of that focus -- it might be a better 4X game, but it wouldn't be as much of a Civ-style game.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Though I think it would make for a more interesting game if they let you go between, let's say, three planets in a solar system. That's pretty believable that after you get set up and are starting to prosper that you could send small fleets between planets. Definitely couldn't have interplanetary battles as that would definitely be different from a civ game, but sending troops between planets would make for more interesting gameplay even if they had to push the deadline date back six months . . . years . . . :D jk

Trackman97 wrote:Well to answer my own question :shifty:, they will not be letting you colonize more than one planet . . . and . . . ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHH!!!!! :evil:
I'm fine with this one. You colonize one planet each game, I think doing more than one would substantively change the game. Having to manage multiple planets would create a need for a solar system or greater UI and start turning the game into more of a Master of Orion type game then a Civ/Alpha Centauri one.

Asmodai wrote:
Trackman97 wrote:Well to answer my own question :shifty:, they will not be letting you colonize more than one planet . . . and . . . ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHH!!!!! :evil:
I'm fine with this one. You colonize one planet each game, I think doing more than one would substantively change the game. Having to manage multiple planets would create a need for a solar system or greater UI and start turning the game into more of a Master of Orion type game then a Civ/Alpha Centauri one.
Yup. Ever played Emperor of the Fading Suns? On paper colonising loads of planets sounds awesome, but in practice there's just too damn much to do.

Just three planets and my brain imploded.
Image .... Yeah. :squirrel:

I was just thinking of maybe three planets at most, but thinking about it now, unfortunately to complex. :cry: Maybe LTX will fill this hole inside of me to be the leader of Earth as we colonize other planets, while being immortal and being able to speed up time to get through the grindy parts. :D

Heh, I'm looking forward to this one - and I honestly don't know what was meant earlier in the thread with Civ5 units not moving through an occupied hex. They do exactly that as long as they don't end their turn in a stacked state (as of latest version of Brave New World at least).

I wonder how different the affinities will be from ideologies... :think:
Without darkness, there is no light. Without light, there is no darkness.

Online Now